The online racing simulator
Video card for Compaq Evo D51s
(14 posts, started )
I have a Compaq Evo D51S/2.4ghz P4/40GB Hard drive/512mb ram and I'm thinking i just need a better video card to run LFS smoothly. I still have yet to play it but i feel like the original one isn't going to be good enough. I don't know a thing about video cards though. Can someone please point me in the right direction to a decent video card for playing LFS? Thank you
LFS does not require a top of the line video card to work, it can work on any old POS video card. Of course a new video card will give better performance. From what I could find on google, it seems your PC has an AGP slot, so you need to get an AGP video card. What I don't know is whether any card will fit in your PC, it might only take slimmer cards, not the larger ones.
#3 - wild
If it's similar to the ones I worked with whilst on my work experience, then you're very limited to space.

I don't think the specs are that bad, maybe you could be doing with another stick of ram Preferably a 1 Gigabyte stick.

Good luck
stonedome, which one is it?

if it is the minitower version, (the one on the right) you can get an agp card that will be cheap and good enough for lfs

how much will you spend? for $50 you can get an ati x1650 or ati 3450 (yay! woohoo!) or an nvidia 6200 (boo! blech!)

only problem... does the 845g do agp 8x? :/
Its the first one you linked to

I played it for the first time today and its horrible. I tried doing the training and i couldn't even get out of the pit garage it was lagging so bad. I don't know what the white number in the top left corner is but mine read 1.7. Then i set the res to 800x600 and switched from true to high color than did some single player races where that number was reading around 14. It would still lag some but i was able to make about five laps
Ive seen LFS running better on worse computers. Anyways, make sure that AA and AF are off, u will find them in the settings (not sure because im using own language interface). Set graphics to packed or something like that, it saves alot of video memory, atleast my textures went from 50mb to 20mb or something like that. Take down anything u find
#7 - wild
Quote from stonedome :Its the first one you linked to

I played it for the first time today and its horrible. I tried doing the training and i couldn't even get out of the pit garage it was lagging so bad. I don't know what the white number in the top left corner is but mine read 1.7. Then i set the res to 800x600 and switched from true to high color than did some single player races where that number was reading around 14. It would still lag some but i was able to make about five laps

The number in the top right would be your FPS (Frames Per Second). 1.7 :o

Yeah I think you need to invest your money wisely, in either a new system or a Graphics card. Although I don't think that a card will improve your performance vastly. Although don't hold me to this
Quote from wild :The number in the top right would be your FPS (Frames Per Second). 1.7 :o

Yeah I think you need to invest your money wisely, in either a new system or a Graphics card. Although I don't think that a card will improve your performance vastly. Although don't hold me to this

Ill confirm your 2 last sentences. It will bottleneck, but if you buy a bit better gfx card then it should do the thing. Keep us informed and i belive we can help u with choosing the videocard
it has an agp slot so there are options.

i found out some info about your system, it looks like a low profile card will fit in it.

it would help a lot if you could take a photo of the power supply of your computer so we can take a look at its capabilities. there's a sticker somewhere

we also need to know how much you are willing to spend. as i said earlier, $50 is enough to play lfs quite nicely. you could do it with $40 too, i guess.

it says it has a 175W power supply... my god...
I would not risk new graphic card with such a powersupply. The P4 itslef is enough power hungry and he could broke the powersupply by to much stressing it.
I would.

stonedome, seems only thing you can put in there is a low profile, low power consumption graphics card. You have some options.

first of all the specifics.

go here, get "CPU-Z 1.51 setup", install it, run it, screenshot it, post it here. Need to know the exact cpu.

also the actual wattage of the powersupply must be verified.
For some reason my print screen key won't work but i have another keyboard i still have to try out. But i installed and ran the cpu id and found out i have 256mb and not 512. I'll check out the power supply too
Well i think the reason my computer was running it so slow is because it is madly infected. Ive had this computer for about four years and Ive never ran an anti virus program. I have noticed its slowed down alot and then about two weeks ago it randomly shut down and when i booted it back up my start menu/tabs/ and desktop icons were all gone, wall paper was still there though and i could still get to the task manager men via alt ctrl delte. So i could still run tasks.

I was able to download a few programs where you could scan for free but then to remove the infections you had to pay for it, which i never did so it is still infected. I scanned using four programs and they were all showing between 200-400 infections found. Does any one know of any free programs i can download? I was also thinking about maybe reinstalling windows. Since i have nothing on the computer anyways and only use it for lfs. But ive never done that before and i have no idea where to start. I dont even think i have the windows xp disc to do that.

And also now when i go to run new task and try to run any of the anti virus programs i downloaded, they all get an error that says something like not enough access to open files. Which is weird because they all worked when i first installed them. And the sound stopped working yesterday aswell as im not getting an internet connection. But yet i get one at another computer here at our house thats on the same network. Im guessing all of this is because of the viruses (???) so im really trying to do something about it, i would be willing to pay if there isnt anything i can download for free.
oh and i forgot, there was a program called Super Anti Malware where i was able to remove about 200 infections. When i rebooted everything was still the same (no start menu, task bars, desktop icons) but i was actually able to play online and get about 10 fps, and up to 20 fps on the drift servers. It was still laggy especially on the starts but ive been playing online for about a week now, so im really hoping once i take care of the viruses lfs will run much better

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG