The online racing simulator
setup making issue (camber)
(13 posts, started )
Hi
Is it correct to change camber of each wheel to make the tyre temps as equal as possible, or should I set the camber value for a specific corner? I usually set the tyre pressure and camber different for each wheel depending on temperatures.
The most often recommended rule of thumb is to try and get the temperature on the inner 10-15 °C higher than the outside, and above the optimal temperature for the compound used.
It's a balance between keeping the tire as flat as possible mid-corner to maximize grip and keeping the temperatures even so that one part does not get too hot or too cold, keeping the grip level constant. This usually means you'll have a slightly positive camber mid-corner.
But to make them all flat in the corner I need to set a big difference between the outer and inner wheels. I'm currently trynig -3,5 (outer) and +2.5 (inner) on SO1 reversed . The most sets I have seen has only small difference of camber.
SO1 still has turns in both directions (namely the tight chicane o'death) so running asymmetric camber like that will hurt your exit speeds and laptimes.
Going along with what Bob said, you want negative camber on both sides of the car. This will keep the outside wheels as flat as possible in the greatest number of corners. Trying to keep all 4 wheels flat in only some of the corners (i.e. only lefts) is counter-productive on a track with both lefts and rights.

It's also important to be looking at the Live Camber. The number associated with the camber adjustment is not what you should be looking at.

Note that the elasticity of the tires may mean that changes of 1 degree may only show up as something like 0.5-0.8 degrees initially on the Live Camber. Hit "Drop" and the flex in the tires will be zeroed.
So if I understood it right, I shouldn't use asymmetric camber in non oval tracks? But still the most of the sets I have downloaded are with more or less asymmetric camber.
#8 - amp88
Quote from Kandis :So if I understood it right, I shouldn't use asymmetric camber in non oval tracks? But still the most of the sets I have downloaded are with more or less asymmetric camber.

You SHOULD use asymmetric camber on all tracks (unless there's a magical track that has an equal number of left and right turns of equal shape).
What amp88 said. This isn't rocket science. Over the course of a lap, you may have 70% left turns and 30% right turns. In this case, it would make sense to have lots of negative camber on the right side (but not so much that the tire is negatively cambered ALL the time) and a bit less negative camber on the right.
Quote from NightShift :The most often recommended rule of thumb is to try and get the temperature on the inner 10-15 °C higher than the outside, and above the optimal temperature for the compound used.

How it is possible to do this? Pressures of inner wheels should be very low
he means inner edge of the tyre surface, not the core of the tyre
Oh I thought he was talking about the inner and outer wheels not the tyre surface
That's what I meant, sorry for cutting some corners.

BTw regarding your remark, I think the consensus is in LFS there's a positive tendency to use too low pressures vs RL.

When you got enough power you don't lose too much top speed and you gain a lot of grip in corners, the XRG is a good example of this IMO.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG