The online racing simulator
TV Advice
(17 posts, started )
TV Advice
Hi all.

After spending a couple of days playing xbox/watching films on a hi def tv, then going back to mine decided I need to get one lol.

It will be in my room, so thinking 32" tv will be a good size, looking round I see will be between £330 - £400. Now I have narrowed it down to these 2:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsun ... /B0015CBBB4/ref=de_a_smtd
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshib ... /B001TUYQ46/ref=de_a_smtd

Now while the Toshiba is 1080 while the samsung is only 720, I know its a difference but from looking at tv in shops, the difference in small enough Im not too concerned about it. Anyone had any experience with either of these tv's? I have looked on most sites/stores I know but if you can suggest a better tv for the price or where to get these cheaper?

Thanks in advance.
Not to hijack your topic or anything, but I would advice yourselfe to go for a 42inch. monitor. By some strange reason it seems the best prices for what you get is around that size. Hell, I'v seen tellys at 42inc that is by far better than a smaller one, but still cheaper.
Depends on what you're looking for, I got my Goodmans 32" 720p TV for £300, now got it as a monitor and works wonders,
the only thing that lets it down is the sound, no bass quality in it, but thats what subs are for
#4 - Jakg
In a shop you wont be able to tell the difference as they'll be using 720P Sky HD material. If your using it as a monitor it's where 1080P comes into it's own.

@TVE - You won't find a 42" anyone would recommend for £400.

Without being rude i'd post on AVForums - way to many people get sucked in on specs on most forums, thus why people actually recommend Generic TV when they look awful.
From the 2 you suggested I'd say go with the Samsung. Save yourself a little money because it will be very hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080, especially on a smaller screen like that.

Just did a quick search on Amazon, why not this one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsun ... /B001UE8LV0/ref=de_a_smtd
Same size but less expensive, I can't find anywhere that says its 720p on there, but I can't find that info for the other Samsung either.
#6 - Jakg
The 4 series is 720P at 32", the 5 series (or at least the 556) is 1080P at 32".
Quote from Xaid0n :Depends on what you're looking for

A TV More seriously a Good tv, decent sound for a reasonable price.

Quote from Jakg :In a shop you wont be able to tell the difference as they'll be using 720P Sky HD material. If your using it as a monitor it's where 1080P comes into it's own.
Without being rude i'd post on AVForums - way to many people get sucked in on specs on most forums, thus why people actually recommend Generic TV when they look awful.

Hmmm well it will only be used as a normal TV and on Xbox (which iirc is only 720 anyway) so seems then that for my use 1080 isn't neccesary. Will try AVForums though, see if they can offer any advice.

Quote from UncleBenny :Just did a quick search on Amazon, why not this one?
Same size but less expensive, I can't find anywhere that says its 720p on there, but I can't find that info for the other Samsung either.

Hmmm I must of missed that one, thanks Looking at the details it seems to be same but for a cheaper price
#8 - G!NhO
Quote from UncleBenny :From the 2 you suggested I'd say go with the Samsung. Save yourself a little money because it will be very hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080, especially on a smaller screen like that.

Just did a quick search on Amazon, why not this one?

I have that one(or very similar), and i love it!
I bought it for 440 euro.

But mine has 1080p (1920x1080), ins't that full HD?
Quote from G!NhO :I have that one(or very similar), and i love it!
I bought it for 440 euro.
But mine has 1080p (1920x1080), ins't that full HD?

My sister has a samsung (42" though) and it is a good tv so I am leaning towards samsung unless someone comes up with something else. Yes 1920x1080 is full HD, the other is HD is 720 which usually has resoluion of 1366x768.
I've got a Samsung 42"(720p) and it looks awesome. A friend of mine spent more than twice as much on his Sony Bravia 46"(1080p) and it doesn't look near as good as my TV, Samsung makes some really good sets in my opinion.

One thing I recommend to everyone getting a new TV, buy/download one of those HDTV picture tuning DVD's, you'd be surprised how much better the picture looks when you calibrate it correctly!
From what I have seen in shops and friend/families samsung they do make some very good televisions, however reading some reviews online some models have got bad reviews.
When I finally make a choice I will have to sort out the tuning dvd you mentioned.

The more I read on these and people's responses it seems more and more likely that I will just have to pick one and hope it suits me.
Quote from UncleBenny :I've got a Samsung 42"(720p) and it looks awesome. A friend of mine spent more than twice as much on his Sony Bravia 46"(1080p) and it doesn't look near as good as my TV

Depends alot on the source of the material thats being sent to the TV too, but regardless, a properly setup 1080p should kick the crap out of a 720p set, aslong as the source is a pucker HD source thats sending a 1080p signal.
Quote from danowat :Depends alot on the source of the material thats being sent to the TV too, but regardless, a properly setup 1080p should kick the crap out of a 720p set, aslong as the source is a pucker HD source thats sending a 1080p signal.

On bigger TV's yes, but the smaller the TV the less its going to matter. At 32" I don't think you're going to see a huge difference, not enough to justify the price difference at least.

But yes, it depends a lot on setup too, there is no way his TV should look as bad as it does, we rip on him all the time about it and the fact that he needs to set it up properly. He claims there is no problem though haha.
I have an LG one, and with my xbox360 ,PS3 and SkyHD, it looks as good as anything else that was in the shop at the time.

Samsung consistantly get good reviews from many places, so I doubt you'd be dissapointed with one, but I'd really try and go for a full 1080p set if possible.

Personally, I'd go into a few stores and barter hard, there are MASSIVE bargains to be had in the stores ATM.
I would go for a full HD, it definatly looks better at 32 inch.
I've a 32" screen that only supports 720p, it's certainly not as crisp as a regular monitor image, and seems massively low res when using normal windows apps. I wouldn't buy any larger without getting a 1080p panel.
While agree that for a computer monitor i agree 1080 is better but I wont be using it as one. I will try to barter in a shop to see if I can get a 1080 one for cheaper, looking around on the internet they seem to be a good £70 - £100 more which puts it out on my price range.

TV Advice
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG