The online racing simulator
Low FPS drops?
(12 posts, started )
Low FPS drops?
Hello all

I purchased LFS S2 Patch Z a few months ago.
The last patch i used was a long time ago.

But on this Z i keep getting FPS drops, down to like 36FPS at times which is ridiculous?

Is there a bug? Memory leak at all?

Thanks.
Sorry! forgot to put my hardware:

- Intel Core2Quad Q6600 overclock 2.7GHz
- ATi HD4870 Overclock 800/1000
- 4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz
- 650W SLi Cert. PSU
- Windoze ¬_¬ XP SP3 MCE 2005 OEM
- 1280x1024 res blah
i have the same problem, only mine is down to 15 fps...if running xp, computer is too old, if running vista, not enough ram

i am not a techie, so thats all i can help with
If you have something like stable fps and from time to time frame drops you my try to disable in drivers or in game vsync
#5 - uiop
what does vsync actually do?
Vsync just allows the graphics card to send complete frames to the monitor when the monitor needs it (in sync with monitor refresh rate) as opposed to drawing more frames than needed.
Without Vertical sync it is possible that when a frame is sent to the display, it actually sends a mix of 2 frames as the cards frame buffer is partway through being updated when the frame is sent.

In short it can reduce "tearing" in fastmoving graphics and will clamp FPS to screen refresh rate.

To the OP, have you installed any texture packs or anything? or are you having this issue on the standard Z version?

are all your drivers (especially gfx and mobo chipset drivers) up to date?

do you have any other games you can get fps info from? just as a comparison

good luck.

SD.
Hello

Thanks for replying!

Yes i do have texture packs but i was getting FPS drops with the unmodified Z patch.

LFS without vsync is ugly and even without it, i get FPS drops.

I run the latest Catalyst (9.6) and latest nForce (15.25)

I believe the FPs drops are down the the game lack of support for multithreading.
There is a lot of physics and the game uses a single thread. Which in 2009, is totally bonkers.

It's not my graphics, i run Crysis: Warhead maxed out with higher than standard settings and i get consistent FPS.

I get a solid 75FPS (vsync) throughout the game, but on some occassions if i face certain directions, they plummet to 36FPS which i believe is down to bad coding for this day and age technology.
Quote from skymera :I believe the FPs drops are down the the game lack of support for multithreading.

Doesn't explain random FPS drops, although you're absolutely right about the lack of multithreading being one of LFS's weakest points.
I'm running LFS fine on a quad, no random drops.
Never had FPS drops, even in 32-car grid in last place I have ~50 fps

Maybe it's your antivirus scanning something?
Quote from skymera :
LFS without vsync is ugly and even without it, i get FPS drops.

I don't think your lfs is ugly without it since its doesn't improve quality in racing games a lot mostly in shooters and its not affect the quality(like clearer textures or the way AA or AF )or something but help if image being teared in few pieces when pan so i don't think this particular setting affects lfs also you could try to force triple buffering but i don't think it will make huge difference in case of lfs.

Quote from skymera :I believe the FPs drops are down the the game lack of support for multithreading.
There is a lot of physics and the game uses a single thread. Which in 2009, is totally bonkers.

I tried to disable it on my rig and it didn't give any effect but you my try to disable it on your computer.

For example in case of IL2 sturmovik disabling multithreading gives me 30 extra fps.
Forcing triple buffering gives me 20 fps in toribash but non of this settings affect lfs for me so you my try but will it work for you mostly depends of you rig (kinda lottery thing).
So try to disable multitreading but don't know will it give you any performance boost.
Wish you luck
Skymera, I would suggest running LFS with your system at stock speeds, I have very similar HW to you and @ 1920X1200 full quality, get over 300fps almost constantly without vsync, maybe the overclocks are causing something? its worth a try just to rule it out.

Do you have alot of other programs or processes runnning, when you play LFS?

Does this happen on singleplayer or hotlap mode, as well as multiplayer mode?

Good luck

SD.

PS. whats your minimum sleep value set to? (options misc)
#12 - Woz
vsync DOES NOT effect graphics quality AT ALL!

How can it be ugly with it turned off. The ONLY effect you will see is tearing but as this is not an FPS with snap like movements you should not even see that!

Low FPS drops?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG