The online racing simulator
First car opinion
(77 posts, started )
First car opinion
Dear lfs community,

I have been asking some friends and family members for some opinions on
a first car. I have been told that a 2003 Chevy Cavalier would be a wise
choice in car. As I am but a (almost) 15 year old canadian boy, i wanted somethis I could make look nice, and would be easy to maintain. I looked
around on Ebay and found this http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chevrolet-C ... %3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50. As i read about this car the more i liked it.
The first thing i read was "2003 Chevy Cavalier Supercharged" and that
last word made me say "oooo". I continued to read and seen this "Has GM Performance Parts Eaton M62 Supercharger kit. Car is Also intercooled. Will turn 13.50’s in the ¼ mile with Drag Radials." and this makes me happy
because it would be nice to have a speedy car. Yes i know its a first car
but if i like it I would be happy to keep it for years to come. just asking for an opinion on this idea.

P.S - I also read on the internet that this is a decent snow car (and we get alot of snow here in Canada! Eh?)
I wouldn't be so sure if it's a good idea to get such a fast car as your first.
I also doubt if the owner is going to even sell it to such a young guy.

I'm not saying that an inexperienced driver couldn't be able to kill himself in a slow car, but a fast car can turn the odds really up.

Also if your gonna buy a car with tuned engine you should really know all about it and be sure you can be able to fix it and afford fixing it (you never know).

-EDIT- I read the engine specs and he says it has 10:1 compression. That combined with charging doesn't usually mean a reliable engine. Tho I can't say for sure because I'm not familiar with the engine in question.
How much can you afford to spend? It's still 6 days and if US ebay is anything like it is here (Germany & Austria), it'll hit at least 6k. And then there's the reserve...
Why do you want something so fast? All you'll do is kill yourself or kill someone else. Get a cheap to run hatchback with good mileage, something like a Civic.
Problem #1, it's a Chevy.

Problem #2, it's a Cavalier.

Problem #3, it's a highly modified Chevy Cavalier.

Problem #4, could you pay for insurance on such a highly modified car.

Problem #5, if you could insure it, would you trust someone else modifying a car like that.

If you'd made it past #1, then see #2. If you make it past #2, then there's no hope for you.

Why did the guy put a new motor in it at 65k miles? See #1, if not see #2.

Why did the guy put a new transmission in it? See #1, if not see #2.

I'm not even going to mention the automatic transmission.

As for the snow, yes, my mother had a Cavalier when I started to drive. They go fantastic in the snow because they are a beastly heavy car for how physically small they are. My girlfriend also had a Pontiac Sunfire (same thing) and I drove it often in the winters. They go great in the snow, but I seriously doubt with a supercharged motor in it.
Are you serious Rodgers... It's just a shitty automashit Cavalier... I would stop my arguements there haha. Get a Civic and call it a day.
#7 - Migz
Are you people acctually allowed to insure such a car at sucha young age. If i tried to insure a car like that at just 17 id probably be rejected.
Quote from Riders Motion :Are you serious Rodgers... It's just a shitty automashit Cavalier... I would stop my arguements there haha. Get a Civic and call it a day.

Did you read it? Isn't that what I said?
Quote from mrodgers :Did you read it? Isn't that what I said?

Yeah but you wasted so much of your time writing something that makes sense.
Quote from Migz :Are you people acctually allowed to insure such a car at sucha young age. If i tried to insure a car like that at just 17 id probably be rejected.

And yes here a Cavy is considered a very normal car. I dont know what kind of cars you are allowed over there but here a 220hp car is considered a 'normal' first car...
#11 - Migz
Quote from Riders Motion :And yes here a Cavy is considered a very normal car. I dont know what kind of cars you are allowed over there but here a 220hp car is considered a 'normal' first car...

I'm not sure what car is a normal car over here either, but that car just seems way to unnormal. A supercharger? That just makes me instantly think FAST WHOOOOTTTTT, which is something which wouldnt be allowed for a first car here.

Also im not too car savvy but that car is 2.2 litre and i think the majority of people over here for a first car would only have something thats around 1.4 litre.

I dunno, to me it just seems like that cars wayyyyy too fast for a first car.
What age are you first allowed to start driving?
Just to let you guys know im not getting THAT car. Simply just a car to look at so i can see what i could do to a Cavalier. Please no Honda's. I dont like those cars. I also got reccomended for a Dodge Neon so what about that.

Also I am not getting this car now, but looking so when i get a job i can save up. And what would be your opinion on a Dodge neon. I was told they are good, cheap, and reliable but ugly as F*CK
America isn't as completely anti-insuring young drivers as the UK. Simple fact is most Americans can drive from 15/16 and generally have a couple years experience before they can drive alone. Get what you want, don't blame us when it blows up or you crash it.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :America isn't as completely anti-insuring young drivers as the UK. Simple fact is most Americans can drive from 15/16 and generally have a couple years experience before they can drive alone. Get what you want, don't blame us when it blows up or you crash it.

i was told to get a peice car for my first so when i crash it i wont care

P.S - Where i live you can drive at 14 with a fully licenced driver and at 16 you can drive by youtself or with one other person in the car
My personal opinion, don't bother with a car. You have snow where you are? Get yourself a late 80's to early 90's Toyota pickup with the 22RE motor. Wish I could get back into one myself, but I need room for 2 kids with one of them in a car seat still.

Why this vehicle? Change the oil and it will run like new forever. Don't bother with being religious about changing the oil and it will run great forever. Change the front brakes every 50k miles, you could set your watch to that. Change the rear brakes every 150k. Put a new clutch in it every 150k, simple to do yourself and save $1200 in shop fees by purchasing the parts for $100 and a weekend of time. Put a brick on the throttle and run around screaming in first gear at 7500 RPM all day long. Beat the piss out of it in the woods. Have an absolute blast in the snow (I recommend Goodyear Wrangler 30x9.50 on aluminum wheels, cuts through the snow fantastically.) Just plain old beat the living crap out of it and as long as you don't wreck it and winter salted roads doesn't eat it up, you could practically keep it forever.

I've never had a vehicle that I was as happy with as I was with my 89 Toyota pickup. Wish I still had it. 139,000 miles and it ran better than any vehicle I've owned or driven including anything I've owned brand new. (I wrecked it if you were wondering why I don't have it any more.)
Are those the Hiluxes you're refering to sir? They're most awesome.
He's probably talking about a Hilux, I've seen one with no body work left and the thing still drove by with the engine purring like new.

If you want a car that will last, get a used volvo 240DL, it's basicaly the Hilux of cars, it's also not bad on fuel. Volvo used to make good cars, and the 200 series was one of the best volvo series ever made.
Quote from Migz :I'm not sure what car is a normal car over here either, but that car just seems way to unnormal. A supercharger? That just makes me instantly think FAST WHOOOOTTTTT, which is something which wouldnt be allowed for a first car here.

Also im not too car savvy but that car is 2.2 litre and i think the majority of people over here for a first car would only have something thats around 1.4 litre.

I dunno, to me it just seems like that cars wayyyyy too fast for a first car.
What age are you first allowed to start driving?

My first car has a 4.0 liter...
You seem jealous...****
Quote from SidiousX :You seem jealous...****

Quote from Don't remember who [:( :]For UK boys, 1.6 engine is something unbelievably cool.

a
In germany, one gets serious above 2.0 Standart is 1.6, all the engines they build into Golfs and Astras
I would go for a neon srt4 before a modified cavalier. Don't listen to the sheeple who want you to get a boring civic, guys from the UK want you to drive cars as gutless as theirs :P
I own a 1.3l

But...being a rotary, its drink as much fuel as a v8 and is just as fast

My brother got a 2.5l twin turbo 1jz soarer for his first car, hasn't crashed yet and he's had it for 3 years...

alot of you people are pretty quick to jump
Quote from SidiousX :My first car has a 4.0 liter...

The flag besides your name says it all, so nothing special ^^

First car opinion
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG