The online racing simulator

Poll : Silverstone? Donington? Either? Don't care?

Closed since :
Keep the British GP at Silverstone!
Either, as long as there's a British GP!
Move the British GP to Donington!
Enough's enough, get rid of the British GP. (Silly prices, etc..)
#1 - SamH
British GP Preference - Silverstone or Donington?
The BBC's commentator group is populated by a lot of BRDC members (owners of Silverstone), and after watching and listening to the coverage of this weekend's race I'm left wondering if support for Silverstone, in preference to Donington, is just being sold really hard. So I thought I'd ask you lot.

Does it matter WHERE a British GP happens, just as long as it does?
After watching the race this weekend, I realized that Silverstone for some reson is ne of a few F1 tracks I still enjoy.

With the FIA running Donnington next year and FOTA possibly using Silverstone (rumors) maybe we won't have to decide which track.
Donington will not host the GP next year. I say that as I was there a fortnight ago, and every single atom of the place would need to be replaced to get it to F1 standard - track widths, car parking, access, paddock size, marshall space (including access roads for lorries, ambulances etc), track lengths, the new tunnel. I just don't see that it's possible to get from where we are now - a shit hole, with no secured funding and lacking credible planning permission - to an FIA F1 standard circuit in 12 months.

It might host it in 2011 onwards, but next year we'll be at Silverstone. You read it here first

Besides, I reckon Silverstone is actually a better circuit for F1 cars anyway, and with it's alternative configs caters for club racing too. Donington will also have configs, but from what I've seen they'll be rubbish, and ruin Donington for most of its customers.
#4 - SamH
I'm getting the impression that Simon Gillett is struggling to get Donington financed.. but I'm also sensing that Bernie and Max were trying to win friends and influence people at the BRDC by talking about Silverstone again this weekend. If Silverstone's going to get the GP back, I want better facilities and cheaper prices. Otherwise I'm happy to see the place die away.

If Gillett doesn't host the race at Donington next year, he'll be in breach of contract, and you can bet Max and Bernie will have built that as a get-out in the contract. The whole thing will be back up for re-negotiation, and Silverstone could very possibly win it back for another 10 year tenure or longer.

I don't think Silverstone's got all the history they make it out to have. Brooklands, sure.. even Brands Hatch has a bite of F1 history.. Silverstone's just an almost-flat airfield with a racetrack around it. It's not really an inspired track, is it? Let's be honest.
Quote from SamH :I'm getting the impression that Simon Gillett is struggling to get Donington financed.. but I'm also sensing that Bernie and Max were trying to win friends and influence people at the BRDC by talking about Silverstone again this weekend. If Silverstone's going to get the GP back, I want better facilities and cheaper prices. Otherwise I'm happy to see the place die away.

lol You don't ask for much. better facilities AND lower prices lol. Dude if you have that kind of attitude why don't you start your own race track and see how hard it is to provide Grade A facilities at a low cost while competing with other world wide tracks that get government funding (not that our circuits should BTW).

Or do you think the BRDC can magic up a few million to invest in a circuit that they then have to recoup by charging lower prices lol Typical UK want summit for nothin'

People mouth off about DOnington as well but at least Gillet has put his balls on the line to improve the freakin' place. All we do is criticise criticise criticise.
#6 - DeKo
I think i would prefer donington. I adore silverstone and the layout they used during the 70s/80s but the current one just seems really really boring, lets give donington a try.
Silverstone, no doubt. It has huge history, tho Formula 1 born here, so I'd prefer Silver
#8 - Bean0
We could have both...British and European GPs.

Donington hosted the European GP in 1993.
They'd be hard pressed to get it up to scratch in time for the 2010 season. Everything needs a total overhaul. I can't see Gillett finding the £80M needed, especially considering the financial climate and the ongoing rows within the F1 administration. As it stands now, F1 won't be at Donnington. Fingers crossed that we don't loose the GP altogether next year, we've had a round in every F1 championship so far, would be a great shame to break that record.
Quote from Bean0 :We could have both...British and European GPs.

Donington hosted the European GP in 1993.

Oh, so now you are a part of Europe again?
After what I know about tracks in the UK, I'd like to see Silverstone more. It is the only F1 standard track in the UK at the moment, if I'm right. Donnington Park is a track I really love, but the plans of building a new, Formula 1 conforme track are just bad. It is a great motorcycling and a great touring car track.
Actually I would be statisfied with Rockingham also, though this first chicane of the International circuit would be to narrow, and going through Turn One would kill all the Formula 1 engines. Somehow I do like that track. But staying with Silverstone wouldn't be the wrongest, through the Infrastructure is quiet awful, if I can believe the RTL commentators...
Anyways how about the roumours, that bernie plans a city race in London? At least he asked the city of London for a race in 2012 in July-August...
#12 - 5haz
Brands hatch!
#13 - SamH
Quote from Intrepid :lol You don't ask for much. better facilities AND lower prices lol. Dude if you have that kind of attitude why don't you start your own race track and see how hard it is to provide Grade A facilities at a low cost while competing with other world wide tracks that get government funding (not that our circuits should BTW).

Or do you think the BRDC can magic up a few million to invest in a circuit that they then have to recoup by charging lower prices lol Typical UK want summit for nothin'

People mouth off about DOnington as well but at least Gillet has put his balls on the line to improve the freakin' place. All we do is criticise criticise criticise.

It would seem to be optional. 28% of tickets sold, and they make a profit? http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news ... or-cuts-in-ticket-prices/

That's typical of British economics too, "charge what the market will bear". Alternatively, the companies that follow "stack 'em high sell 'em cheap" economics make money - like ASDA and TESCO. Divide the ticket price by 2, fill the stands, make more money, increase exposure, prevent resentment. A cheap coffee shop makes more money than an expensive one, because a cheap coffee shop always has customers. When a coffee shop has few or no customers, it *appears* to be closed or crap. It's simple economics.. doesn't take a genius to figure it out, Alan.
Road race in London at the same time as we host the Olympics. I can't see it happening.
from the thoughts of a sane person, you'd be right, but from the thoughts of bernie: "BIIIIIIIIG MONEY!" And you know, if he pays a bit, maybe the city of london will say "Yes"... everyone seems to be buyable nowadays
Quote from SamH :It would seem to be optional. 28% of tickets sold, and they make a profit? http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news ... or-cuts-in-ticket-prices/

That's typical of British economics too, "charge what the market will bear". Alternatively, the companies that follow "stack 'em high sell 'em cheap" economics make money - like ASDA and TESCO. Divide the ticket price by 2, fill the stands, make more money, increase exposure, prevent resentment. A cheap coffee shop makes more money than an expensive one, because a cheap coffee shop always has customers. When a coffee shop has few or no customers, it *appears* to be closed or crap. It's simple economics.. doesn't take a genius to figure it out, Alan.

Then start your OWN track if you are so cock sure about your economic knowledge. I have experience organising large events and selling tickets so I roughly know how the system works.

Your assessment of a coffee shop is almost laughable beyond belief... you almost sound like an economic student.

Let's talk about markets and prices. Most circuits that see empty stands are subsidised by Governments. So it's not anything to do with market prices and demand. If the Government intervenes then any talk about the tracks and markets forces becomes void. The market didn't DEMAND a race in the FIRST PLACE. Of course you should know that coz your an expert right?

Silverstone saw a capacity crowd. That means the price was right. If it wasn't then prices would either come down or Silverstone would shut up shop. We can not predict what would happen.

As I say if you're so suer about your way of pricing tickets and owning coffee shops go and apply for an job at Silverstone or start your own race circuit/coffee shop. Or are you doing the TYPICAL British Economic view of 'if it aint right then just moan and do nowt about it yourself'.

Just to add selling things for a lower price doesn't always see a rise in sales.... I have known personally companies raising prices on products and see an upturn in sales. It's NO WHERE near as clear cut as you FOOLISHLY make out.
Running a kart event for 12 year olds ≠ Running an international sporting event
Quote from tristancliffe :Running a kart event for 12 year olds ≠ Running an international sporting event

I have never run a kart event and nor would I wish too
#19 - 5haz
Quote from tristancliffe :Running a kart event for 12 year olds ≠ Running an international sporting event

Regarding the size of the people's wallets and egos. they're probrably not that dissimilar.
#20 - SamH
Quote from Intrepid :Then start your OWN track if you are so cock sure about your economic knowledge. I have experience organising large events and selling tickets so I roughly know how the system works.

I just want to respond by saying "don't be such an ****, Alan", but I won't.

Suffice it to say I was a business development consultant and a business process development manager for almost all of my working life up until the millennium. I've worked in industries ranging from brass casting through computer manufacture through live concert events. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't run a karting track/website, think again.
Quote from SamH :I just want to respond by saying "don't be such an ****, Alan", but I won't.

Suffice it to say I was a business development consultant and a business process development manager for almost all of my working life up until the millennium. I've worked in industries ranging from brass casting through computer manufacture through live concert events. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't run a karting track/website, think again.

I haven't trusted consultants and development managers ever since I heard business courses don't even teach students the origins of money (though that was just one course)

I have not mentioned karting at all in this whole debate nor has my own experience from event organisation and ticket selling come from karting. I invested my own money and my own time to do some stuff which happened to work quite well

Only Trollstan Cliffe brought it up karting because he has some odd personal issues with me.

You said you wanted better facilities and cheaper prices. With the current huge expansion of the monetary supply (which I assume you have factored in) this is almost a totally unrealistic proposition without massive investment. What in your opinion could Silverstone do to improve facilities and lower prices? And if you do believe in your own opinion why are you not investing your OWN money into a project liek this (assuming you aren't)?
#22 - SamH
Quote from Intrepid :I haven't trusted consultants and development managers ever since I heard business courses don't even teach students the origins of money (though that was just one course)

Umm.. okay.. Seems a bit narrow-minded and like an extraordinarily mind-numbing and stupid perspective to me, devoid of any grounds or rational justification, but who am I to judge? :rolleyes:

Quote from Intrepid :What in your opinion could Silverstone do to improve facilities and lower prices? And if you do believe in your own opinion why are you not investing your OWN money into a project liek this (assuming you aren't)?

I think the 30 million investment they promised ~2001, when economic times were roaring, and yet never delivered on (apart from a new access road) would have been a good start. I'm off for my dinner now, but I'm pretty sure you could turn up details from somewhere on the net. They didn't do any of the improvements because they didn't think Bernie would follow through with his threat to leave Silverstone. Donington STILL MIGHT manage it in time, even AFTER the economic downturn, and they're spending shedloads more money on more changes. If Donington could do it without govt grants, the BRDC's deep pockets coulda done more than they did.
Wait, the expensive tickets to see the GP at Silverstone are primarily due to the cost of providing the facilities?

And here's me and the rest of the world thinking it's because Bernie charges a fee for the "privilege" of hosting a GP, and then grabs all the circuit's advertising revenue too. All they're left with is gate receipts, which either have to be as high as is sustainable to cover Bernie's "fee", or low and receive government subsidy. No way in hell should my tax money go towards subsidising a grand prix, aka going into Bernie's pockets.
Quote from TFalke55 :Actually I would be statisfied with Rockingham also, though this first chicane of the International circuit would be to narrow, and going through Turn One would kill all the Formula 1 engines. Somehow I do like that track.

You must be joking lol. There's no way they could get 100,000 people into and back out of Rockingham on a weekend

And I don't think T1 would kill the engines - Indianapolis?

Altho, saying that, you can see the entire track at once at Rockingham

EDIT: And agree with the thing about the old Silverstone layout - played it in rFactor and its a blast!
#25 - SamH
@ STROBE.. you nicked all my reserve ammunition But yes, you're exactly right.. and while I would have said no, taxes to fund Bernie is not an option, we already paid Bernie £200 million for TV rights. Right now, that's not looking much like value for money going into the future.

The BBC are confident that as things stand, the contract would be broken by FOM next year and they'd be able to walk away. Still, extra taxes for the privilege of paying £500 for a weekend pass to a field in Oxfordshire.. that's not an option.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG