The online racing simulator
Engine braking: How it really works
(72 posts, started )
If you own or drive a manual transmission equiped vehicle on a regular basis you use engine braking more than you realize. But alot of people don't know how or why engine braking occures.

I'm writing this article to explain how engine braking works and to explain away alot of the misconceptions surrounding this phenomenon.

Common misconceptions consist of the following:

-Air in the crank case causing resistance
-Friction in the engine causing resistance
-Compression

I will start by stating how an engine actualy intakes air, because that is an important part of how engine braking actualy works.

An engine idles because the intake is restricted so that the vacuum is just enough to keep the engine at a fixed speed but not enough to stop the engine completely. An engine is in a sense an air scavenger, it will take in as much air as the intake system will allow.

If you completely removed the throttle butterfly, or even just opened it completely with the engine unloaded, it would accelerate untill it could not take in any more air provided there is sufficient fuel. Unfortunately this is always far faster than the engine was designed for and it will probably rev itself apart in a short time.

This is actualy how restrictor plates work as well, they restrict the extra overhead that the intake system would normaly allow. This means that as the engine hits higher speeds it actualy starts to run out of air and this causes a reduction in power. Normaly it is not enough to cut into the redline of the engine, but in extreme use it can.

Now on to the misconceptions.

-Air in the crank case causing resistance
Air in the crank moves freely around above the oil in the pan and is unrestricted, there is usualy a vacuum line hooked up to the crank case vent to prevent air and gasses from building up.

The air mass causes very little resistance because as one piston moves down there is always another moving up. So the air in the crank never gets compressed, only pushed around. An engine can always overcome the effort needed to move this air mass, even with the throttle closed.

-Friction in the engine causing resistance
Friction does have a very small part in lowering engine speed with the throttle off, but it is no where near enough to cause the heavy braking effect seen in the lower gears on some vehicles. If it where that intense the engine would simply stop rotating completely.

-Compression
This is probably the most common misconception, and people also use the wrong term in conjunction with it. Compression acts as a spring, if it isn't released it will return most of the energy it takes to complete. Not to mention that in multiple cylinder engines it is almost always paired with a power stroke.

Compression braking is only seen in diesel engines, and it works only because of special equipment added to that engine. More on this after I explain how engine braking on gasoline burning engines works.

Now onto how it actualy works.

Engine braking happens when an engine is reved up to a higher than idle speed and then the throttle is closed, since the engine is essentialy an air scavenger it will still try to take in enough air to maintain it's current speed. Because the throttle is closed it will generate a vacuum in the intake system and even in the cylinders.

The engine is now generating an opposite force, instead of applying torque in the forward direction it is resisting the rotation of the transmission, it is trying to slow down because the vacuum in the intake and cylinders is acting on the pistons with much greater force.

The vacuum will increase or decrease as engine speed climbs or falls, if you rev it higher and release the throttle it will generate more braking force than at lower RPMs, additionaly, because of the force multiplying of the gears in the transmission you will experiance more engine braking in lower gears.

This is also largely effected by the shape of the cylinders, for instance:

You have two engines, both are 1 litre with four cylinders. The first one has a short stroke, but a large bore. The second has a long stroke and a narrower bore. Both still have the same displacement but are of different shapes. Intake and exhaust are identical.

Provided the transmission ratios are the same, the short stroke engine will always experiance more engine braking in any given gear than the long stroke engine. This is because the surface area the vacuum can act on is larger in the short stroke engine because the pistons have a larger surface area.

How diesels achive engine braking is a bit more complicated.

A diesel engine has no butterfly valve in the throttle body, they accelerate or slow down by increasing or decreasing the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders. There is no vacuum to slow the engine down when the throttle is released, it slows simply because combustion is insufficient to maintain speed without the fuel from an open throttle.

Compression in a diesel works exactly the same as in a gasoline engine, it returns most of the energy it takes when it springs back. However, because there is no vacuum there is nothing preventing the engine from accelerating on a down hill section of road even when the throttle is closed.

This was and sometimes still is a problem for trucks, so several special devices where invented to prevent the problem.

Most work on the same principal but go by different names, I will simply call them compression release brakes.

A compression release brake does exactly that, it releases the compression before it has a chance to return the energy back to the vehicle. You've probably heard it before, a machine gun like sound from a transport slowing down. Even with mufflers installed a compression brake is very loud. Loud enough that I have wittnessed drivers using them as horns to scare slow drivers infront of them.

Another device used less commonly on diesels is an exhaust restrictor, it essentialy increases the pressure in the exhaust system puting resistance on the exhaust stroke and thus reducing the speed of the vehicle.

I hope this clears up some of the mystery surrounding engine braking, and I may revise and add to this if I find I missed anything. Also, feel free to ask questions. I realy want to squash the myths surrounding this because I hear them on a regular basis.
This kind of cleared a lot of things up. Just to be sure:
    • As the pistons go down it creates a vacuum in the cylinders.
    • The vacuum wants to pull the pistons up while they are moving downward, slowing the piston's motion further, thus reducing crankshaft speed.
    Right?

In the US we usually call compression release brakes "jake brakes". I don't usually hear them but when I do they startle me.
    Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... mHKZY&feature=related
    That is correct, with the throttle closed the vacuum "pulls" on the piston faces, slowing the engine.

I was going to call them jake brakes, but I figgured I'd call them by what they do for simplicity. There are areas in canada where the use of them is restricted, but on open highways where there are a lower number of houses near by, they are permitted. I hear them alot when I travel up to my trailer, but other than that I never hear them in the city.
    Somehow i have a feeling this will turn into 5+ pages of argument fairly quickly

All i know and have ever wanted to know is that its there and i like it!
    Quote from sil3ntwar :Somehow i have a feeling this will turn into 5+ pages of argument fairly quickly

All i know and have ever wanted to know is that its there and i like it!

I knew there where people that woulden't agree when I posted it, but I have the experiance and mechanical knowlege to back up what I stated as fact.

I have been working with mechanical devices of every kind since I was old enough to use a screwdriver. I've been working with engines and learning about them since grade school.

Additionaly, I trained with a Honda certified mechanic.

Other people base what they state as facts on how they think it works, without actualy knowing how it does, or all the variables and forces involved. I base my facts on tried and tested experiance.
    Well, technically, it's the air pressure in the crankcase that's pushing up on the piston.
    Quote from rotareneg :well, technically, it's the air pressure in the crankcase that's pushing up on the piston.

Not realy, since the vacuum is going to be alot stronger than the air pressure in the case pushing up. The engine is trying to suck in air but is restricted.

Edit: I was wrong about the above, I realized my error after. See below and first post has been edited.
    Yep, 5 pages of arguments starting... now!

Quote from DragonCommando :Not realy, since the vacuum is going to be alot stronger than the air pressure in the case pushing up. The engine is trying to suck in air but is restricted.

Yes, really. That's how vacuums work. The vacuum doesn't 'suck', the air on the other side pushes.
    #9 - oli17
    thanks for this, will read when exams are over - i have a theory that the less unrelated stuff i learn, the more "important" stuff i'll maintain (e.g. Return on Capital Employed :really
    My vacuum cleaner sucks up dust.
    Quote from danthebangerboy :My vacuum cleaner sucks up dust.

No, the dust is pushed in by all the air rushing in to fill the vacuum.
    The dust sort of acts as a fluid anyway, doesn't it? I mean, they make sand pumps and sand is similar to dust.
    omg, don't let scipy see this thread
    That was a good read, and here I thought engine braking was just due to all the friction in the engine.

Does the vacuum in the engine have any impact on the exhaust? I hear people say (especially cops) that you shouldn't use engine braking to slow down because it causes the exhaust to make a lot more noise. Is there any truth to that? Also, does the vacuum hurt the exhaust in any way?
    Quote from shiny_red_cobra :
    Does the vacuum in the engine have any impact on the exhaust? I hear people say (especially cops) that you shouldn't use engine braking to slow down because it causes the exhaust to make a lot more noise. Is there any truth to that? Also, does the vacuum hurt the exhaust in any way?

So called casual cars on normal every day usage don't make more noice when engine braking, I mean at least the noise is bigger when accelerating. Of course a rally car with anti-lag is a different story.

It doesn't hurt it and there's no vacuum in the exhaust side, only in the intake side.
    If your exhaust has been heavily modified (or broken) engine braking can be really loud. My previous car, a '87 Cavalier, had no cat and a rusted out exhaust pipe right before the muffler. It was pretty loud (but apparently not too loud as I never got a ticket for it) when accelerating, but when decelerating it would POP and BANG like a rally car and then transition to a loud BRRRRRRRRR sound.
    My car also pops and rattles when the throttle is lifted, but it definitely is a lot more noisier when accelerating.
    The exhaust shoulden't make more noise unless the engine misses on lift off. Most cars made for the street shoulden't backfire or miss under normal driving, even when engine braking.

Infact when engine braking you will sometimes hear even less noise than expected because most newer vehicles cut or reduce fuel when the throttle closes at high engine speeds.

Once the engine gets past intake and compresses, as long as there is ignition, the expanding exhaust gasses will increase the pressure before the valve opens for the exhaust stroke. So there will be no vacuum in the exhaust system, the exhaust pressure will just drop noticably as it would when ever you close the throttle.

Intake noise may increase, but I doubt it would be noticable.

I think that misconception comes from transports equiped with engine brakes. As I stated, engine brakes are ususaly very loud even when equiped with a muffler.
    I hear a lot of popping when I'm engine braking. It's pretty much non stop above a certain RPM. The popping from the intake is actually louder then the popping from the exhaust. Though I get a similar but much quieter popping at idle from the intake and exhaust both.
    Quote from Bob Smith :No, the dust is pushed in by all the air rushing in to fill the vacuum.

I never thaught of it that way, but it does make alot of sense.

Gasses arn't like liquids or solids, they spread out without resistance, but if there is a higher pressure it will always equalize with the lower one.

So yes, it is technicaly the air pushing up, but only because the pressure is lower above the pistons due to the vacuum in the cylinders.

I have edited the first post to correct my error.
    Enlightenment !!
    DragonCommando:

What a satisfying feeling to read your post on "Compression Braking" (NOT) and finally have a solid grasp of what's actually happening! This has been a vexing issue for me (and I'm sure many others) for quite a while and in an effort to Google my way to an answer, I had to travel through the minds of many uninformed posters who demonstrated a vast ignorance of the subject (fortunately, during my journey, I was not wearing my good shoes...ahh, the Pythons). BTW, I suspect from your frequent use of single "L's" in spelling (ie:actualy) that you are not from the colonies.

Many of the other articles I found drifted off into Jake Brake land, which was of little use, and some got too heavily into thermodynamics.

Thanks again for the 411! I have saved your post in my favorites and have already shared it with several friends and associates. It's not .org, or .gov (my preferred sources), but accomplished it's purpose. Have you considered a visit to Wikipedia...the definition there is in desperate need of your services!

Cheers,

Steve Waclo EE, Ret.
    Alot of Diesels dont have throttle plates or exhaust restrictors but still brake like a petrol....

Mechanical drag must make up atleast 40% of engine braking if not more... If not it means that the throttle flap vacuum in the intake is many times stronger than that of the pressure in say a 10:1 compression ratio stroke...

Altho it will help a bit, i think its not almost solely throttle vacuum that creates engine braking. Without fueling, an engine is just a heavy compressor....
    Quote from DragonCommando :Common misconceptions consist of the following: -Air in the crank case causing resistance

It's mostly movment of air in the crankcase and partialy due to friction in the engine. If you have a fuel injection engine and manual shift, go down a hill, turn off the ignition, and the engine braking is about the same regardless of throttle position (closed or open).

For the flow above the cylinders, the air makes a pretty good spring, any air that gets into the engine, gets compressed, but then that air pushes back with as much force as it took to compress it. Throttle position with ignition off doesn't matter much, because it just changes the amount of air going into and out of the cylinders, with the throttle closed the forces above the cyclinder are less, and with the throttle open the forces above the cylinder are more, but over time the forces cancel during the normal cycle of an engine, because there is little "hysteresis" when air is compressed and allowed to re-expand.

The air underneath is a significant source of resistance, as it has to flow from cylinder to cylinder, which consumes power. This is why drag vehicles use a vacuum pump to reduced the amount of air in the crankcase.

For additional engine braking, diesel trucks use a "jake brake", which releases the compressed air above the cylinder via yet another valve in each cylinder, timed so that there is force used to compress the air, then the valve opens and releases that higher pressure air so that the air doesn't return the force back to the piston as it moves back down.
    noise during engine braking? Listen to the first bit here. I'm off and on the throttle while exiting the pits. lots of pops and crackle (microphone is inside the car, attached to the roll cage). That was one of the cool things about that car. It scared the piss out of people when I drove it around town. And yes, I did drive it every day like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZXbYLaRAlw
    Quote from JeffR :The air underneath is a significant source of resistance, as it has to flow from cylinder to cylinder, which consumes power. This is why drag vehicles use a vacuum pump to reduced the amount of air in the crankcase.

No. The crankcase is very open in the vast majority of engines. Air can freely flow from one cylinder to another. In addition, the crankcase is vented to the intake downstream of the throttle butterfly.

(72 posts, started )
    FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG