The online racing simulator
Multiple specialized aero packages?
As most of you may know, teams in some race series fit their cars with aero packages designed to suit the type of track, or even an individual track? In my opinion, a version of such a setup could work in LFS, instead of the one-aero-package-for-all-tracks setup we currently use. For example, South City could use a high downforce package similar to the ones Formula 1 teams use in Monaco, while comparitively flat out tracks like Westhill could use a lower downforce setup, and the Kyoto oval gets a specialized oval package. Each aero package would have the same range of adjustment. Of course, each wing package affects drag, so each one will be a compromise. What I had in mind was that it would be used as an additional option in setup (with about four options available (high, medium, and low downforce, along with "Oval"), and apply only on certain cars. (GTRs would simply use one wing, while higher-powered open wheelers, for example, would be allowed several packages.)
I agree, espacially the formula one cars up to 2008 have lots of adjustments on aero. I think GTR's also have adjustments for tracks but indeed less than formula one cars.

I don't think lower formula cars similar fox and FO8 have these adjustments. The FOX is so underpowerd it has no use to have a special adjustments for city tracks just as for the FO8.
Only on ovals the package might be different, smaller front and rear wings which are more efficient at high speed but maximum possible downforce generated is a lot less than with regular wings.

What would be also very nice for the bf1, different tyres at each track. The tyres used on monza and monaca are very different, this was even more the case in 2006 with the tyre war that was at that time going on at that time. But their are already other topics about the tyre problems.

I certainly agree to different aero packages, but i think only the bf1 would be really affected. Special aero-package for oval would give topspeed of 20-30km/h higher then its current topspeed. Downforce might not be much more on city tracks, because F1 regulations forbid a bigger and/or higher rear wing.
^^^ yep i agree
Well, you CAN adjust the amount of downforce
Quote from RasmusL :Well, you CAN adjust the amount of downforce

You are missing the point.

F1 cars up up to 2008 seaon have specialized body-kits and wings for extreme tracks. A BF1 with aero package for monza would really suck at monaco. Even suspension is specially adjusted for some tracks. I don't mean different settings but really different parts.

For ovals it is much more extreme, outside wheels are usually bigger then inner side, smaller wings, which are much more efficient in generating a little bit downforce. Also the tyres-compounds are not the same as on normal tracks giving better grip then regular tyres at high speed.

Big wings cause a lot more drag at high speeds even at minimal settings and you don't need much downforce on an oval track. All the small winglets and weird shapes on the bodywork of an F1 car are not designed for ovals and not optimal for 340+km/h. Also the diffuser will most likely be a different shape which would be really bad below 200km/h but great at speeds over 300km/h

F1 don't drive on ovals, but if they did they would use the same small wings as indy/cart series on the big 2mile ovals. So an 2006 F1 car with aero package for an big oval-track will reach 390-410km/h or even a lot more...and on south city it will really feel like a very different car so many parts will be replaced by parts designed for low-speed normal tracks.

edit: tried to correct the worst typos
I have my doubts about LFS simulating aerodynamics well enough for the shape of the wing to have an effect - matter of fact is, a broken front wing makes no difference currently, unless it hits the ground!
Quote from RasmusL :I have my doubts about LFS simulating aerodynamics well enough for the shape of the wing to have an effect - matter of fact is, a broken front wing makes no difference currently, unless it hits the ground!

I think it doesn't mind really, because actually de drag force is calculated multipling the speed by a value (I think), so diferente aero kits have different values and that does the trick

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG