The online racing simulator
Possible drivers for 2010
(33 posts, started )
How will the drivers line up be in 2010?
And who will be in the new teams?
Do you have any suggestions?

Maybe Bruno Senna has a chance now, Sato and Davidson maybe?
#2 - wild
This list could go on and on with the possible people who could enter the sport.

Quote from aroX123 :Maybe Bruno Senna has a chance now, Sato and Davidson maybe?

Senna will more than likely be in F1 next year. Davidson would be nice to see back in F1, he's stated on air that he would like to go back so would be nice. As for Sato I'm not sure if many teams will take him on
Expect a few 'pay as you go' drivers! Aint F1 great
What's the word of USGPE and "american" drivers? Danica? Busch? Villeneuve is even hinting at it...

God forbid Scott Speed?
Yea, Villeneuve said like, "i miss f1, now as they have slicks".
Would be fun to see him back in action
Quote from lizardfolk :What's the word of USGPE and "american" drivers? Danica? Busch? Villeneuve is even hinting at it...

God forbid Scott Speed?

Well, Villeneuve isn't American, so if they're going for an all-American team he won't be in the cards.
Weren't USGPE thinking about getting Carl Edwards?
Quote from JackDaMaster :Weren't USGPE thinking about getting Carl Edwards?

I heard about that but I thought that was just a random rumor...

Hmm, Edwards would be interesting. He's certainly fit enough to do the job. USGPE Danica/Edwards?
#9 - JJ72
umm is danica remotely up for the job?
If danica gets into F1 I would seriously consider watching the season.
Quote from MAGGOT :Well, Villeneuve isn't American, so if they're going for an all-American team he won't be in the cards.

Depends how you define American. Technically he is Canadian, but also American, since he comes from North America. I call it a loophole in USGP's recruiting techniques!
Quote from JJ72 :umm is danica remotely up for the job?

No. While she is far (and quite far actually) from the worst open wheel driver (that would be Scott Speed, Yuji Ide, and Milka Duno ). She is seriously one of the most overrated drivers in North America. All this hype and she's only won 1 IndyCar race...I would feel more comfortable if her won more races or dominating as Bourdais did in ChampCar. But she didn't and IMO there's a lot more suitable drivers for the F1 seat

EDIT:
This is very old but there's still the idea of Kyle Busch/Danica Patrick being the USGPE lineup: http://www.nascar.com/2009/new ... sch.open.to.f1/index.html

I'd rather see Carl Edwards than Busch tbh.
Quote from boosterfire :Depends how you define American. Technically he is Canadian, but also American, since he comes from North America. I call it a loophole in USGP's recruiting techniques!

Only someone from Quebec would forfeit a Canadian to the south!

Quote from lizardfolk :EDIT:
This is very old but there's still the idea of Kyle Busch/Danica Patrick being the USGPE lineup: http://www.nascar.com/2009/new ... sch.open.to.f1/index.html

I'm sure that even after Danica retires that her name will come up as a possible driver for any given team, just because she's a female and a banner child for women in racing. That being said, I do think she is quite talented, but I don't think she would be successful in F1.

Quote :I'd rather see Carl Edwards than Busch tbh.

I'd rather see Edwards than Busch, too (hate that squealy little weasel) but I'd much prefer a proper road course racer to make it into F1. It would prevent the NASCAR shows from ruining F1 more than the FIA has already. No names have been officially announced and already the media has made me hate USGPE because of sheer volume of coverage. And I don't even watch TV! Just think about how frickin annoying it'll get once a NASCAR driver moves over to it.
Quote from MAGGOT :

I'd rather see Edwards than Busch, too (hate that squealy little weasel) but I'd much prefer a proper road course racer to make it into F1. It would prevent the NASCAR shows from ruining F1 more than the FIA has already. No names have been officially announced and already the media has made me hate USGPE because of sheer volume of coverage. And I don't even watch TV! Just think about how frickin annoying it'll get once a NASCAR driver moves over to it.

Dont know, would a NASCAR driver moving over to F1 suddenly make F1 more popular than NASCAR in the States? Dont know, media coverage hardly annoys me, even if it's grotesque amounts like NASCAR. What annoys me more is good series getting little or poor TV coverage (V8 Supercar, ALMS)

EDIT: Wait...why hasn't anyone mentioned Marco Andretti? Names mentioned in link with USGPE are: Danica Patrick, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Jonathan Summerton, Danica Patrick, Graham Rahal and A J Allmendinger but no Marco Andretti?
Quote from lizardfolk :Dont know, would a NASCAR driver moving over to F1 suddenly make F1 more popular than NASCAR in the States? Dont know, media coverage hardly annoys me, even if it's grotesque amounts like NASCAR. What annoys me more is good series getting little or poor TV coverage (V8 Supercar, ALMS)

Not more than NASCAR, but definitely more than necessary. I totally agree with you on the little/poor TV coverage, though. I'd kill for proper TV coverage of Aussie V8s, BTCC, WTCC and the like in North America. And by proper, I mean full races with full commentary done well (like SPEEDTV's coverage of ALMS, for instance, which I think is generally very good). CBS's coverage of ALMS, on the other hand, is shite.

Quote :EDIT: Wait...why hasn't anyone mentioned Marco Andretti? Names mentioned in link with USGPE are: Danica Patrick, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Jonathan Summerton, Danica Patrick, Graham Rahal and A J Allmendinger but no Marco Andretti?

Damn, didn't even occur to me. Allmendinger and Andretti could be a great match. I know Andretti has a lot to live up to with his name, but I do think he's got a lot of his grandfather's talent in him.
Quote from MAGGOT :
Damn, didn't even occur to me. Allmendinger and Andretti could be a great match. I know Andretti has a lot to live up to with his name, but I do think he's got a lot of his grandfather's talent in him.

Two things make me think that Andretti should be seriously considered:

1. F1 tester 2006-2007 with Honda and apparently didn't do too bad.
2. Pure open wheel guy with lots of experience for someone his age. IndyCar and A1GP and he even scored a podium in A1GP I believe. Better candidate than Patrick imo.
I don't know why the team has to be so restrictive in who is hires. F1 should be about maximising every little detail, and what's the point of having two sub-standard drivers when you can have two exceptional drivers? It just doesn't make sense unless their investors demand it. Either way it's restrictive to performance.
Quote from lizardfolk :Two things make me think that Andretti should be seriously considered:

1. F1 tester 2006-2007 with Honda and apparently didn't do too bad.
2. Pure open wheel guy with lots of experience for someone his age. IndyCar and A1GP and he even scored a podium in A1GP I believe. Better candidate than Patrick imo.

Adam Carroll, the Irish driver, who won A1, has been linked to the potential Lola F1 team, but I have my doubts if anyone who contested A1 would be half decent, as I dont think the drivers in such a league as a1 are of a high calibre (IMO)
Quote from pacesetter :Adam Carroll, the Irish driver, who won A1, has been linked to the potential Lola F1 team, but I have my doubts if anyone who contested A1 would be half decent, as I dont think the drivers in such a league as a1 are of a high calibre (IMO)

But then what classes are of a high calibre and how can you prove who really is GOOD when money is such a big factor in a drivers success?
It sure is restrictive.

But if they must get American drivers, the only two good road course drivers born in the USA in the current IRL grid are Hunter-Reay and Rahal. Hardly good pickings. Danica Patrick sucks on road courses.

JV is certainly in for a shot, if "American" includes the whole of North America. Perhaps if it can be extended to include South America, Castronevez or Kanaan could be in for a shot, but both are very old by F1 standards.

I'm thinking JV and Scott Speed as racers, and either Graham Rahal or Marco Andretti as 3rd driver. Andretti's F1 testing experience must count for something, even though he was 1.5 seconds slower than Button.

Quote from pacesetter :Adam Carroll, the Irish driver, who won A1, has been linked to the potential Lola F1 team, but I have my doubts if anyone who contested A1 would be half decent, as I dont think the drivers in such a league as a1 are of a high calibre (IMO)

Adam Caroll? He's worse than Nelson Piquet Junior. A worthy F1 driver does not compete in GP2 for four seasons and finish 5th.

Quote from Intrepid :But then what classes are of a high calibre and how can you prove who really is GOOD when money is such a big factor in a drivers success?

Consistently good performance across multiple categories.
Quote from samjh :Adam Caroll? He's worse than Nelson Piquet Junior. A worthy F1 driver does not compete in GP2 for four seasons and finish 5th.

Well here is the dilemma! How do you know how good Carroll is? You look at the result sheet and make a judgement. That's fine but it only tells a fraction of the story.

I don't know about Carroll's finances but he could have easily out drove the equipment and opportunity he had. Maybe 5th was a superb result!
Quote from samjh :Consistently good performance across multiple categories.

That might mean their cash flow is consistent across multiple categories. Results alone don't matter ALL that much. What matters is the relationship between your performance and opportunity.
So what's your point then? Are you trying to suggest that every driver who might have the talent but didn't have the cash, be offered an F1 drive? Get real.

Adam Carroll has had a long and varied racing career with many opportunities to prove himself to sponsors. If he had proven himself worthy of investment, he would have had the cash. So, the question is: is it just bad luck, or did he not make enough luck for himself? He competed in karts, FPA, FFord and FRenault before moving onto British F3 National class. There must be a reason for him not being able to make a name for himself in four junior and relatively low-cost categories early in his career, and I suspect it wasn't merely the lack of cash.

His only kudos are the A1GP title win and F1 test drive with Honda. But he's certainly not the only person who have won the A1GP title or have been an F1 test driver.

In my experience, when you have had numerous opportunities to prove yourself and failed to take advantage of them, you are in no position to make excuses or have excuses made for you.
Quote from samjh :So what's your point then? Are you trying to suggest that every driver who might have the talent but didn't have the cash, be offered an F1 drive? Get real.

Adam Carroll has had a long and varied racing career with many opportunities to prove himself to sponsors. If he had proven himself worthy of investment, he would have had the cash. So, the question is: is it just bad luck, or did he not make enough luck for himself? He competed in karts, FPA, FFord and FRenault before moving onto British F3 National class. There must be a reason for him not being able to make a name for himself in four junior and relatively low-cost categories early in his career, and I suspect it wasn't merely the lack of cash.

His only kudos are the A1GP title win and F1 test drive with Honda. But he's certainly not the only person who have won the A1GP title or have been an F1 test driver.

I only merely stated that Carroll could be better than his results. I don't know if he is good or not. I don't have many firm opinions about most of the drivers out there. not until I meet them and understand their position do I actually even start to understand whether they are good or not.

Here is a proving point. Ever since F3000 was created and developed into GP2 (excluding Hamilton) collectively the champions in each year of those classes have only gone on to score a HANDFUL of F1 GP win.

So the number 1 feeder series champions over the last two decades have only won a couple of Formula 1 races??? It just proves my point. We don't really know how good a driver is... but that IS motor sport
Quote from Intrepid :I only merely stated that Carroll could be better than his results. I don't know if he is good or not. I don't have many firm opinions about most of the drivers out there. not until I meet them and understand their position do I actually even start to understand whether they are good or not.

Here is a proving point. Ever since F3000 was created and developed into GP2 (excluding Hamilton) collectively the champions in each year of those classes have only gone on to score a HANDFUL of F1 GP win.

So the number 1 feeder series champions over the last two decades have only won a couple of Formula 1 races??? It just proves my point. We don't really know how good a driver is... but that IS motor sport

But then it comes harder on the Americans since American's "high calibur" series are both oval series. IndyCar and NASCAR. NASCAR is almost exclusively oval and IndyCar is half and half. So...when you are looking at Americans who should be given the seat since many of the front runners in American series are currently running ovals. And NASCAR's closed wheel as well.

Are people who run ovals inherently talentless? If not, do they deserve a chance at something like F1? Should that comparison even be made? (Just like people hush up about comparing WRC drivers to F1 drivers).

Realistically, I say Scott Speed (as much as i hate him he DOES have F1 experience) and Marco. Maybe...MAYBE Danica although she does suck at road courses.

As for the NASCAR guys...I'd say not as likely. Carl Edwards is certainly fit enough to do it. But how do you judge how much talent he has? Same goes for Gordon, Allmendinger and Busch

USGPE is going to find themself is a hard situation if they want an all American lineup imo

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG