The online racing simulator
Game prices starting to take the p**s
(22 posts, started )
Lately ive noticed all these new games coming, the prices have rocketed. Take ARMA 2 for instance normally a pc game new is £24.99 but ARMA 2 is £36.99 rrp and Modern Warefare 2 is priced up for £44.99 on play.com for Xbox 360 with the rrp at £54.99. The pc version is £39.99 for MW2.
Hah, you've used to have them cheap then. Sounds about right what we have always paid. And don't worry, to actually play Arma II you probably need some sort of uber computer not on the market yet anyway, so while you build the extra room for it, the price will drop.
45 Quid for the Xbox 360? It costs €64 here, which is about 54 pounds. As Blackout said, you're used to having them cheap.
#4 - sam93
I think I'm going to blow £40 tomorrow on UFC Undisputed, need a good new game and I played the demo of UFC, so going to have to buy it lol.
Yeah, the prices are quite a bit of a piss-take.... I mean what happened to the good old days.. £29.99 for a game!
I would say 80% of new games are sold for $100 NZD with console games selling at $120 NZD and some pc games come out at $80 NZD.

100 NZD = 40 GBP.

Honestly you brits and americans have been getting your games a lot cheaper than most others for a long time.
PB ftw.
Quote from Blackout :And don't worry, to actually play Arma II you probably need some sort of uber computer not on the market yet anyway, so while you build the extra room for it, the price will drop.

I can't stand the fact devs are doing this now, their excuse is "oh it future proofs the game" does it bollocks, all it means is they can spend less time optimising the ****er and expect people to still be interested in 20 years when the hardware you need to play it finally comes out.
They charge what people will pay - in their position so would I. £45 for a console game in the UK is nothing new, though. I remember paying that for Gran Turismo on Playstation! Megadrive and SNES games weren't cheap either. I think the only surprise to me is that prices haven't gone up more considering they MUST require more man-hours nowadays, surely? But then perhaps they always just charged what people would pay.
#11 - SamH
Most games developers will charge what the market will bear. If you don't want to pay the price they're asking for a game, just don't buy it. Do without.

If something doesn't sell because people won't pay for it, they'll stop charging so much for it*. People make a lot of noise about their objections but all too often, they pay it anyway. Until we turn the culture around and start only tolerating the tolerable, games distributors, and everyone else as well, will forever screw us.

* Except for Sony, with their PS3 that is. They got thoroughly busted, massaging sales figures after launch, and yet they're still determined to keep the retail price high. But then Sony has a long history of dismal marketing, dating right back to their Betamax video format and beyond. They're the exception that proves the rule.
also, one thing that bugs me that sometimes the pre-order price is alot more than what it will be after couple days of the relase. i mean, some games for xbox360 are 70-80e if pre-ordered :cry:
The shelf price of games hasn't really changed judging by your post. 10 - 15 years ago they were the same. But due to inflation GAMES ARE NOW CHEAPER THAN EVER!!! Enjoy the fact you can afford more games than you could in the past and stop complaining.
Game prices have increased a little over the past few years, but not in a dramatic way.

One thing is for certain however. Games are a big waste of money.

This weekend i've put up lots of games on auction. All xbox360 games, a little more than 30 games. I've once paid about 60 euro for each game... the auction is at 60 euro so far... for all 32 games. *Sigh*
Quote from jibber :Game prices have increased a little over the past few years, but not in a dramatic way.

One thing is for certain however. Games are a big waste of money.

This weekend i've put up lots of games on auction. All xbox360 games, a little more than 30 games. I've once paid about 60 euro for each game... the auction is at 60 euro so far... for all 32 games. *Sigh*

oh crap just had a look on my older xbox. 20 games, most of em bought by 60e. altrought some were 35-40. also, ive already spent on xbox 360...gh:wt and all instruments. 240e 4 other games around 60. gosh, i hate my money usage
That's exactly my point...

Out of boredom i have bought so many games that i've rarely played, most of them were mainly dust collectors on a shelf somewhere.

I spent so much money on consoles and games in my life (started with PS1), i could have easily bought a decent small car for that money by now.

When i put up those games for auction this weekend, i said to myself that i'll stop to buy every half decent game out there, and stick to the really good ones worth the money.
started counting for fun how much ive spent to games.
xbox(old) ~200e
games for it ~1000e(20 games)
new xbox ~250e
games ~400e
computer games ~100e
that only makes...~1950 spent on games. altrought not all payed by myself, but ive got game stuff wort 2000e
also if id count my brothers WoW, it would add quite alot(hes had it 2 years if i know right, might be 3 too) and that takes some money due the mothly payment
I quickly counted...

Consoles:

- PS1
- Nintendo 64 (sold long time ago, with about ten games)
- Nintendo Gamecube (sold long time ago, with two games)
- Sega Dreamcast
- PS2
- PS2 (slim)
- Xbox (broken)
- Xbox360 (first one lasted three years, then bought a 2nd one)
- PS3

Games:

- 14 PS1
- 34 PS2
- 15 Dreamcast
- 38 Xbox
- 55 Xbox360 (selling 32 of those now)
- 5 PS3

Not counting PC games (not many), other hardware, joypads, memory cards, etc.

161 games, plus consoles... :bananadea
Quote from jibber :I quickly counted...

Consoles:

- PS1
- Nintendo 64 (sold long time ago, with about ten games)
- Nintendo Gamecube (sold long time ago, with two games)
- Sega Dreamcast
- PS2
- PS2 (slim)
- Xbox (broken)
- Xbox360 (first one lasted three years, then bought a 2nd one)
- PS3

Games:

- 14 PS1
- 34 PS2
- 15 Dreamcast
- 38 Xbox
- 55 Xbox360 (selling 32 of those now)
- 5 PS3

Not counting PC games (not many), other hardware, joypads, memory cards, etc.

161 games, plus consoles... :bananadea

nothing more to say but...:bananadea
#20 - Jakg
I miss the Spectrum days, where a new game from Codemasters fell into the £1.99-3.99 bracket, and big premium titles with fat instruction booklets weighed in at a hefty £7-8.99.

It's all about shopping around. CD Wow are usually pretty good, Play.com has some good deals on every now and then (with free UK delivery), and even Amazon can get you stuff cheap.

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG