The online racing simulator
Boating thread
(71 posts, started )
#1 - G!NhO
Boating thread
So i have a small Quicksilver 270 with a 5hp 2stroke Mercury short tail outboard motor, ~8 years old and never really had any problems with it besides dirty carburator.

And it goes like 27kmh with me in it, wich is quite fast for such a small boat, but when you have 2 people in the boat it is as slow as shit.
So i want a 10hp engine, but which brand is the best?
If there are any boat experts on here (which i highly doubt), please help me.

serious please
#2 - (SaM)
Well, I've driven a RaceAbout or two in my time, so I do have boat knowledge.

In all seriousness, I'd go for a Yamaha, Mercury or Suzuki between 7.5 - 12 HP. I don't think you need a gearing system (F - N - R) so you can save money on that.

Here's one that caught my attention. (It's in Frylân though.)

http://link.marktplaats.nl/246760051

But there's plenty more on Marktplaats.nl
how about 30 hp
#4 - G!NhO
Well i prefer a newer engine, 4 stroke and with F-R gears.

The ones i am looking at are around 2000 euro which is quite much, and besides that my current one is worth about 500 euro or may be even less. :\

I also tried a Suzuki 15hp once and it didn't feel right, the throttle handle was a bit wobbly and so was the gear stick. But they are cheaper than the other ones AFAIK.
Quote from Luke.S :how about 30 hp

Hahaha! You can't put something as big as that on a little rubber boat. I should think a 5hp outboard is just about perfect for something so small and light. Too much power on something like that will only make you go slower for a higher price. I have a 40hp on the back of a 16ft aluminium speedboat and it goes like stink. It all depends on the type of boat you have.
#6 - G!NhO
It says that the 10hp is the maximum you can put on it, so i want to put 10hp on it.

It goes great when i am sitting in it alone, but add 1 person and it just lacks the power to even go into "plane" (i dont know how you call it in english).

@ Luke :doh: It will tilt backwards as soon as you turn the gas handle.
Get some 5-10hp Yamaha
#8 - G!NhO
Quote from Shadowww :Get some 5-10hp Yamaha

Yeah my uncle thinks that Yamaha makes the best outboards, but new they are expensive and i haven't really found a good second hand one either.
#9 - 5haz
You could try taking the wheels off the bottom.
Yes, Yamaha/Mariner engines are the best and most reliable in my experience. The 40 that I have on the back of mine is a Yamaha. Very good engine! I wouldn't have thought that your little rubber boat would be designed to take passengers anyway. I have a little one like that just so I can get out to the bigger boat on the mooring and then back to the shore.
Hehe, i have one of those too With a Mercury 4hp twostroke though.

I wouldn't stick a larger engine on it. Remember that any boat that goes over 20km/h requires insurance, registration and a permit. 4 / 5 hp are "grey area", there are conditions where they are capable of >20km/h but they won't fine you unless you really behave like an idiot. 10hp easily does more than 20km/h and you will get fined if you don't have the required paperwork.
does it come with an turbo, intercooler and blow off valve?
Quote from 5haz :You could try taking the wheels off the bottom.

Lol, well i can tilt them up.

Quote from Gills4life :Yes, Yamaha/Mariner engines are the best and most reliable in my experience. The 40 that I have on the back of mine is a Yamaha. Very good engine! I wouldn't have thought that your little rubber boat would be designed to take passengers anyway. I have a little one like that just so I can get out to the bigger boat on the mooring and then back to the shore.

Yes it is kind of meant for taking passengers to the bigger boat and also a boat for me to have fun in. But now i want it to be faster.

Quote from kingfag :Hehe, i have one of those too With a Mercury 4hp twostroke though.

I wouldn't stick a larger engine on it. Remember that any boat that goes over 20km/h requires insurance, registration and a permit. 4 / 5 hp are "grey area", there are conditions where they are capable of >20km/h but they won't fine you unless you really behave like an idiot. 10hp easily does more than 20km/h and you will get fined if you don't have the required paperwork.

Ye mine easily does more han 20kmh, but i only use it 1-2 times a year when i am in Italy at Lake Garda, and i have never been pulled over by the police in 8 years so i don't have to worry about that i think.
Quote from G!NhO :

Ye mine easily does more han 20kmh, but i only use it 1-2 times a year when i am in Italy at Lake Garda, and i have never been pulled over by the police in 8 years so i don't have to worry about that i think.

Ah, Italy. I don't know the exact rules over there, but i thought you only needed a permit if your boat has 40hp or more.
Quote from kingfag :Ah, Italy. I don't know the exact rules over there, but i thought you only needed a permit if your boat has 40hp or more.

yes something like that, you can rent a boat with 40hp without a License.

Thats the only rule i know of.

I'd like to know, does it matter if the engine is older, like this one > http://link.marktplaats.nl/248545875

Or is it better to buy a newer model?
Quote from Gills4life :Hahaha! You can't put something as big as that on a little rubber boat. I should think a 5hp outboard is just about perfect for something so small and light. Too much power on something like that will only make you go slower for a higher price. I have a 40hp on the back of a 16ft aluminium speedboat and it goes like stink. It all depends on the type of boat you have.

It's designed for rubber dingeys :P
Quote from Luke.S :how about 30 hp

No. Rubber dingys vary greatly in size and strength, so there is no single engine suitable for all.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, or to ask a question myself, does that boat have a solid fibreglass hull? Or is it just the standard flimsy bit of rubber?

Achieving any sort of speed in a boat that small without a hull can be... interesting, to say the least. Top speed in my Grandpa's dingy (rubber bottom), was just a blur of serious boat flexing.

EDIT: That tiny thing can plane? It must have a solid hull, otherwise you'd be H4xing
Quote from Luke.S :It's designed for rubber dingeys :P

It is not designed for a rubber dingey that is very small. You need to consider the size and weight of the boat before bolting a big heavy engine to the back of it. Putting a 30hp on that back of Gino's boat will probably allow him to see the sky for a very brief moment before being submerged in water.
lets urge him to get the 30hp engine then. muhahaha
Quote from G!NhO :yes something like that, you can rent a boat with 40hp without a License.

Thats the only rule i know of.

I'd like to know, does it matter if the engine is older, like this one > http://link.marktplaats.nl/248545875

Or is it better to buy a newer model?

I don't think there's a big difference between old and new. Those small engines aren't really advanced. Just make sure it starts easily, and check the the obvious things like a damaged prop / tail, worn out zinc anodes and a damaged water pump impeller. These engines overheat quite fast, so if the impeller is broken i would be really careful.

The one in the advert is designed to be used with a console, it doesn't have a control stick. Also be aware that these larger engines don't have an internal fuel tank, you'll need a bulky external tank.
Having matched a fue boats and engines before, I'd say get a 9.9hp Johnson.

The 9.9hp Johnson is a very reliable engine, I've had one on my boat for a long time now. Even if you get one used, it would be reliable.

Its also lighter and smaller than alot of other motors. Its smaller than both my Mercury 6hp and my 4.5hp johnson. Its not all that much lighter though.

For a boat that size, I think a 9.9hp johnson would be ideal.
Quote from JO53PHS :
EDIT: That tiny thing can plane? It must have a solid hull, otherwise you'd be H4xing

Well it has a floor made out of 3 wooden plates held together bu aluminium clamps, and under that is an inflatable hull. Look on the pic you can see the "hull" a bit, its basicly made from the same material as the rest of the boat.

Floor boards

Going in plane

I will post a vid of it running later
Triple post sorry...

I am looking at Johnson's and they are much cheaper than the others, an almost new 9.9pk shorttail costs 1500 euro and thats alomst 500euro less than a "cheap'ish" Suzuki.

And if i can get 500 euro for my old one, i might be sold.
many friends and family have boats and ribs simular to this...

per every 3 feet you add - add one hp...

10 hp would be ideal for a dingy of that size

Boating thread
(71 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG