The online racing simulator
New to LFS and PC Sim racing
(29 posts, started )
Hello all! I just thought I would introduce myself to the community. I have been console gaming for over 20 years now and just recently started league sim racing with Forza 2 and Race Pro on the XBox 360. I use the MS 360 Wheel with a rig that I put together.

After doing some research I discovered that if you want to really get into some real sim racing that the PC is the only way to go. So here I am! I built my own gaming PC for the first time and purchased a S1 license. LFS is my first sim racing game I have ever played on a PC. Infact I have never really played anything on the PC up untill this point.

My only problem is now is that I have to get myself a good wheel. Thats why I only purchased a S1 license for now cause I am using my MS 360 wheel in the mean time and it sucks! No Force Feedback with the PC. ( Not LFS Fault )! So I am just messin around for the time being. I want to get the GT3 911 wheel from fanatec but it's gonna be a while.

So I hope to get this wheel situation straightend out soon and get a S2 license and really start getting into this Sim.

Oops, didn't notice the Sticky at the top of the page for introducing yourself! Sorry bout that... Noobie ya know
Welcome to the club John.
#3 - Byku
Quote from JerkinJohn :
Oops, didn't notice the Sticky at the top of the page for introducing yourself! Sorry bout that... Noobie ya know

Noticing that is 90% success . Welcome to LFS , hope You will like it. It's the best You can get for such a price.
Thank you for the warm welcome you guy's! I am trying to educate myself now on things like mods, patches ect... that comes along with PC gaming. I just downloaded LFS yesterday so I don't think I would need that patch Z. But thats the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

I am at odds about the wheel situation though cause I am eager to get started and the 360 wheel ain't cuttin it! I want the Fanatec wheel but I'll have to wait for like 3 months! I'm thinking maybe the G25 wheel instead. Anyone have any suggestions? Or do you think the Fanatec wheel is worth the wait?

Also I was lucky enough to run into a great group of guy's over in the console sim racing scene and was a bit worried how the PC community would take to a noobie like myself and from the warm welcome I recieved already it looks like this is gonna be nice environment to race in! Also I like the fact that the PC sim racers use ( Wheels )! You don't get that all that often in the console world.

Thanx
#5 - bbman
Welcome John!

I would recommend downloading the latest patch, some cars might handle differently, so you won't learn habits you can't use when you update... As for the wheel: it looks promising, nobody got it yet though as the very first batch will arrive with customers only as early as the end of May...

Not to slow your enthusiasm, but a bit of a warning: due to your timezone it might be hard to find a race server that runs S1 content... Peak times are euro prime time and the big majoritiy of the userbase already upgraded to S2... Therefore be prepared to search a bit longer - though it's really worth the hassle when you DO find a good server!

It might also be worth looking into leagues even though you may not be up to speed - as long as you're not inconsiderate when lapped I'm sure nobody will mind...
If you downloaded Live for Speed from http://lfs.net, you have the latest version.
Quote from JerkinJohn :
I am at odds about the wheel situation though cause I am eager to get started and the 360 wheel ain't cuttin it! I want the Fanatec wheel but I'll have to wait for like 3 months! I'm thinking maybe the G25 wheel instead. Anyone have any suggestions? Or do you think the Fanatec wheel is worth the wait?

Welcome to PC sim racing (gratz on seeing the light)

my advice:
Sell the 360 wheel & get a cheap substitute wheel to tide you over. If your already loving LFS then that 3 month wait is going to feel like an eternity.

The G25 is still quite pricey but if you can afford one, go for it. It's worth every penny. Alternatively the DFGT would certainly tide you over for a few months.
Yes I think thats just what I'll do cause that Fanatec wheel looks sweet! What does the DFGT stand for though? Which wheel is that?

And YES i have seen the light
#9 - arco
DFGT = Logitech Driving Force GT

Made for the Playstation 3, but works perfectly on the PC too after they made drivers for it.
And trust me its epicly good the DFGT
Ok thanx... I only tried the 360 wheel cause thats all I have at the moment since I just got done building my PC. I new I had to get a wheel, infact that was one of my incentives for going with the PC. So I could pick from a wide variaty of wheels and of course the sims them self too.

I want to get somethin to just hold me over for a bit till I can score the GT3 911 wheel. So I will probably go with the cheaper of the 2 that you guy's suggested. I wish the shifter was detachable though!

Thank you guy's for your help
I think DF GT is second best wheel after G25

Don't buy DFP (Driving Force Pro) tho, it has very bad Force Feedback motor.
Yep no problem! I have been reading alot of reviews and the DF GT is also 11" wheel where the pro is only 10". It's a no brainer! The only gripe I have read is the pedals. But hey, it's temporary. And I read that the FF is excellent with the DF GT.
You can get G25 pedals from something like eBay, too. They will work fine with DFGT
I started off with a Saitek wheel with no force feedback or anything, just got me used to driving with a wheel.

About 18 months ago now I got a G25 and after a couple of hours messing around my laptimes on the combinations I had been driving typically improved by 0.5 ~ 1 second a lap!

The other thing I'll say is that I went straight into S2 and this has turned out to be one of my all time value for money purchases! I've tried other sims, mostly out of curiousity to drive "real" mods, but the experience here is second to none in my opinion. What this sim lacks in driving your favourite cars is eclipsed by the community and the "arrive and drive" ethos on many of the servers.

So even if you include the cost of my G25 (£150), and take the hours of enjoyment, compared to stuff like Call of Duty, there's no contest for overall satisfaction (not taking boobies into account!)
Hello John. For a good starter wheel I'd suggest the DFGT which has a much better build quality, and looks much nicer than the DFP it replaced, and it's much cheaper than the G25, which at this stage in your sim racing career, would be a waste.

And yeah, S2 will be good, but don't forget you can use all the S2 servers so long as they are on S1 combos
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Hello John. For a good starter wheel I'd suggest the DFGT

How about the Thrustmaster F430? I read that the pedals are much better than the DFGT and it has metal paddle shifters. Athough it doesn't have 900 degrees of rotation like the DFGT. Decisions... decisions....
Ok... Sounds like DFGT is still the way to go! Damn I wish I didn't have to wait so long for the Fanatec wheel :irked:
remember that the carrera wheel doesn't come with pedals Awesome wheel though!
Yeah I know, i'm shootin for the GT3 911 Wheel with the Clubsport pedals! Thats when ever I have enough clams to order it and then patiently wait for it:grumpy:
Hey JerkinJohn, welcome to the community. It does seem like a long time to wait for the release of the GT3 911 wheel. rest assured though that you can't go wrong with either wheel.

I have used a driving force GT for quite a bit and if you don't mind not having a clutch and H shifter, it will perform very well even next to its bigger brother the Logitech G25. there were a few aspects that I liked more on the driving force GT more than the Logitech G25.

I did a review on the Logitech G25 a short while back if you were still considering the G25.
http://www.polepositiondriver.com/?page_id=448
Quote from Shadowww :You can get G25 pedals from something like eBay, too. They will work fine with DFGT

err...only with an adapter (around £20 inc postage) G25 pedals do not plug into a DFGT.
I was so pissed last night! I lost a bid on ebay at the very last second on a DFGT for $75.00 US Dollars ( NEW ) :irked: Not a bad deal. I was thinking of just getting the G25 but they are going for $230.00 range. Thats to much for something temporary ya know.
Sucks

Keep trying for a DFGT, there should be loads on the 'bay!
Well my DFGT will be delivered tomorrow! I can't wait to get started with LFS. I just missed a Turbo S 911 wheel on auction on e bay too but thats ok cause it looks like the GT3 wheel will be availible june 15 so the DFGT will have to do till I can finally score the Fanatec wheel.

Now I can purchase my S2 license

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG