The online racing simulator
Homage to Jim Clark . . .
(31 posts, started )
On BBC iPlayer. Should be up for another 4-5 days yet. Very good. Amazing footage of an amazing man.
Seen it yesterday on tv as with last weeks episode of Sir Jackie Stewart. Enjoyed it very much
Great find - thanks.
Yeh really good memories , I remember watching him and others racing as a young lad.
No wings, no ground effects, no computers, the racing was mesmerising to watch , but at a high cost of life.

He was a Big hero to me, watch these guys racing and see 'less is more' in action.

Removes rose tinted glasses... still think the same
-
(1993weeman) DELETED by 1993weeman
Fantastic program, as was last weeks on Jackie Stewart.

Next week will be Graham Hill, another great program so highly recommend to watch that one.
Jim Clark. Legend. Nuff said.

Also visit the Jim Clark room in Duns if you are passing, nice museum-like room. Wouldn't recommend making a long journey just to see it though, unless you are a fanatic, it's not huge, but it's good enough to burn an hour or two.
Only if you take it that way . . .

I didn't realise it was part of a series. It was a real I opener when they said that out of 15 drivers 7 had died in one season alone. Amazing. I enjoy a good crash like the next man, but it's nice to see the drivers walk away now.

I got the impression from the film that Chapmans 'on the limit' engineering principles didn't always sit right with Clark. They didn't dwell on it in the film, but I get the feeling that could possibly be the bigger 'racing' story seeing how closely they where tied together.

Did Chapman blame himself for Clarks death? Was that the beginning of the end for Lotus? Tune in next week for the next thrilling installment . . . . .
I really really enjoyed the one on Jackie Stewart last week. It gave me an idea of what a living legend he actually is. Hopefully I will have the time to watch this one on Jim Clark too!
I personally consider Stewart to be a bit of a cock. Certainly not a great in the same league as Clarke, and not as funny or stylish as Hill. But I enjoyed both programmes, and I'm looking forward to the Hill one.
Quote from tristancliffe :I personally consider Stewart to be a bit of a cock.

Well I don't. :haha:

I think he was/is an F1 great! Deal with it.
Quote from hazaky :That ... feels so gay

I don't think I'm up to speed as to what the latest meaning of 'gay' is. If it means speaking English in a way that is understood by everyone, having good manners, being courageous, courteous, highly skilled and having a finely honed sporting ethic, then yes, it's as gay as a yellow duster!
Quote from tristancliffe :I personally consider Stewart to be a bit of a cock. Certainly not a great in the same league as Clarke, and not as funny or stylish as Hill. But I enjoyed both programmes, and I'm looking forward to the Hill one.

1) Stewart currently does have a habit of sticking his nose into things these days, but at his peak he was one of, if not the most respected driver at the time. His work in improving the safety of drivers is something that shouldn't be forgotten.

2) It's Clark......not Clarke. Damn English always trying to screw the Scots over

3) The Hill one is well worth the viewing, a great insight into the man, and builds a better picture of the Brit 'rat pack' that was Stewart/Clark/Hill.

Interesting trivia - The programs are made by a Mark Stewart (Jackie's Son) and that Dario and Mario Franchetti have asked for copies of the Jim Clark program from Mark as they were both at race weekends at time of airing.
1) At his peak he was actually barely respected at all, for being a big girls blouse, particularly by his peers. But I know what you are trying to say.

2) I know that. Don't know where the e came from, as I normally chastise people for the same error

3) Looking forward to it...
#15 - 5haz
Quote from tristancliffe :I personally consider Stewart to be a bit of a cock. Certainly not a great in the same league as Clarke, and not as funny or stylish as Hill. But I enjoyed both programmes, and I'm looking forward to the Hill one.

Well, you seem to hate everyone, so it dosen't really come as a suprise.

Still, personality aside, he certainly could drive.
I think all those guys that learn't to race on skinny tyres and no downforce knew how to habdle a car. Far more than anyone can nowadays with fancy body kit's with Aero and fancy traction control and the like.

The only 'fancy' tricks those guys had was how thin the sole of their shoes where . . . .
#17 - 5haz
Hmm perhaps, but there are remote outposts in the racing world where car control still remains, personally I like the racing cars of the 70s, with slick and wings, but still needing to be slid through a corner to be amongst the fastest.
Fantasic Program on a true legend. Reminds me a lot of the Dunlop Brothers. Very humble yet amazing talent.

Anyone have/know were I can watch the Jackie Stewart one? No longer on I player

You just cant see a legend when there right in front of you

Am looking forward to the Hill programme, as i don't know much about him and i have heard its great. Just have to remember its on
What day and what channel next week?
Just watched it after seeing this thread.

I never really knew much about Jim Clark until i watched this to be honest, but what a legend huh!
Would have been great to have been around at the time i should imagine...
It was great, much slower than today,the cars look amazing flexing there way round the corners at Zandvoort, Rouen, Spa and that long track In Germany with trees for armco, they are/were far braver men than I will ever be.

It was simpler times, Internet experts who today know everything about racing didn't appear for at least another 20 years.
Quote from 1993weeman :You just cant see a legend when there right in front of you

I can! And JS was obviously a massive talent on the track. But he spoilt it by being a cock off it, and continuing to be a cock for years after he 'retired'. Had Hill and Clark not been killed I think they would have been a lot less cock-like after F1. Due to a complete lack of modesty I can't consider JS a true great in the same way I can with Clark.
Well that is just your opinion. I do not think he was or is a "cock" off the track at all and I respect him immensely.

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG