The online racing simulator
Your working week (if you work ;))
(25 posts, started )
I sometimes wonder if my working week sucks as much as I think it does, but dont really have a great deal to compare it to, so I thought I would see what others do both in the UK and around the rest of the world.

I basically do 7am till 4:30pm, Monday to Thursday, and 7am till 1.30pm on a friday, in the week I get a 10 min "tea break" at 10:30am and a 30min lunch break at 1pm, not on friday, this equates to a basic week of 42.5 hours, not including any unpaid overtime (I am salaried) I do.

What do you guys do, it will either make me think I don't do enough or I do too much

Dan,
9am - 5pm with 1.5x overtime
Normally I can come between about 8 and 10am and leave somewhere around 4 to 6pm, depending on how long I did my lunch break, which is half an hour minimum and basically as long as I need. That goes for Monday to Friday, but we like to keep Fridays short. In the end I have to make sure that I have worked 38.5 hours per week, when I did those hours is pretty much my own concern.

I can make as much breaks as I want, as long as work gets done, nobody cares.
I don't have to wear any special clothing nor do I have to deal with stupid customers.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm a programmer
This might cheer you up Danowat.

My dad is working on a contract with a deadline coming up in a few months. He goes to work at about 8am, gets back usually around 7pm, then has tea etc and works at home till about 11pm everyday. Hes also working all through the weekends. I dont reckon I could do that personally.

As for me, I'm doing A levels so I have quite a bit of free time lol.
Yeah, I have been there, when I first finished my toolmaking apprenticeship I went to a firm, and I worked about 70 hours a week, money was good as I got overtime then,but needless to say, I didnt stay there long.
I guess I am fairly lucky, my job is quite cushy, office based, internet use, so it aint all bad, I just think 42.5 hours a week as a basic week is a touch high these days
9am - 5:30pm most Monday's to Friday's. I'm just starting to work a 24/7 on call every other week (for extra ofc).
38 hr week here with time and a half first two hours and double time after that

But I do shift work so basic hours are 6am - 2:30pm, 2:15 - 10:45pm and 10:30pm - 6:30am...

Also used to average 70hrs a week, and do a second job on the weekends but now I've got a life lol but wasted about 15 years doing long hours like you say work, eat, sleep, then one day you wake up and think "WTF were did the year go!" then realise your thinking 1986 year when its already 1996
I work when ever to when ever and get anywhere between a 5 minute lunch to an hour lunch.

Normally, my work day is scheduled from 7 am to 3 pm with a 45 minute lunch. But I try to get in by 6 and don't leave until I finish what I'm doing for the day, earliest is 3 pm. This week has been hectic and I worked 6 am til 6:30 pm so far every day. One day not long ago I worked a wonderful 6 am to about 10 pm and only had time to grab a Pepsi out of the vending machine and drink it while I continued working. That doesn't happen very often, at least I don't let it happen often.

I work at a manufacturing plant in the research and development/engineering department making material for everything from automotive "bumpers", door panels, and headliners to athletic field underlayment for artificial turf, acoustical panels, bicycle/motorcycle/military helmets.
#9 - Bean0
39hr week here.

0800 - 1630 Mondays to Thursdays
0800 - 1530 Fridays (POETS* Day )

Lunch is 30 mins from 12 each day, and because I don't get any 'tea-breaks', I can go for a smoke/make a coffee whenever I want

The hours suit me because the traffic would be a hell of a lot worse if I did 0900 - 1730/1800.

* - P*** Off Early, Tomorrows Saturday
Hum 8 hours day... but with shifts.. 8.00 am to 17.00, 2.00 pm to 22.00 pm or 00.00 to 8.00 am... it depends of the week...

Kinda hard to get some time to LFS
09:00 - 18:00 here, but I spent 2 hours travelling to work and another 2 coming home. So I get up at 06:00 and get home at 20:00.

Mon, Wed, Thu: Then I eat dinner, read the forum, maybe listening to an album, and go to bed.

Tuesday: Eat something quick, leggit to pub, straight to bed when I get in

Friday: Straight to pub, home for dinner, stay up late chatting with a mate

Oh and one weekend in four I'm on call too. So not a lot of free time for me (anymore - I was unemployed for 6 months).
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I don't like to leave the house too much before 10-10.30am. Let all the office guys get off the street. Really hate it if I have to wotk past 1pm. I work for myself installing and selling garage doors and operators. So I can tell the boss to get stuffed!
im a student but my dads a plumber.

He gets goes to work around 6:45 - 8:00, depending on where he works. He then can get home at any time to a max of 10pm.

Work monday - friday, working sat sometimes. His company has just gone LTD and are sub contracted to British Gas and Adamsons Interiors, so lunch can be however long he wants

Marsden1002,
Try Midnight to 6am every night, six nights a week, all year. That's what I've been doing for the past 6 years. But I get to drive fast on small country roads
So, I gather from all this that there is no such thing as an "average" working week

Dan,
well, i only work part time at the mo, after having to leave a 45hr a week job.
now, its whenever they need me, weekly rota, about 20 hours a week.
on top of that though, and here comes the fun bit, i wake up at 6.30am for a 2 mile run, then at the gym for 8.15-8.30 for an hour, then walk the dog, then back to the gym at 1.30, then to work(work evening most of the time)
i do this 6 days a week, so i think i do alot of work, just i only get payed for a fraction of it.
i work from home , all the breaks i need etc.....but the work needs to get done, so i usually end up working till the weeee hours of the morning, and sometimes weekends too.

but hey,i can have a cig anytime i want, if i have any medical appointments i can go to them anytime, its also hell because its easy to work 12 hours straight without noticing the time..... and the money is good too .
Quote from dUmAsS :9am - 5pm with 1.5x overtime

i take that back, i was at the office until 8:30pm today
I'm pretty much on work from 8am till 6-7 pm. It's not unusual to stay till 10 pm and I work most of the weekends.
Money is good and I can have a break when ever i want

P.S. 'till now i thought everyone can have a break when ever they want

Edit: Forgot to say that can happen that I'm in the office for 48 hours, eat pizza and such but that (thank God) doesn't happen much.
I already responded earlier, but I have to tell of the regular production schedule. Before I joined the R&D department, I worked just about the best schedule I ever saw. We worked 12 hour days, 7 am to 7 pm, 4 days one week and 3 days the next. This netted us a week off straight every month the way the rotation went. That was awesome.
Quote from mrodgers :I already responded earlier, but I have to tell of the regular production schedule. Before I joined the R&D department, I worked just about the best schedule I ever saw. We worked 12 hour days, 7 am to 7 pm, 4 days one week and 3 days the next. This netted us a week off straight every month the way the rotation went. That was awesome.

The minning industry here is like that, if you live locally its four days on and four days off (12hr days, with either shift of 6am-6pm and 6pm-6am) and if its a remote area they fly you in and out every two weeks (so it would be two weeks on then two weeks off) and they pay very well , also on the remote sites you get fee five star meals, have very good recreational facitlities, broadband etc. The tough part is that the remote areas are in generally harsh environments.
Officially my working hours are 06:15 - 13:15 on Saturday and Monday and 06:15 - 11:45 on Tuesdays (only part time cos I don't really need any more money at the mo). But I usually finish before 12 on Sat. and Mon. and at about 10 on Tues. and still get paid for the whole shift. AND I get lots and lots of exercise while working. I also got given a variety of hats with my uniform and a really big, really flourescent coat. Can anyone guess what I do?
condomania pet promoting the all new condoms instore?
Im too stupid to have a job :insane:
Theatre. It's a mugs game.

Typical week.

Sun. 9-10. Fit up show.
Mon. 9-10. Fit up show.
Tues 9- whenever. Fit up, Tech rehersals. Show.
Wed. 6(pm) till whenever. Show.
thur. 1pm till whenever. Matinee show and eve. show.
Fri. Whenever till whenever. Studio work. Workshop stuff and show.
Sat. 1pm till 3-9am. Mat show. Eve show. Get out. (A get out is when we empty the stage of all the show shit, load it onto wagons and set the stage ready for the next show, bearing in mind that could be coming in just as we close the last wagons doors.)

On a good week the money is top banana. On a bad week it stinks. That saturday night is a £40/hour so we can earn a weeks wage just by working for a 'day'. But it's hard, manual and you have to have a very understanding family. Oh, and don't expect to have a social life. The job is your social life. 100 hour weeks are not unheard of and many if us have learnt to cope with sleep deprivation the hard way. Mostly by being called a **** and pushed up against a wall by a 6'4 brick shit house at 4 in the morning because you fell asleep on the toilet . . .

But it's a laugh. Someones gotta do it.

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG