The online racing simulator
The pirates point of view.
(53 posts, started )
After all the recent news regarding piracy and how the west is going to respond I thought it might be worth thinking about why this is happening.
It might interesting and educational to hear the Somalian's point of view, something which has been almost completely missing from the mainstream media coverage.

This article is from the San Francisco Bay View.

In 1991, the government of Somalia - in the Horn of Africa - collapsed. Its 9 million people have been teetering on starvation ever since - and many of the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country’s food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.
Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.
Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the U.N. envoy to Somalia, tells me: “Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury - you name it.” Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to “dispose” of cheaply. When I asked Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: “Nothing. There has been no cleanup, no compensation and no prevention.”
At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia’s seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish stocks by over-exploitation - and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300 million worth of tuna, shrimp, lobster and other sea life is being stolen every year by vast trawlers illegally sailing into Somalia’s unprotected seas.
The local fishermen have suddenly lost their livelihoods, and they are starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: “If nothing is done, there soon won’t be much fish left in our coastal waters.”
This is the context in which the men we are calling “pirates” have emerged. Everyone agrees they were ordinary Somalian fishermen who at first took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least wage a “tax” on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coast Guard of Somalia - and it’s not hard to see why.
In a surreal telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali, said their motive was “to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters … We don’t consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas and dump waste in our seas and carry weapons in our seas.” William Scott would understand those words.
No, this doesn’t make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters - especially those who have held up World Food Program supplies. But the “pirates” have the overwhelming support of the local population for a reason. The independent Somalian news site WardherNews conducted the best research we have into what ordinary Somalis are thinking - and it found 70 percent “strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defense of the country’s territorial waters.”
One of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali, said their motive was “to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters … We don’t consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas and dump waste in our seas and carry weapons in our seas.”

During the revolutionary war in America, George Washington and America’s founding fathers paid pirates to protect America’s territorial waters, because they had no navy or coast guard of their own. Most Americans supported them. Is this so different?
Did we expect starving Somalians to stand passively on their beaches, paddling in our nuclear waste, and watch us snatch their fish to eat in restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We didn’t act on those crimes - but when some of the fishermen responded by disrupting the transit corridor for 20 percent of the world’s oil supply, we begin to shriek about “evil.” If we really want to deal with piracy, we need to stop its root cause - our crimes - before we send in the gunboats to root out Somalia’s criminals.

http://www.sfbayview.com/2009/ ... ng-lied-to-about-pirates/
Piracy may be a way of life for them, but it cannot be allowed to happen. If I went around town stealing everything shiny I saw, it wouldn't be long before I was in front of a desk sergeant. Nobody would have sympathy for me if I said I was doing it to feed my family, much less if I was carrying rocket launchers and AKs. Why should they be any different?

Internet pirates are being punished for their piracy, I think real life pirates should be treated the same. Or is it allowed by the PC crowd 'coz they're black and poor?
They're trying to stop europeans from dumping crap into their seas... Imagine someone throwing his garbage onto your lawn and you go to the police and no ones doing anything about it. Surely you'd end up kicking his butt?
#4 - 5haz
Another thrilling read, at least this is a conspiracy theory that doesn't bang on about 9/11 for a change.

Quote from evilpimp :They're trying to stop europeans from dumping crap into their seas... Imagine someone throwing his garbage onto your lawn and you go to the police and no ones doing anything about it. Surely you'd end up kicking his butt?

Trying to stop dumping, by holding up ships that haven't got anything to do with dumping or fishing? Hmmmmm.

That's like kicking the butt of the milkman of the man who's dumping rubbish on you lawn.
Quote from evilpimp :They're trying to stop europeans from dumping crap into their seas... Imagine someone throwing his garbage onto your lawn and you go to the police and no ones doing anything about it. Surely you'd end up kicking his butt?

I don't know what Canada is like, but have you seen the state of Europe's litter problems? I could fill a couple of bin bags with what's thrown away by cars on the road in front of my house (and my road frontage is maybe 20m at most). Doesn't mean I want to chase after them on a moped and hijack their car with a ransom for €9,000,000

Most of those they "kidnap" have nothing to do with dumping anyway. Army captains, private yachts, Russian tank details, ya know the like.
#6 - SamH
Quite a few people have been saying that there's no proof that dumping is taking place off the coast of Somalia. That's actually not true.. the UN is a source you can reasonably depend on. This is taken from the United Nations Environment Programme report - http://www.unep.org.bh/Publica ... SUNAMI_SOMALIA_LAYOUT.pdf

[..]
Further, Somalia is one of the many Least Developed Countries that reportedly received countless shipments of illegal nuclear and toxic waste dumped along the coastline. Starting from the early 1980s and continuing into the civil war, the hazardous waste dumped along Somalia’s coast comprised uranium radioactive waste, lead, cadmium, mercury, industrial, hospital, chemical, leather treatment and other toxic waste. Most of the waste was simply dumped on the beaches in containers and disposable leaking barrels which ranged from small to big tanks without regard to the health of the local population and any environmentally devastating impacts.
The issue of dumping in Somalia is contentious as it raises both legal and moral questions. First, there is a violation of international treaties in the export of hazardous waste to Somalia. Second, it is ethically questionable to negotiate a hazardous waste disposal contract with a country in the midst of a protracted civil war and with a factionalized government that could not sustain a functional legal and proper waste management system.
The impact of the tsunami stirred up hazardous waste deposits on the beaches around North Hobyo (South Mudug) and Warsheik (North of Benadir). Contamination from the waste deposits has thus caused health and environmental problems to the surrounding local fishing communities including contamination of groundwater. Many people in these towns have complained of unusual health problems as a result of the tsunami winds blowing towards inland villages. The health problems include acute respiratory infections, dry heavy coughing and mouth bleeding, abdominal haemorrhages, unusual skin chemical reactions, and sudden death after inhaling toxic materials.
It is important to underscore that since 1998, the Indian Ocean has experienced frequent cyclones and heavy tidal waves in the coastal regions of Somalia. Natural disasters are short-term catastrophes, but the contamination of the environment by radioactive waste can cause serious long-term effects on human health as well as severe impacts on groundwater, soil, agriculture and fisheries for many years. Therefore, the current situation along the Somali coastline poses a very serious environmental hazard, not only in Somalia but also in the eastern Africa sub-region.
#7 - Vain
Quote :Further, Somalia is one of the many Least Developed Countries that reportedly received countless shipments of illegal nuclear and toxic waste dumped along the coastline.

Making a statement is not making an argument.

Vain

P.S.: I found the expression "mysterious european ships" rather funny. See attachment.
Attached images
mystical_european_ship.JPG
A conspiracy theory supported by the UN, that's certainly an interesting accusation !.
Thanks Sam, good to see anyone paying attention.
It's interesting to see that there's still an opinion that europe ( or the US ) can do anything ( dump nuclear waste or strip resources ) but if the locals complain then they become pirates, or terrorists or anything that requires a western military response.
Maybe the west could try catching the illegal fishing boats or the ships dumping waste, guess there's not really as much money in stopping crime as there is in kickbacks from it !
#9 - Vain
I'm not saying it isn't true, but it is commonly known that the easiest way of making a statement appear wrong is presenting it without proof. (Q.E.D. )

Vain
#10 - SamH
I provided a download link to the UN report in PDF form, from which I was quoting.. that's my source.
I've red this before. It puts everything in an other perspective. Not that much has changed since the golden age.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Piracy may be a way of life for them, but it cannot be allowed to happen. If I went around town stealing everything shiny I saw, it wouldn't be long before I was in front of a desk sergeant. Nobody would have sympathy for me if I said I was doing it to feed my family, much less if I was carrying rocket launchers and AKs. Why should they be any different?

Internet pirates are being punished for their piracy, I think real life pirates should be treated the same. Or is it allowed by the PC crowd 'coz they're black and poor?

You live in the nation of one side of a 'war'. You dont see it as a war because your government is not telling you it's a war. Although maybe it will get banded about as a "War on Piracy" but anyway... The point being "Pirate" is a label.

Labelling something a "Pirate" or a "Terrorist" is a good way for your government to scare you into wanting to condemn the other side.

And thus we go on a banner waving exercise, supporting a system that pays established crime families to dump nuclear waste into the food basket of our enemy.

"One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter".

They're not pirates, and I wish them well with their cause.

I don't approve of hostage taking mind you, like the result of dumping radioactive waste in their sea is that their fishermen take up arms, the result of taking hostages is that they get blown to pieces in return.

It's a natural progression, and if allowed to continue the fight will move to new territories because that is how "terrorism" works.

Personally I think the West owes a huge debt to those people, and should be despatching nuclear clean up teams and sending special forces into nuclear plant management offices...
Well, if they just could start acting civiliced and not like some inbreeded mongos I would agree. But if violent is the only way they know how to solve a thing, well, then thank you, and a bullet for you.

Joke aside, there are two sides of a cause, but I do not agree, or sympathize with apes that use violence and inocent people to tell their opinion.
#14 - Vain
Quote from SamH :I provided a download link to the UN report in PDF form, from which I was quoting.. that's my source.

And I was talking about the fact that the UN report quoted no source/reason/proof whatsoever.

Here's a general point of criticism against the whole world: The fact that somebody else wrote it does not mean you can stop thinking for yourself.

Vain
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :Disgusting. They got scoped & sniped out on their lifebaot whilst been towed by a war ship.
The pirates need to be more clever me thinks.

And yet Sir Francis Drake was knighted and celebrated as a hero...

To the victor the spoils (and favourable writeup in the history books).
I think the pirates are actually gray aliens. They come in peace. They just want to harvest cattle blood.

Oh, and next time I see someone litter on my lawn, I'm going to find the next innocent passerby, and hold them hostage. Even though they aren't littering. I have to punish them for someone else's wrongdoing.
Regardless of whether the Somali seas and coasts are being abused, piracy against unrelated ships is not a valid response.
Quote from 5haz :Another thrilling read, at least this is a conspiracy theory that doesn't bang on about 9/11 for a change.

Someone will find a way for thermite to be part of it though.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Regardless of whether the Somali seas and coasts are being abused, piracy against unrelated ships is not a valid response.

I agree with that. Think about what everyone would be saying if the Americans were holding unrelated parties hostage in Guantanamo Bay because some terrorists flew into the twin towers. It's not okay for the US government to hold unrelated people hostage, but it's okay when pirates do it?
Plus, I doubt the warlords who are masterminding these hijacking missions are putting their millions of dollars of ransom into cleaning up toxic waste spills on the Somali coast.
#21 - 5haz
Plus one to DeadWolfBones and Wheel4Hummer.

I would bet that most of the 'freedom fighters' (seeing as we're not allowed to call them pirates now), aren't in the business because they love their country and hate the west dumping crap everywhere, they're in it for the money.
Anyway, if you read that article, it says "mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean." As pointed out by someone who commented on that page, nuclear waste is not usually disposed of in barrels. It's disposed of in large casks. Even if this illegal dumping is going on, it says that "European hospitals and factories" were disposing of the waste there. What does hijacking an American ship have to do with Europeans illegally dumping nuclear waste.
#23 - SamH
Obviously seizing an unrelated vessel, such as a cruise ship, is not acceptable. Nobody is suggesting that it is. But the truth about what is going on, off the coast of Somalia is NOT being told by "our" governments.

If you want your opinion about pirates to be as rational as possible, and thus count for anything at all, surely you should want to know as much about the history and current causes as possible. You don't have to come out in defence of piracy to recognise that it is a case of abuse spawning abuse.
Quote from Becky Rose :You live in the nation of one side of a 'war'. You dont see it as a war because your government is not telling you it's a war. Although maybe it will get banded about as a "War on Piracy" but anyway... The point being "Pirate" is a label.

Labelling something a "Pirate" or a "Terrorist" is a good way for your government to scare you into wanting to condemn the other side.

And thus we go on a banner waving exercise, supporting a system that pays established crime families to dump nuclear waste into the food basket of our enemy.

"One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter".

They're not pirates, and I wish them well with their cause.

I don't approve of hostage taking mind you, like the result of dumping radioactive waste in their sea is that their fishermen take up arms, the result of taking hostages is that they get blown to pieces in return.

It's a natural progression, and if allowed to continue the fight will move to new territories because that is how "terrorism" works.

Personally I think the West owes a huge debt to those people, and should be despatching nuclear clean up teams and sending special forces into nuclear plant management offices...

They are pirates. They plunder and hijack (usually) innocent ships, and threaten the crew until they are paid a ransom. Much like the pirates of old (but with less cannons and more AKs and more RPGs). If they want to stop the dumping in their waters, they're more than welcome to launch World War 3 on the European firms that are doing the damage. Or, even better, set up a proper "unofficial" navy to patrol their waters, much like every other country with water has. Then they can blow the shit out of anyone dumping waste, and the problem is solved.

Hijacking others is earning them millions, but what are they doing with it? Spending money on ships and planes to patrol their waters to prevent illegal dumping? Nope, buying bigger and better weapons to take down bigger and more valuable fleets. The people of Somali themselves say that the pirates lead very lavish lifestyles, with big houses, new cars and several wives (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7650415.stm). If they're so concerned about the state of their waters, why aren't they doing something to prevent it?

What about the dumping of English nuclear waste into the Irish sea? Just because that's happening doesn't mean I'm going to try and hijack some British trawlers in attempts of 6-figure ransoms

(As reference-)
Quote from Greenpeace Site :The Irish Sea has been described by Greenpeace as the most radioactively contaminated sea in the world with some "eight million litres of nuclear waste"

IMO, sometime the pirates will sting the Americans hard. And then the Americans will end up bombing Somalia off the face of the earth
Please don't try to push me into a corner Dougie because I already stated my objection to some of their practice, the difference is that I recognize their cause and suggest we in the West fix that, as the result is never ending escalation.

(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG