The online racing simulator
acetone based nail varnish remover to [remove CPU paste]
remove old thermal paste from CPU???

Just curious cos the acetone might have an adverse effect i guess...

cheers

EDIT* i tried it but seems a bit too stubborn to come off... hmmm
Quote from whitey6272 :remove old thermal paste from CPU???

Just curious cos the acetone might have an adverse effect i guess...

cheers

I admit that I HAVE tried it in the past...no adverse effects noted to either CPU or fan...

However...It dont work!!! Didn't get it all off as easily as I would have hoped...just sort of diluted it a bit and spread it everywhere.
I also tried neat Trichloroethane, that worked a bit better, but getting hold of it in it's pure form is a biatch if you haven't got "the contacts"...you will probably be better off with a bottle of the stuff they sell in PC World especially for getting thermal paste off!
I used nail varnish remover to clean the standard crap off my heatsink when I got it, worked a treat It probably won't work for you if it's caked on though. My stuff was unused
I had some lemony cleaner stuff to remove thermal paste, worked a treat. Was Akasa branded I think.
Any other household items they didn't have any cleaner at my local PC world and i cant be arsed waiting for stuff to come through post...

Im trying to sort out my xbox issue.... will it matter if there is still a small amount of old thermal left on if i apply some new?... does it need to look like a mirror?
It's definitely best to remove it all. Any that's left won't be adhered to by the new stuff, causing pockets of air, especially after a while when it settles. You could try prising it off with a sharp knife, if you're careful not to stab yourself or to gouge holes in the CPU.

BTW, you can remove the CPU from the Xbox? I'd have thought they'd solder everything down
Looks like its soldered down but then siliconed over ill upload a pic see what u guys think (if its clean enough) etc
Attached images
13042009268.jpg
#8 - Jakg
Quote from Bob Smith :I had some lemony cleaner stuff to remove thermal paste, worked a treat. Was Akasa branded I think.

Akasa TIM Remover - works a treat (i lost my bottle, though).

You can buy it from PC World or Maplin.
#9 - Osco
angle grinder with 60 grit flapwheel

/thread
Ask harjun.
Quote from Osco :angle grinder with 60 grit flapwheel

/thread

r u joking??
You sorting out the RROD issue?
I use an alcohol spray to remove thermal paste, works a treat, evaporates, and is cheap as chips..
Normally can get it from an opticians, as it's used for cleaning glasses
I use surgical/sterile wipes, they are soaked in alcohol, so it makes cleaning off thermal paste very easy.
Isopropyl cost nearly nothing from a chemist, as it's pure it leaves no residue and you can use whats left for making hash. Why use anything else ???
Quote from sam93 :You sorting out the RROD issue?

No im sorting the 4th light e74 error . . . .
Just an update i got the GPU looking very shiny
With only the stuff attached below
Attached images
14042009280.jpg
19%5Cklilai%5Cimg%5C2009213162657.jpg
100460.jpg

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG