The online racing simulator
Are You A Sim-Racing Dad?
(99 posts, started )
#1 - Gunn
I'm doing a little research about Dads who are sim racers. I would like to hear from as many Dads as possible and I would like to hear from any of you who have sim-racing Dads.

So any Dads here (or sons/daughters) that would like to contribute to my research please stand up.

Once I have a large enough sample I will send each Dad a survey to gather information. There will be an opportunity to write down any interesting or amusing/embarassing situations that Sim Dad may have gotten into. The survey should help to highlight what lifestyle factors effect our Sim Dads' efforts to race and maybe what their families go through to accomodate his hobby.

If successful I will write it all up for public interest (and perhaps amusement), I think it could be interesting to find out what Dads are up to in the sim racing world, and maybe you young racers can discover why all of these old bastards are beating you to the podium
Maybe little offtopic but I remember reading some post from rscnet.org, from some GPL player who was 70 years old. He told he had driven real 60's formulas (not in F1 but in some lower class).
Hey, sim racing dad here (and the first response)! My daughter sits on her PC (the old one) and plays offline with S1h using the old Thrustmaster T2 while I race online. S2 won't run on her computer.

I was in a race Sunday night trying to catch 2nd place I think. She stood behind me instructing me on what I should do. "Just go faster dad, that's what I do. Then when you catch him, just turn the wheel and you'll run into him." LOL, I'm bringing up a future wrecker .
Quote from Gunn :and maybe you young racers can discover why all of these old bastards are beating you to the podium

Heheheh! That'll be the day (Well I guess Vykos counts And I am sure he has a healthy bit of information to give you on this subject)
Quote from deggis :Maybe little offtopic but I remember reading some post from rscnet.org, from some GPL player who was 70 years old. He told he had driven real 60's formulas (not in F1 but in some lower class).

man, thats really great!
Quote from mrodgers : LOL, I'm bringing up a future wrecker .

LOL, at least she knows how to win!!!
if Forza counts as a sim, my dad is definately a Sim Dad. He's actually gotten pretty quick, too.
Heh, my Dad is an avid motorsport fan and is always interested in my racing and says he wants to try it out. So we've already arranged for his first lessons to begin over the weekend. I can't see it ever being a regular thing for him though, at least not until he retires. And with what he's got parked up in the garage it's not like he hasn't got a better real alternative.
Well, I am one of those said "sim-racing dads", although both my wife and daughter enjoy playing them too, so I guess you could say we are a "sim-racing family"

Dan,
Sim-Racing GRANDDADDY here! (alright, maybe thats stretching it just a little bit...cos my Granddaughter isnt big enuff to play yet! )
My youngest daughter has taken her first steps...already hitting 1:17xx at BL2 (hey..we were ALL n00bs once!)
Just waiting for Victor to get around to accepting the payment, and she will be racing on the S2 servers pretty soon! Watch out for 'EmmyLou'
On another note, I have set up a server specifically for juniors to come and learn PROPERLY, at the moment it is a DEMO server, but once the aforementioned license comes through (hopefully today!) then it will be a full S2Q server. Find it on [dSRC] Nursery, It is moderated most of the time when kidz are about, and there are no options to kick/ban people..except for me or the other admins. NO bad behaviour/intentional wrecking or swearing is allowed..Hopefully the next generation of aliens will come through there! Anybody wishing to join, pm/email me for password, stating age/experience of the junior in question..so that we can keep the 'levels' more or less the same
More info here: http://dsrc.digiserv.net/forum/showthread.php?t=933
Quote from Bladerunner :
On another note, I have set up a server specifically for juniors to come and learn PROPERLY, at the moment it is a DEMO server, but once the aforementioned license comes through (hopefully today!) then it will be a full S2Q server. Find it on [dSRC] Nursery, It is moderated most of the time when kidz are about, and there are no options to kick/ban people..except for me or the other admins. NO bad behaviour/intentional wrecking or swearing is allowed..Hopefully the next generation of aliens will come through there!
More info here: http://dsrc.digiserv.net/forum/showthread.php?t=933

Excellent idea sir

Dan,
"Sim Racing Dad" Here also. Dad of 3 Girls Oldest Megan is 7, known through the T7R Team. Loves watching and racing herself ( now she can reach the pedals )

Well a embarassing moment for me. Was racing and it was Sunday Afternoon, so kids still about. I was running 2nd, and doing fairly well. Megan kept checking on me, my progress ( usual comments like, Hurry up dad, come on dad catch him ) then somebody came out of the pitlane, and tagged my rear end. Forgetting what time it was, the choice of words that left my mouth cannot be repeated on hear. After I had finished the ranting and raving, megan said:

"Guess you don't like his driving dad"
Quote from Bladerunner :Sim-Racing GRANDDADDY here! (alright, maybe thats stretching it just a little bit...cos my Granddaughter isnt big enuff to play yet! )

Well, the first post stated "sim racers who are dads", not "sim racers who are dads of sim racers", so, you are not stretching a bit. you are a Sim-Racing GRANDDADDY. Cool idea on the LFS Nursery server . Maybe I'll have to get my daughter to join in.

LOL, Fordman. My daughter is always poking her head over to see what I'm doing. She keeps telling me that she's faster. I have to get S1h onto the new computer so we can network race together and I can show her who's boss!
Quote from Gunn :Are You A Sim-Racing Dad?

I sure hope not!
Well I am father of three, so I think I qualify as a sim racing dad
Quote from 96 GTS :if Forza counts as a sim, my dad is definately a Sim Dad. He's actually gotten pretty quick, too.

Don't you know Forza is a swearword in this forum.

No go and make your dad love LFS.
#17 - th84
sim dad here too my 2 yr old son(almost 3) likes to sit on my lap and honk the horn while i race!! it got to the point that i had to buy him his own wheel, formula force(the yellow one) and i attached it to the coffee table next to the computer desk!!! he has a blast!!!! this is the third momo ive gone through.. thanks, in part, to the sim baby!! it seems the pedals dont work to well after juicy juice has been spilled in them
Quote from deggis :Don't you know Forza is a swearword in this forum.

No go and make your dad love LFS.

Slightly OT, but I don't know why Forza is a swearword. As far as I'm concerned, I can have both, play both, and love both. They do two different things, if I want to sit down and have fun spending time with my dad, it's Forza, if I want to spend time by myself becoming a better racer and trying to improve, it's LFS. They're both good and I love them both.
#19 - Gunn
I think Forza is a great way to get Dad hooked on LFS
Quote from 96 GTS :Slightly OT, but I don't know why Forza is a swearword. As far as I'm concerned, I can have both, play both, and love both. They do two different things, if I want to sit down and have fun spending time with my dad, it's Forza, if I want to spend time by myself becoming a better racer and trying to improve, it's LFS. They're both good and I love them both.

But it was a joke.
I tried to get my dad to play LFS. But he wouldn't have it. I think when I get myself a new graphics card I'll try again. Once he plays a few laps I'm sure he'll love it.
Quote from deggis :But it was a joke.

I know your comment was a joke, and my post wasn't directed at you, but there are some people who truly think Forza is like the spawn of Satan or something. Sorry if it came off wrong.
Gotta 9 year old boy & 7 year old girl who both play LFS offline when I let em near my rig.!!Had them both using wheel,pedals and manual gears since their first shot at it ..!! lol
I got my dad to try once or twice, but i'm going to get him hooked. Just got to make time...
Quote from Ben-Pepito :I got my dad to try once or twice, but i'm going to get him hooked. Just got to make time...

I've found a great way to get someone to play it. Prove a point by using the game. I was in a debate for months with my mum over locking breaks when you do an emergency stop, over not locking them. She said that you should, so I made her run the break test, once locking, once not. I won. And she seemed intrested in the game.

Just got to get a new wheel and get her playing the game. She'll probably get my dad playing it then too

(99 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG