The online racing simulator
LFS sets standard for motion platforms?
(5 posts, started )
I've just been looking through the DIRT readme, and at the bottom it says:

Quote :If your system has a motion platform, then DiRT™ should be able to control it. This feature is completely untested beyond checking that the basic data output is correct, and as such should be used entirely at your own risk. The output format is designed to be compatible with the "Live for Speed" outsim motion platform format. To enable, just open the system\hardware_settings_config.XML file and edit the motion attributes:

<motion enabled="true" ip="192.168.0.10" port="20777" delay="1" extradata="0" />

enabled – Set “true” or “false” to enable or disable the motion platform
ip - The IP address of the motion platform
port - The port of the motion platform
delay - the time between data updates from the game (1/100ths second).
extradata - This should always be set to “0”

So, is LFS' OutSim going to become the new industry standard for motion platforms?
Interesting. Surely LFS's insim must be copyrighted?
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Surely LFS's insim must be copyrighted?

OutSim.

I can't see how you could copyright a packet layout? Even a seperately devised system has to contain the same data, so would end up much the same. Plus it's easier for the guys at the hardware end to only have to deal with one system.
I just thought that it was interesting that a packet structure from a small indie game could become the standard used by Codemasters I'm sure there must be other layouts in use by bigger games, yet they chose OutSim for some reason.
You say that, but motion simulators for the home market is a very recent development. I'd imagine all prior motion simulators were tied to a single piece of software they were made for, and just used a proprietry communication method.

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG