How will the Formula One cars look likes in the electric car years?
no engine, no fuel tank, and maybe no gear box. just a set of battery and a motor or 4 hub motor, how will it look like?
#2 - wild
Ridiculous? I think that’ll sum it up nicely
Easy.

It would look exactly like THIS.

A lot of passing too.
You mean hydrogen powered car years, because electric cars are useless and totally unsustainable in the long term, they are nothing more than a PR stunt. I already suggested they use hydrogen powered F1 cars, because the only emissions would be water, so the cars would wet the track as they race to make it more exciting.
Quote from Mattesa :Easy.

It would look exactly like THIS.

A lot of passing too.

Quote from Mattesa :Moar.

If Bernie and Max are serious about cost cutting, they should just have the drivers race those things.

Seriously though, it would be interesting to watch real f1 drivers try that. I wonder who would win?
#7 - wild
Quote from ultrataco :If Bernie and Max are serious about cost cutting, they should just have the drivers race those things.

Seriously though, it would be interesting to watch real f1 drivers try that. I wonder who would win?

I don't think you've seen this video then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLoANg6nNY
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You mean hydrogen powered car years, because electric cars are useless and totally unsustainable in the long term, they are nothing more than a PR stunt. I already suggested they use hydrogen powered F1 cars, because the only emissions would be water, so the cars would wet the track as they race to make it more exciting.

Fuel cell car is still a electric car......
Quote from wild :I don't think you've seen this video then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLoANg6nNY

cool

I thought that was real at first, but then I got suspicious when I realized it was a vodafone ad. l noticed that when they show the screen, it's not really youtube. (See attachments)

I'd like to see a making-of video. I assume a test driver drove the car and was edited out. Who ever did the editing did a very good job.
Attached images
Untitled.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Quote from wild :Ridiculous? I think that’ll sum it up nicely

They already look pretty ridiculous now so you don't think they would change much?
#11 - J.B.
Motor Racing will die once they can no longer use petrol engines. Anyone who's seen a diesel Audi on track will know why.

And if you want to know what an electric F1 might look like, start by calculating the size of the battery pack that can deliver 800 bhp for at lwast half an hour. KERS is 30 kg for 80 bhp for 6 seconds.
#12 - J.B.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You mean hydrogen powered car years, because electric cars are useless and totally unsustainable in the long term, they are nothing more than a PR stunt. I already suggested they use hydrogen powered F1 cars, because the only emissions would be water, so the cars would wet the track as they race to make it more exciting.

You shouldn't rely on Top Gear for technical information. Hint: there is no usable Hydrogen in nature. We have to make it.
And doesn't it take more energy to make the hydrogen (dissociation?) than you actually get from it? Or something like that.
Quote from tristancliffe :And doesn't it take more energy to make the hydrogen (dissociation?) than you actually get from it? Or something like that.

I've read the opposite, actually. Problem is in these times it's very difficult to get proper information. In either case, I honestly do believe Hydrogen fuel cell is a better alternative to battery powered electric.
Quote from ultrataco :If Bernie and Max are serious about cost cutting, they should just have the drivers race those things.

lol hamilton probably as he used to race rc
#16 - Vain
Quote from tristancliffe :And doesn't it take more energy to make the hydrogen (dissociation?) than you actually get from it? Or something like that.

Using hydrogen is a lot like artificially making petrol yourself from electric energy.
You take A amount of energy, use it to make B amount of fuel (very likely not at a efficiency of 100%) and use that to release C amount of mechanical energy in your vehicle (again at a efficiency lower than 100%).

Actually using hydrogen is almost completely identical to chemically producing petrol.
- Both require energy (because that's what you want to transport using your fuel, duh)
- Both require some sort of resource (be it carbohydrates in the case of petrol or water in the case of hydrogen)
- Both cause some loss of energy during production (artificial petrol much more so than hydrogen)
- Both fuels are only as safe as their containers
- Both cause some loss of energy during their conversion to mechanical energy (IC petrol engines much more so than hydrogen cell/electric motor concepts)

And by the way. You can run petrol engines on hydrogen with only small changes to the injection system (mainly the fuel pump and injection nozzle). However it's a hopeless waste of energy because even on hydrogen internal combustion engines only run at ~30-35% efficiency. A hydrogen cell in combination with electric motors is vastly superior to that (in the range of 90% efficiency).

Right now we get the energy for free by pumping the fuel out of the earth crust and releasing it into the athmosphere. Once the athmosphere is saturated we need to start making the energy terms at both ends meet.

Regarding the topic: (finally)
The design of F1 cars is solely down to the regulations. Thus if the regulations regarding wings, wheels, suspensions, driver position and air intakes don't change the design of the car won't change much either.

Vain
Quote from J.B. :Motor Racing will die once they can no longer use petrol engines. Anyone who's seen a diesel Audi on track will know why.

You have pretty optimistic expectations about teleportation technology then.

no but the conversion happens at an utterly amazing efficiency of 50%
then again its still much better than petrol in that regars but it just cant compete with batteries
Electric cars aren't efficient enough, you spend more time recharging than driving, therefore using more electricity than you would normally, therefore giving the powerplants a reason to stay switched on.
i wish they will have jet engines someday. not the ones we have these days(use alot of fuel and are kinda slow to use). also i wish they could bring back downforce cars
Quote from Solidum[NL] :LOL jet-powered F1 cars!

yeah why not atleast the crashes would be cool, even a little bump on road and the car goes airborne big time
lol
lol nothing would be different on an electronically powered F1 car, except the power plant itself. The car's aerodynamics will still remain the same way as it is now, or as close to it as possible. It will still have front and rear valances, 4 tires, suspension, and the driver, all pretty much in the same location, but it would have a lot of batteries to deal with, since it would be designed to let the armature and commutator suck the juice down for best speed. I think the torque will be the biggest issue, normal combustion engines work a certain way, while electric motors work another way, but thats the only thing that would be different, the car still needs to retain it's downforce and if they alter the body, it wont work as well... lol most of the downforce actually comes from below the car, from the undertray, it acts like a giant inverted wing, in addition to the valances. =) I think they will make cars run on hydrogen, or propane assisted gas, even some cars can run off LNG (liquid natural gas), but no matter what is used in the future, we will still accelerate, corner, shift, and threshold brake the car just the same way.
#24 - shim
Quote :
Quote :
Originally Posted by batteryy View Post
i wish they will have jet engines someday.

LOL jet-powered F1 cars!

yay more ppl to watch go off track like Hammond.. :P
Quote from Pablo Donoso :lol nothing would be different on an electronically powered F1 car, except the power plant itself. The car's aerodynamics will still remain the same way as it is now, or as close to it as possible. It will still have front and rear valances, 4 tires, suspension, and the driver, all pretty much in the same location, but it would have a lot of batteries to deal with, since it would be designed to let the armature and commutator suck the juice down for best speed. I think the torque will be the biggest issue, normal combustion engines work a certain way, while electric motors work another way, but thats the only thing that would be different, the car still needs to retain it's downforce and if they alter the body, it wont work as well... lol most of the downforce actually comes from below the car, from the undertray, it acts like a giant inverted wing, in addition to the valances. =) I think they will make cars run on hydrogen, or propane assisted gas, even some cars can run off LNG (liquid natural gas), but no matter what is used in the future, we will still accelerate, corner, shift, and threshold brake the car just the same way.

But because the power plant and energy storage would be in a different form or position then chances are the packaging of the cars would change quite a lot. There would be no need for radiators unless the batteries were water cooled first. The motor(s) would almost certainly be smaller, so the big mass behind the driver can go. There would be no need for the air intake through the roll hoop. All of things in such a lack of detail as this would result in massively different cars. Yes, they'd all have four wheels, but a Hummer and an F1 car have those in common yet look totally different.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG