The online racing simulator
need help upgrading RAM
(11 posts, started )
need help upgrading RAM
ok my computer has only 3.00ghz 504mb of ram and i want to add 1g to my computer because my computer locks up because its allways using up all my ram. heres the link to a website saying i should upgrade to but i dont kno if it will show up right because it scanned my computer. http://www.crucial.com/systems ... .aspx?id=12B524C831D926C3# . also what memory should i upgrade to.

my motherboard is a Gateway D915GAG . thanks in advance.
i just noticed theres two 512mb in there but it only shows up as 504? but i noticed that theres one slot inbetween the two but i read online that there supposed to be next to eachother
I just googled your motherboard (Gateway D915GAG) and according to the specs i found, it has 4x DDR ram slots and can run upto 4gb, meaning that 4x1gb (4x1024mb) chips will be its maximum capacity.

To be honest, as much RAM as you can get is always good, you can never have too much in my opinion.

As for windows showing less ram than is actually installed, one cause can be that some onboard graphics controllers use actual ram up, so it doesnt show.

There are other causes, but i dont really know what they are.
Quote from smokenyall :i just noticed theres two 512mb in there but it only shows up as 504? but i noticed that theres one slot inbetween the two but i read online that there supposed to be next to eachother

Remove both RAM modules and insert back, next to eachother
thx and now im thinking about adding 2g of RAM and ill try moving the other 512 over to see if that makes it show up or not thx.
Good plan mate, as much RAM as possible is good, and with 4gb in there it should go like a train! sadly my pc can only handle 1gb i tried to run 2GB once and the motherboard just went mad, started beeping and the PC wouldnt boot. Looks like i need to upgrade soon.
i moved the 512 over and now i have .99g and its allot faster and in lfs i get 19-23 fps instead of my usual 6-9fps i wonder how fast it will be one i get the extra 2g
By moving the ram into the other slot you just dissabled dual channel. Dual channel requires you to have one stick on each channel, ususaly the channels are offset on the motherboard so it goes like this.

A-B-A-B. That means channel A is slots 1 and 3, and channel B is slots 2 and 4.

If you want to upgrade and still have dual channel I suggest dumping BOTH of the 512 sticks and geting a pair of 1gb sticks and inserting them in slot 1 and 3. Or you could still keep the 512 sticks and put them in slots 2 and 4, and have 3gb of ram in dual channel.

If it only shows up as 512 when you have the sticks in 1 and 3, you need to clean the ram slots with a can of compressed air, and then insert the ram cards carefuly and remove them carefuly a fue times to clean the contacts.

If you ever put ram in a computer and it doesn't show up, there is something wrong with the slot or the ram. In your case it showed up in a different slot, so you probably just need to clean it, however, it might also mean that the ram you own is not dual channel compatable, in which case I would chuck it when you get the new ram and just get 2 sticks of 1gb.
Adding more than 1 GB RAM won´t give you a performance boost in LFS, but in other games. You can only use 4 GB RAM if you run a 64 Bit system, like XP 64 or Vista 64, because the XP 32/Vista 32 handle only 3 GB.
-
(Bose321) DELETED by Bose321
well even if i did disable the duel channel its still allot faster and the mother board was brand new when the other 512 was installed so im pretty shur it wasnt dirty .
...Or if you want it simplier just do like me and get 4 sticks of 2gbs. It runs LFS quite fine.

need help upgrading RAM
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG