The online racing simulator

Poll : In your opinion, who will win the race?

Closed since :
Jenson Button
Kimi Raikkonen
Felipe Massa
Nico Rosberg
Rubens Barrichello
Kazuki Nakajima
Sebastian Vettel
Other
Mark Webber
Jarno Trulli
Timo Glock
2009 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix
Race Date: 5 Apr 2009

Number of Laps: 56

Circuit Length: 5.543 km

Race Distance: 310.408 km

Lap Record: 1:34.223 - J P Montoya (2004)

http://www.formula1.com/races/ ... _806/circuit_diagram.html

Session times (Malaysian)

Fri 03 April 2009
Friday Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Friday Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30
Sat 04 April 2009
Saturday Practice 14:00 - 15:00
Qualifying 17:00
Sun 05 April 2009
Race 17:00

Looking forward to this race. I think teams with KERS will rule here (long straights).
#2 - J@tko
Is the amount of KERS you get per lap proportional to lap length?
No
#4 - J@tko
Quote from tristancliffe :No

Fail.

Ah well, will make it interesting to see where they use it then cos there's about 5 places where you could around a 1.40 lap
I think we might see new teams infront in Malaysia because BrawnGP's biggest advantage is good speed through corners thanks to the diffuser. Their top speed in Australia wasn't that great. Malaysia might favor teams with KERS or more powerful engines.
lol If it's wet the McLaren's are gonna have a weekend to forget. BrawmGP will romp it unless Vettel can work some magic
Brawn GP completely owned the Australian GP yestrday, but I bet on Ferrari for Malaysia.
The lap records average speed is actually higher in Australia than Malaysia. Same again for the speed traps (presumably placed at the fastest part of the circuit) with Australia being a touch faster than Malaysia. So all other things being equal there isn't any real reason the faster top speed cars should have any more of a chance in Malaysia than they did is Australia as it's appears to be a slower circuit on average, (with last years cars anyway). Having said that Malaysia does seem to have more fast sweepers than Australia, so maybe they will gain some advantage over the Brawns.

Without information on the average speed through each of the sectors on the two tracks it's impossible to tell where the different cars will perform better or worse.

Just did a quick un scientific comparison. Using the F1 site info on corner speeds, (as shown on the circuit layouts) the average corner speeds for the two circuits work out to :

Australia: 183 Kph
Malaysia: 172 Kph (and thats giving the benefit of a 255 kph "turn" which is hardly a bend at all)

So it would seem according to the info to hand on the F1 site that Australia is actually better for cars with greater top speed. If that's true the Brawns could very well be even more dominant at Malaysia, (not factoring temps etc of course).
F1 is soo much better when you have no idea who is going to win.
malaysia is about downforce, like Westhill in LFS for example. Lots of sweepers and high speed corners/changes of direction etc etc. expect the McLaren to be even worse and the Brawn+Diffuser teams to be even better.
Quote from Mustafur :F1 is soo much better when you have no idea who is going to win.

EEERR..... we all know who's going to win! BrawnGP! it's as obvious as it's ever been. The mystery is can anyone catch up
Quote from Intrepid :EEERR..... we all know who's going to win! BrawnGP! it's as obvious as it's ever been. The mystery is can anyone catch up

There Top Speed is crap and without kers it leaves plenty of options open, that and Vettel doesn't seem that far behind them.
Quote from Mustafur :There Top Speed is crap and without kers it leaves plenty of options open, that and Vettel doesn't seem that far behind them.

They have the same motor as McLaren. Also the lack of top speed could be because of the extra d/f they are producing. It's all a balancing act and top speed isn't always sign of the best engine.

The next 3-4 GPs are Brawn's to lose.
Quote from Intrepid :They have the same motor as McLaren. Also the lack of top speed could be because of the extra d/f they are producing. It's all a balancing act and top speed isn't a sign of the best engine.

The next 3-4 GPs are Brawn's to lose.

Mclaren have KERS, Brawn don't. If a car running on KERS can get a wif behind one of these Brawns they will pass it with ease on a striaght.
Quote from Mustafur :Mclaren have KERS, Brawn don't. If a car running on KERS can get a wif behind one of these Brawns they will pass it with ease on a striaght.

Maybe towards the end of the season but none of the KERS cars are anywhere near the pace of the Brawns/Toyotas. Ferrari/McLaren/Renault are not on the same planet as them yet so won't even get an opportunity to get close. Also remember the non-KERS car of Rosberg beat the KERS car of Kimi on the main straight and into T1.

The actual benefit of KERS at the moment is somewhat equalised with the issue of carrying the bleeding thing atm. BrawnGP are so far ahead at the moment they won't be caught for a while.
seriously, this track is not about top speed so kers doesn't even matter other than those 2 long straights. the other 75% of the race track is long high speed corners. Brawns downforce will keep them ahead.
#17 - 5haz
Please be reminded that just because Brawn convincingly won the Aussie GP doesn't mean they will definately win in Malaysia.

The competition is just too close, and there are so many things that could go wrong, so don't just go saying "of course Brawn GP will win!" because these things are far from certain.

As much as I'd love them to win, I wouldn't mind a Williams victory too.

Remember that half of sucess in racing is through luck, perhaps even more than half.
#18 - DeMS
Quote from 5haz :Please be reminded that just because Brawn convincingly won the Aussie GP doesn't mean they will definately win in Malaysia.

The competition is just too close, and there are so many things that could go wrong, so don't just go saying "of course Bran GP will win!" because these things are far from certain.

Remember that half of sucess in racing is through luck, perhaps even more than half.

Completely agree.

However you must also accept that Brawn GP is one of the teams that are currently in good shape to win the race, just as Toyota, and that Vettel, Kubica and Rosberg are favorite from the rest of the drivers (not teams, Webber was nowhere to be seen, same as Heidfeld and Nakajima), being Hamilton, Alonso and the 'red cars' the possible suprises, those drivers you can never count out whatever the odds.

Something I have been wondering is what's going to be the true performance of the Force India. They did not do as bad as last year in Australia, and certainly could come from nowhere sometime and start getting points if the conditions were good for them. As far as I can remember, they have no KERS nor the 'special' diffusers?

Anyway, not expecting a certain team to win, I'm rather expecting to have a good time this sunday and enjoy the race as it is :>
I'll predict a couple of things.

There will be a disagreement about Hamilton, someone will call the FIA Ferrari International Assistance (Which is so witty it never gets old, honest its soooo funny), Nakajima will most likely end up crashing, I will undoubtly miss the race, but still make a decent amount in the bookies, people will still hate the car and there may or may not be an argument about the KERS or diffuiser or something else.

Who said that this season was unpredictable.
you forgot to say that the comentators will mention at least 10 times how hot / humid it is
Quote from tinvek :you forgot to say that the comentators will mention at least 10 times how hot / humid it is

mmm I also forgot to mention that I will be corrected by a Welsh person.
Hope Brawn and Williams remain fast.
Ferrari 1-2. thats all im sayin

mind you, the lap times in malasia are slower BECAUSE THE TRACK IS LONGER !!!!!!!
Quote from el pibe :mind you, the lap times in malasia are slower BECAUSE THE TRACK IS LONGER !!!!!!!

Sherlocks! arrot:
Quote from DeMS : Webber was nowhere to be seen

Funny that, considering he was driving a heavily damaged car. Fastest sector 1 and 2 time in quali as well, he would have been on the front row had he not made a mistake in sector 3.

He's not my favourite driver, but he can't be written off.

He just happens to be the unluckiest driver driving for the unluckiest team.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG