The online racing simulator
Warner Music Group and Youtube- Your opinions?
Recently, the Warner Music Group have been having Youtube videos containing music published by them muted or taken down. Personally, I think this is an incredibly stupid move by a corrupt, greedy corporation. Why not let us play music on our videos, where the music has the chance to be advertised and spread around?

List of WMG artists (Which will get your video muted/removed if you submit them with any of the following content)
Quote from Warner Music Group artists[/QUOTE :0-9

* 10,000 Maniacs

* Day26
A

* A
* AC/DC
* The Afghan Whigs
* Against Me!
* Alesha Dixon
* Herb Alpert
* Amber Pacific
* America
* Andrea Corr
* Anita Baker
* Ash
* Ashley Tisdale
* Atmosphere
* Atreyu
* Avenged Sevenfold
* Ayaka
* All-American Rejects
B

* The B-52's
* Bad Company
* Gnarls Barkley
* Basshunter
* Jimmy Barnes
* Beatsteaks
* The Beautiful South
* George Benson
* Better Than Ezra
* Big and Rich
* Björk
* Black
* Black Sabbath
* Blackfield
* Blaque
* blessthefall
* Blindside
* Blondie
* Body Count
* James Blunt
* Karla Bonoff
* Boyz N Da Hood
* Michelle Branch
* Bread
* The Breeders
* Jackson Browne
* Michael Bublé
* Buck 65
* Buffalo Springfield
* Black Stone Cherry
* Biffy Clyro
* Bullet For My Valentine
C

* Ryan Cabrera
* The Call
* Candlebox
* The Cars
* Daniela Castillo
* Peter Cetera
* Harry Chapin
* Tracy Chapman
* Cher
* Chicago
* Tanya Chua
* Eric Clapton
* Natalie Cole
* Judy Collins
* Phil Collins
* The Corrs
* Alice Cooper
* Cowboy Troy
* Christopher Cross
* The Cure
* Cradle of Filth
* CKY
* Cassie
* Coolio
* Collective Soul
* Paula Cole
* The Cranberries
* Cheap Trick
* Counting Crows

D

* Danity Kane (Bad Boy/Atlantic)
* The Darkness
* Craig David
* Sammy Davis, Jr.
* Death Cab for Cutie
* Diddy
* Dire Straits
* Disturbed
* Alesha Dixon
* Dokken
* The Doobie Brothers
* The Doors
* Down
* Devil Driver
* Dream Theater
* DCS
* DragonForce
* Depeche Mode
E

* The Eagles
* Eddie Cochrane
* Missy Elliott
* EZ (Pure Garage)
* Emmylou Harris
* Enigma
* Enya
* Eskimo Joe
* Elephant Man
* Eisley
* Evanescence
* Extremoduro
F

* Faster Pussycat
* Lupe Fiasco
* F.I.R.
* Flaming Lips
* Fleetwood Mac
* Fort Minor
* Aretha Franklin
* Stan Freberg
* Nelly Furtado (no longer with Warner)
* Khalil Fong
* Funeral for a Friend
* Flyleaf
* The Four Seasons
* Fall Out Boy

G

* Garbage
* George
* The Georgia Satellites
* Jimmie Dale Gilmore
* Glassjaw
* Glenn Frey
* Goo Goo Dolls
* Amy Grant
* Green Day
* David Gray
* Nanci Griffith
* Josh Groban
* Gyroscope
* Gorilla Zoe
* Genesis
* Peter Gabriel

H

* Bill Haley and His Comets
* Sara Hickman
* Faith Hill
* Paris Hilton
* HIM
* Hard-Fi
* Home & Away
* Hoodoo Gurus
* The Housemartins
* Vivian Hsu
* Huey Lewis and the News

I

* James Ingram
* In Flames
* Insane Clown Posse
* Natalie Imbruglia
J

* Colin James
* Etta James
* Jane's Addiction
* Ben Jelen
* Jet
* Jewel
* The Jimi Hendrix Experience
* Howard Jones
* Mike Jones
* Quincy Jones
* Spike Jones
* Jeremy Jordan
* William Joseph

K

* Chaka Khan
* Kid Rock
* Rilo Kiley
* Ben E. King
* Jocie Kok
* Talib Kweli
* Aaron Kwok
* Killswitch Engage

L

* Lazy Mutha ****a (Warner Music Hong Kong, Taiwan)
* Tom Lehrer
* Kelvin Tan Wei Lian
* Gordon Lightfoot
* Lillix
* Linkin Park
* London Boys
* Los Prisioneros
* Lost Prophets
* Frente!
* Luis Miguel (Singer)
* Luttenberger*Klug
* Lifehouse
* Avril Lavigne
* Donna Lewis

M

* M2M
* Madonna (no longer with Warner)
* Marion Raven(now with Eleven Seven Music)
* MIKA (first album only, but no longer with Warner)
* Mastodon
* Miriam Makeba
* Jessi Malay
* Maná
* Ziggy Marley
* Dean Martin
* matchbox twenty
* Michael McDonald
* Sarah Mclachlan
* The Men They Couldn't Hang
* Sergio Mendes
* Idina Menzel
* Natalie Merchant
* Metallica
* Lucia Micarelli
* Luis Miguel
* Kylie Minogue
* Joni Mitchell
* Moby
* Monkees, The
* Monrose
* Morrissey
* Van Morrison
* Alanis Morissette
* Mötley Crüe
* My Chemical Romance
* Muse
* Mutemath
* Machine Head
* Madina Lake
* Megadeth
N

* Me'shell Ndegeocello
* Nickelback
* Notorious B.I.G.
* Nightwish

O

* Mariana Ochoa
* Ol' Dirty Bastard
* Renee Olstead
* Opeth

P

* Panic at the Disco
* Pantera
* Papa Roach
* Pendulum
* Sean Paul
* Laura Pausini
* Toni Pearen
* Teddy Pendergrass
* Peter, Paul & Mary
* Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
* Phish
* Pixies
* Plies
* P.O.D.
* The Pogues
* Porcupine Tree
* Daniel Powter
* The Pretenders
* Prince
* The Prodigy
* Paramore
* Katy Perry

R

* The Ramones
* R.E.M.
* Leon Redbone
* Red Hot Chili Peppers
* Damien Rice
* Linda Ronstadt
* Tom Rush
* Patrice Rushen
* Ruslana
* Rob Thomas
* Rascal Flatts
S

* Jeffree Star (part of Independent Label Group/Warner Music's Popsicle Records)
* David Sanborn
* Alejandro Sanz
* Savage Garden
* Peter Schilling
* Seal
* The Sex Pistols
* Shifty
* Sugar Ray
* Simply Red
* Shinedown
* Carly Simon
* Paul Simon
* Nina Simone
* Simple Plan
* Frank Sinatra
* Nancy Sinatra
* The Sisters of Mercy
* Fiona Sit
* The Smiths
* Phoebe Snow
* Staind
* MC Solaar
* Static-X
* Dave Stewart
* Rod Stewart
* The Stooges
* Story of the Year
* Sugababes (first album only)
* The Sugarcubes
* Stefanie Sun (Sun Yanzi)
* Keith Sweat
* Sweetwater
* Slipknot
* Stone Sour
* Soulfly
* Skillet
* Sum 41
* System Of A Down
* Jordin Sparks

T

* Taking Back Sunday
* Tangerine Dream
* James Taylor
* Testament
* They Might Be Giants
* Third Eye Blind
* T.I.
* TISM (in Australia for re-releases only)
* Titãs
* Trapt
* Trivium
* Trillville
* Jolin Tsai
* Twista
* T-Pain

U

* Uncle Kracker
V

* Van Halen
* The Velvet Underground
* The Veronicas
* Violent Femmes

W

* Tom Waits
* Paul Wall
* Grover Washington, Jr.
* Ween
* Westernhagen
* Wiz Khalifa
* Within Temptation

X, Y, Z

* X
* Peter Yarrow
* Yes
* Neil Young
* Young Scrappy
* Warren Zevon
* Yung Joc
* ZZ Top

Their loss. Just turn your back on all WMG artists.
I'm sure most of the artists don't like what WMG is doing.
so, are their videos being removed, or are they removing peoples videos with just music in them?
#5 - SamH
Normally, this kind of behaviour might be described as a "tantrum". However, where the music industry "greats" such as WMG and EMI are concerned, I'd describe them as "death-throes".

These companies are dying. Music isn't, but these companies are. They've slipped off the edge of the cliff of progress. They had no idea, when they were screwing us over for CDs at £20 a time, that we'd ever have an answer. They thought we'd always just simply have to "take it up the ass".

However, the people's answer came in the combined form of the internet and the MP3. The biggest mistake businesses make is to assume that the new company on the block will play by the same rules as you.

It's like in fencing, there's no need to fear an experienced and skilled opponent. What you should fear is the new guy who, having no experience whatsoever and having no appreciation for established traditions and protocols, violently cuts and slashes his way to an unpredictable, violent and unforseen victory.

By pulling this kind of crap, WMG (and RIAA and IFPI etc) are just going public about their own suicides.
#6 - SamH
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :so, are their videos being removed, or are they removing peoples videos with just music in them?

They're muting all the audio on videos you upload, with this music in them. Even, as happened to a friend of mine, if the music is just playing on the kitchen-top stereo in the background. Her entire video blog audio was just wiped.
Quote from SamH :They're muting all the audio on videos you upload, with this music in them. Even, as happened to a friend of mine, if the music is just playing on the kitchen-top stereo in the background. Her entire video blog audio was just wiped.

that's the gayest thing to ever happen. is this right - NO!
Quote from SamH :

It's like in fencing, there's no need to fear an experienced and skilled opponent. What you should fear is the new guy who, having no experience whatsoever and having no appreciation for established traditions and protocols, violently cuts and slashes his way to an unpredictable, violent and unforseen victory.

O/T but I'm nicking this for a speech I'm doing at work's conference about innovation. Thanks

Back on topic, well it's Warners loss, as stated they haven't adapted to the new medium and are left behind.
#9 - SamH
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :O/T but I'm nicking this for a speech I'm doing at work's conference about innovation. Thanks

:throwrose
My old boss gimme the fencing idea, where he got it from I'm not sure - more than likely from Michael Hammer (who's just died.. sad loss for the business world).
Now that there are 10million apps that rip YT vids/audio, it has just become another place to share music. All of The Prodigy's latest album was on there before it was released in the shops, just a static image with audio. It is because of users abusing it in this way that they have taken this approach.

I ahve a vid on there using Scooters Logical Song as a soundtrack to some in-car footage of a road rally. A couple of years ago I got the email about infringing content and feared the worst, but all they want to do is track views and place ads apparently.
Well I had a short video with about 10seconds of a Linkin Park song (not even lyrics, just a very staccato guitar sequence) and they came at me and just muted the sound on the video

... Yet the video had 29 views and it had been on for a day...then a video of the actual song that had 4000+ views still hasnt been removed
It will take a while to download the discographies of all those artists, but i'm game...
#13 - JJ72
They do it cos it's how they make money - governing the distributing channel and spreading the music, that's why artists gives a part of the income to them.

But as media is more and more accessible to the public and everyone has a PC can reach out to millions of audience the idea of a music label might just be obselete, hence they are doing every bit to delay the inevitable demise and buy time to look for new ways to make the money back.

I have no objection to their practice, afterall it's their profession in choosing where/when and how their music are published, and the fact the artists paid them part of their income to do so represents that they are trusted to get their job done. There are real work involved in getting the right music to the right audience and doing all the needed promotions, an artist basically is a branded product nowadays, it's all about positioning and giving it a suitable character - and I can understand why they will want their brand to appear in an desired manner, in desired places, associated with a desired cultural statement.

if you are put off by this you can always listen to some indie stuff, the price is just that you will have to actively look for it, instead of depending on label companies to relay them to you for free.
Quote from SamH :They're muting all the audio on videos you upload, with this music in them. Even, as happened to a friend of mine, if the music is just playing on the kitchen-top stereo in the background. Her entire video blog audio was just wiped.

s31 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act makes provision for incidental inclusion, and I'm sure the US will have something similar.
Quote from Bean0 :Now that there are 10million apps that rip YT vids/audio, it has just become another place to share music. All of The Prodigy's latest album was on there before it was released in the shops, just a static image with audio. It is because of users abusing it in this way that they have taken this approach.

I ahve a vid on there using Scooters Logical Song as a soundtrack to some in-car footage of a road rally. A couple of years ago I got the email about infringing content and feared the worst, but all they want to do is track views and place ads apparently.

Yeah, I have a couple of songs from the Sony Music group and they just add one of those "buy this song on I-Tunes" add on it. However, it fails to take into account what other songs there are in the video, it's completely ignorant and childish behaviour IMO. What difference does it make if a video has one of 'their' songs in it?

How is it even a bad thing?!?
#16 - SamH
Quote from boothy :s31 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act makes provision for incidental inclusion, and I'm sure the US will have something similar.

The act makes provision for it but the software developed by Google, that "listens" to the audio as it's being uploaded and mutes the audio if it detects copyrighted music, doesn't or can't make the distinction. There's no recourse AFAIK, either. The audio is as good as lost. Youtube can't or won't turn it back on and if you re-upload the same video, it'll just lose its audio again.
Quote from SamH :The act makes provision for it but the software developed by Google, that "listens" to the audio as it's being uploaded and mutes the audio if it detects copyrighted music, doesn't or can't make the distinction. There's no recourse AFAIK, either. The audio is as good as lost. Youtube can't or won't turn it back on and if you re-upload the same video, it'll just lose its audio again.

And you couldn't find a way around it? Such as by delaying the start of the music, or adjusting the volume, or cutting it up into chunks, but setting them next to each other so it plays as one continuous track?

I'm guessing it does it by the thingies that I've forgotten the name of.. the spikes of music that are unique to each song..?
Quote from SamH :Normally, this kind of behaviour might be described as a "tantrum". However, where the music industry "greats" such as WMG and EMI are concerned, I'd describe them as "death-throes".

Yep. Major record labels will be gone before we know it...
At least they're not suing you for $500k like they used to do.
Major label opens mouth, rubbish comes out.

The larger labels will probably die within the next 20 years (good), the mainstream pop industry will be severely harmed (good) and acts with talent won't be that significantly harmed.

I use Spotify myself, I'm a bit peeved that certain acts aren't on it - but hey, nothing's perfect.
#21 - SamH
Quote from S14 DRIFT :And you couldn't find a way around it? Such as by delaying the start of the music, or adjusting the volume, or cutting it up into chunks, but setting them next to each other so it plays as one continuous track?

I'm guessing it does it by the thingies that I've forgotten the name of.. the spikes of music that are unique to each song..?

I haven't found a way around it because I've not uploaded a video on Youtube since the new system came in. Let us know how you get on.

It probably works by matching audio patterns with its database of track samples, and it would be difficult to circumvent a well-written pattern matching system.
Songs I have used on that list;

None. I'm good
They've taken down/removed sound from 3 of my videos.

****s
As far as I know Chris Moyles parody songs and Foo Fighters won't hurt if they aren't on that list, but what about music from a game I own?
Good on Google for not giving in to the PRS, although reminding them that the service is based in the US rather than the UK could have been an interesing option ...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG