The online racing simulator
LFS + Windows Vista
(11 posts, started )
#1 - ORION
LFS + Windows Vista
As I have access to the msdnaa (Microsoft developers network academic alliance, or something like that ), I have tried Windows Vista December CTP build 5270.
It was quite a struggle to install this (because SATA doesnt really work), but now it's running.

Of course, the first program I installed was LFS, and to my surprise it worked almost perfectly from the beginning. I expected some errors and a black screen, but the intro and menu showed up nicely

But it wasnt as perfect as it seemed at first. Sound didnt work, because I dont have a driver for that, and I am not able to unlock S2. Getting the error "Unlock Error"
Additionally, Some screen resolutions are missing, and some of the refresh rates are weird (21Hz ).

Playing online worked at least on a demo server.

Maybe someone else has also tried WinVista, and can help me to get at least the sound running and the game unlocked
#2 - Vain
Did you try to unlock via port 80? Maybe windows has "improved" it's "deny all access to the internet except for browser and email"-features (also called: firewall) so it protects the user from desired connections to the internet even when told to stfu.

Vain
#3 - ORION
Yeah it could be the firewall...
The problem is that I have no clue how to disable it, as it seems to be different than in winXP.
Uh, I tried LFS on CTP b5270 with dismal results. No sound in LFS, never remembered settings, terrible FPS average. Then I uninstalled Vista and lost the MBR and 2 partitions. I expected that so I never tried unlocking it but I think I did take the firewall off from the security center thingy in a similar way I would in XP.
instead of using the december build why not use the feb build? i tryed lfs in it and it worked well, but i dont have sound drivers so cant comment on the sound
Yeah I hope the Feb CTP build (5308) is better, although I seriously doubt any major improvements have occurred. Will find out tomorrow when I get some time to set up a Feb CTP system.
#7 - ORION
The problem is that the December CTP is the newest version at MSDNAA in Aachen :/
If someone wants to send me the February one, I will not say no

[or I should try to get it "in a different way"]
#8 - Krane
Does LFS really work in hasta la vista as good as it does in Win2000/XP? I've read that it drops DirectX backwards support and only has DirectX 10 as native and DX9 support through some sort of emulation (DirectX 9.L).

While googling the other day I didn't find any information about DX8.1 and older working at all, but from your posts it appears that games using older DX does work.....?

That also makes me wonder what is Scawen going to do with the graphics engine update, if he's going to update it at all.....
Would seem sensible to skip DX9 altogether and go for DX10 while keeping the old 8.1
#9 - ORION
LFS works quite well, but the gfx drivers are without any optimizations, thus the fps are not as high I'd say (but still around 100 ).
The only thing I found strange was he stuttering. Vista seems to optimize the hard drives in background - actually the hard drives are working all the time (almost)...

[EDIT]
when using 32bit, somethimes things go crazy, and I already had missing wheels and weird flickering of the screen (like when your inside a skybox in Half-Life)
#10 - Vain
And you're sure the harddrive isn't swapping?

Vain
no I wasnt.
But i have disabled the pagefile right now, rebootet (which takes up to 10 minutes until the hard drives are quiet), and still the same. Checked the pagefile size and it says 0MB.
I have 1GB ram, so this should be enough.

LFS + Windows Vista
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG