The online racing simulator
Quake Live!
(34 posts, started )
#27 - AMB
I've played it, not a bad game, worth playing when there's nothing else to do I suppose.
i LOVE it!!!
NightFly7
#30 - Vain
I have to say I have a very poor impression of Quake Live.
I tried to go to the site, but it didn't support Opera, I tried in Explorer, but it doesn't support IE6. I installed IE8, I returned to the site, I downloaded the plugin and installed it, returned to the site, noticed that the mouse didn't work (in a FPS?!), went to the forum, tried a fix, didn't work, repeat, repeat, repeat, worked, played a nice skill accessment match (12:11), battled online for an hour and lost each and every game with something like 3:10 frags.
So I just spend about 2 hours on the game and had (nearly) no fun at all. Also I don't know how to uninstall the game now. It installed itself to %Application Data% which I dislike a lot since my operation system partition is meant for other things. And I can't just delete it because I don't want fragments of it floating around on my computer.

Why didn't they just offer it as a download with a msi installer? That would've saved me a lot of trouble. Bad game design.

Apart from that I disliked the mapdesign on those 4 maps I played a lot. UT had vastly better standard maps.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Why didn't they just offer it as a download with a msi installer? That would've saved me a lot of trouble. Bad game design.

I agree. If it has such specific requirements, why isn't it just a downloadable game?
Quote from pb32000 :I agree. If it has such specific requirements, why isn't it just a downloadable game?

It's distributed as a "free game" on the prerequisite that its dloaded and managed via the browser. That way they can manage a lot more in terms of marketability and what content they get their audience to see as part of the complete package.
Quote from pb32000 :I agree. If it has such specific requirements, why isn't it just a downloadable game?

To be fair it is only in beta stages, and as time goes on the requirements might get less specific. I have tried it on 2 computers...I'm on Firefox...had no problems...and IE8...no problems. The requirements aren't that specific really considering the amount of people that will meet them already.
Forgot to add this is not the only thing that is going to offer gaming through the browser.

http://www.onlive.com/service/how_onlive_works.html

Check that out Well I'm not sure that will work well, I guess you'd need an uber connection, but it COULD be the next big thing. Considering if it does work well, you won't need any crazy hardware to run the games well, simply because the servers do it for you.

Quake Live!
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG