The online racing simulator
Driver Security Training
(5 posts, started )
#1 - smove
Driver Security Training
Hello drivers,

after participating in a driver security training recently (in real life of course :razz I decided to replicate some of the most interesting tests for LFS like the slalom, the famous moose test and emergency braking manoeuvres on surfaces with different grip called µ-Split.

The target for each of the lessons is to not hit any of the cones. It therefore is advised to approximate the limit with slower speeds, raising pace after every pass, beginning with about 80 kph. That's just how it was executed at the training centre here in Germany.

1. Slalom
Try to follow the slalom as fast as possible and finish between the last two cones (forwards! ).

2. Moose Test*
Drive quickly towards the obstacle (don't brake, just coast) and try to avoid it in a "scared" way, ripping the steering wheel quickly so the car *may* pull. This is indeed a volitional effect you should learn to fight by catching the car and coming to a secure stop on the lane you started, ideally between the last two cones next to the second obstacle that simulates opposing traffic.

3. µ-Split 1
Braking on surfaces with a different adhesion coefficient, in this case grass on the left, tarmac on the right. Begin braking on a level with the initial cones and try to bring the car to a secure stop within the shortest distance, balancing the car to not spin into an obstacle. Try with ABS on/off.

4. µ-Split 2
Similar to µ-Split 1, except an obstacle is added in the middle of the road. Do the same kind of emergency braking as in 3. and drive round the obstacle on tarmac or on grass in an alternating way. Again, try with ABS on/off.

*based on this layout file

This training session may be extended, if you have any ideas or remarks, please let me know. I've uploaded the layout files and some replays to watch.

And now, go test your cars and your "real" driving skills!
Attached images
driverssecurity.jpg
Attached files
LYT.zip - 2.6 KB - 448 views
SPR.zip - 30.1 KB - 306 views
Did you NEED to ZIP the layout?

I personally think it's a hassle to unzip everything when all you had to do was add .02 KB and leave it unzipped.

I'm downloading it anyway,
#3 - smove
Quote from ToxicKlay :Did you NEED to ZIP the layout?

I personally think it's a hassle to unzip everything when all you had to do was add .02 KB and leave it unzipped.

I'm downloading it anyway,

Yes I had, because there are four files in each zip and you can only upload a maximum of four files per post without using an imagehost.
Hey, thanks smove for great driving school and Kirill.D for nice skins!

Driver Security Training
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG