The online racing simulator
#1 - YuGr.
''Guest Wants To Join'' Dedi Server HELP
Hi guys, so i searched the forum a bit and can't seem to find the answer to my problem. I'm trying to host a LFS demo server. I forwarded all my ports and everything SHOULD be fine.. but unfortunately it is not. Nobody seems to be able to connect to my server, but I can see in the server console ''Guests wants to join.'' But then my friend says it just ''Connection Time Out''.

My server does appear on LFSWorld which is a good sign..

Thanks for all you help.
#2 - YuGr.
no one can help me?
if guest times out:

Ur oe the connections internet connection is to bad.
#4 - YuGr.
i got 100mbps, my download speed is 700kb/s and my upload speed is 90kb/s. you still think its cause of my internet?
Here's the maximum racers you can handle on the upload bandwidth you have:
PPS 6: 12
PPS 5: 13
PPS 4: 15
PPS 3: 17

Obviously, if you try to go over those numbers, then yes, someone won't be able to connect, or stay connected.
#6 - YuGr.
okay but thats not helping, NO ONE except myself can connect to my server.. in my server console it says ''guest wants to join''. any ideas?
Have you checked your firewall.... maybe you need to set up your exceptions.
#8 - YuGr.
did that too. Thanks for the help guys.. anyone got anything else?
#9 - YuGr.
siighh.. oh and by the way when i scan a port from a website they seem to not be responding.. although i forwarded my ports properly and even tried with no firewall active..
If a scan doesnt reach your server then;
1) Firewall (external, or internal windows firewall) may be blocking the ports.
2) You didnt setup port forwarding correctly
c) your ISP is blocking the ports
well i forwarded my ports on my router about 5 times and triple checked them each time. i setup a static ip, and even tried with windows firewall disabled. As for the ''external'' firewall im not sure how to do that please explain. And for the isp i would have to call my internet service provider (ISP) and would they be able to allow the ports needed? Thanks please reply
Some routers or cable/dsl/etc modems may have built in firewalls.
You would need to access such a firewall (see the router/firewall manual) to enable port forwarding, and open ports. Port forwarding directs incoming traffic to one (of multiple computers) on your lan so that when someone tries to reach your server on a port used by LFS, the router directs that incoming traffic to your server (assuming youve properly setup what traffic is allowed, and where it is to be directed)

You could contact your isp to find out if they are blocking ports, or check their website for info, or google search to see if others using your isp have run into problems with online gaming/ports being blocked.

My ISP for example blocks all outgoing port 25 (email) unless its through their own mail server in an attempt to monitor and block anyone using their service to send spam

Whether they open ports for you is another story...
thanks a lot for the reply ill try check it out and see what happens. Btw why do you love hearing ''100mbps'' ?? Sarcasm?
by the way robby mac, i have a router WRT160nV2 from Linksys, and my modem is a bell modem (if you know bell sympatico from montreal lol) and my computer is the one with the router for the house wireless internet. I forwarded the ports in my router but is there anything i have to do with the modem? Thanks your actually helping me a lot bro
He prolly thought you were thinking you had a 100mps connection speed. but your network is at 100mps (LAN).

Im not familiar with your modem. It shouldve come with a manual, and if it has a router and/or firewall built in, it owuld be similar to your linksys.
My guess is you do not have a firewall or router in the modem... (or else youd have spent some time getting both the modem and linksys to work together to get you internet in the first place)

Check your logs in your firewall to see if its blocking communication from your friends ip address. Otherwise, one thing you can try, is to disconnect your router. make note which cables plug into where. Then plug only your server network cable into the modem. reset/reboot and all that. This puts just your server on the internet during this test, and the firewall is no longer involved in the process. Then have a friend try to connect to your server. Make sure all firewalls, AV, etc is off.
Once you establish whether your friend connects or not, disconnect and reconnect your network cables as before. You dont want to leave your server plugged into the internet unprotected for too long.
Now if the server connection worked during this test, then its something in your firewall not allowing traffic through.
If it didnt work, then its your ISP or something still blocking within your pc (AV, Firewall, etc)
Hey man thanks for the reply, i just tried without my router and windows firewall deactivated and still no good. So if i understand your knowledge, it could be one of two things, modem firewall, or ISP blocking?

My friend has same connection type with same company and hosted a LFS server no problem, although he does not have same modem as me. I'll look into see if there is a restriction in the modem. ill get back to you
alright so now, i just realized that, my first ''modem'' is in fact a router modem.. so right now i basically have a router in back of a router. Which i think is the problem, any one know what to do? I'm not that good when it comes to ip.
You need to forward the ports twice? First from the modem to the router and then from the router to your computer.
Search for tech support forums on bell routers to determine how it handles port forwarding through another router.

My thought would be as mentioned above, have all communication pass through to the 2nd router. But I dont know what security issues (hacks on your modem) might arise from doing that. You might also be able to port forward from the bell modem to your server (perhaps bypassing the 2nd router?), but Im not sure. Ive not played around enough with router through router networking (I couldnt even tell you what thats called)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG