The online racing simulator
#1 - majik
Anyone want to shop for me?? (New computer stuff)
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade my computer. I now have a p4 2.4ghz cpu. 1gb of ram. I bought a geforce 6600gt OC agp video card the other day and that sort of gave me the bug to increase everything else. The problem is I understand the main numbers ie 3200+ and such, but all the FSB and other associated numbers are just gibberish. I would like to spend around 300 or less at new egg, so what do you recommend? I will be getting a case, but I can pick that out. Also since I am getting a new board, I am thinking I need to return my video card and get a pci-e card. Any recommendations on some good combos? I am not an intel or AMD fanboy, but I here AMD is cheaper for the same performance. Thanks for the help.
if you have a 2.4C you can overclock it to atleast 3.2ghz.
If you want to play games, AMD is the way to go. I don't think you can get much for 300 bucks, though. Even at the lower end (Athlon64 3200+ 2.0 GHz on Socket 939) you're paying $170 for the CPU alone. A decent motherboard (ASUS A8N-SLI) will cost you another $120. So that's $290 right there. There goes your budget. This also isn't a huge upgrade over what you already have.

Also, AMD is going to be releasing a new socket soon, called AM2. DDR2 support is the main reason for the change. The new socket won't be out for another few months at least, though.
Quote from Roadie :if you have a 2.4C you can overclock it to atleast 3.2ghz.

That requires some high(er) end memory, though.
#5 - majik
I can run LFS pretty well right now, but also I picked up GTL. I can have the graphics on medium with a few cars and be around 30fps, maybe a little lower depending on when I am on the track. Are people able to turn the graphics all the way up with a 3.2 or similar? I was under the impression that my machine is a little weak since I built it around two years ago on bargain bin parts. i.e. under 200 for the mobo/cpu combo. I have since added the ram and the video card.
I think in GTL, chances are you're limited by your video card. If you want to run at max details, you probably need something like a 7800GT or GTX, and to get the most out of one of those cards, you need at least an Athlon64 3200+.

Besides, what do you want to play GTL for when LFS has much better physics and FF.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG