The online racing simulator
A few questions
(17 posts, started )
A few questions
Hi, Im new to this game but am looking forward to getting better.

Why does the steering lock while breaking? how can I change this?

Is there anyway to get rid of that annoying noise inbetween music tracks?

how can I set the default view to external?(I realise its not recomended to use this view, but is personal preference.)

I use a ps2 style joypad but the anologue input seems too sensitive (eg. tilting the stick ever so slightly jams the wheels all the way causing skidding) any idea how to adjust this?

Thank you very much if you can help me with any of this
The solution to steering locking under braking is to reduce the brake force and/or brake bias in your car's setup screen. Haven't got any specifics on the others.
You have to remember Mog, LFS won't react the way Grand Turismo does. LFS is trying to be Uber realistic. Which generally means you are not going to pick it up in one session.

A few specific answers to your questions would be:

By steering lock are you referring to the front wheels locking up upon braking or loosing steering on corner exit? If you are front wheel driving then the cars loose grip as you accelerate out of a corner due to power put down. Try lengthening the gear ratios to regain some control. If you are locking under braking then retard the braking force untill you regain control . . . There are many more things you could do, but when you are asking the right questions then I know you can understand the answers we give . . .

I quite like that annoying music noise between tracks, even downloaded the extra tracks so I can't tell you how to switch it off. There's probable a setting for it somewhere.

Button C changes the view. At least I fairly sure it's C, it's V if not. You can change the key mapping in Settings.

your PS2 Controller. Stop using it. It will never give you the control you need or are going to want. It may feel cool using it but coupled with your external view preference I get the impression you are trying to Arcade LFS. It won't like you for doing that and you will find it an unrewarding experiance. Get a wheel, or failing that use a mouse/kb setup. There are many things you can do with your car setup and control setup to become an effective racer with this control method.

Please, please, please, read a few manuals. At least just scan through them. They do provide much information and there are many at diffent levels of experiance. LFS will give you so much but you do need to change your mindset from Arcade to Simulator.

happy racing.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :The solution to steering locking under braking is to reduce the brake force and/or brake bias in your car's setup screen. Haven't got any specifics on the others.

I cant find brake force in setup, there is 'max per wheel' and 'brake balance', is it one of these?
yes - max brake force per wheel.
Is there anyway to get rid of that annoying noise inbetween music tracks
Yes there is a way Is there anyway to get rid of that annoying noise inbetween music tracks go to options then go to audio then music while raceing turn it off and you got no more music in your raceing.
For your ps2 controller try the following settings (works for xbox controller but i suspect ps2 is more sensitive than the xbox, not sure though )

In Car Setup under Steering set "Max Steering Lock" to between 12-16*
In Options under Controller set "Wheel turn" to 180*, "Wheel turn compensation" to 0.20, "Throttle/ brake axes" to Seperate (if you can), "Throttle/ brake centre reduction" to 0.40, and "Remove deadzones" to Yes.
In Options under Misc set "Analogue steersmooth" to 0.65

With an xbox controller I can get to within 1-2 sec of WR times and I'm still improving, so hope the above helps

If you still find it too sensitive raise the "Wheel turn compensation" until you get the desired outcome, I prefer to keep it low though to retain as much linear feel as possible in the steering, which helps with precsion in corners...
Quote from Mog666 :I cant find brake force in setup, there is 'max per wheel' and 'brake balance', is it one of these?

Mate, honestly. Read a manual. Yes you where in the right area and the Max per wheel is the Braking force acting on the disks. But do some reading to understand that there are other things you can do and how changing the braking force and bias will effect the handling of the car.

There are so many other things you can alter in your setup to improve your braking and general handling. Tyre pressures, camber, gearing, suspension damping and ride hieght. The list goes on. But if you read a bit then at least when you come to us with a spefic question about handling you will have more of an understanding about what we are saying to you.
Thankyou 'B2B@300' using some of what you said as well as some stuff from another thread I have managed to test and find a handling I am pretty happy with.

also thanks for the suggestion 'faster111' but I do want to have music playing I just dont want the HORRIBLE beep noise.

and while thank you for your interest 'funnybear' I HAVE tried looking the manuels but didnt find them very helpfull for someone like me who knows NOTHING about cars they were just too much, also I know there is a button to change the view but I just find it irritating I have to press it every time I start a race, my question was how do I change the DEFAULT view(eg. starting view).
Don't tell me you're driving with outside view...

To get the most out of any true simulator, you need to use inside view. Nothing else will give you the precise visual feedback required.
I don't think there is a way to set to a default outside view. To be honest you will just find LFS to be frustrating and difficult unless you learn about the vehicles and how to set them up. LFS is very difficult to just pick up and drive and you might end up being kicked from servers more often than not for driving irraticaly. If you want to blend with the community and race competatively then please take on board some of our sudgestions.

Otherwise I think you will end up being disapointed with what you get from LFS. If you want an arcade version of racing try GTL, Rfactor and espeacially TOCA. (But don't tell them I said that). If you want to get involved with the cars and the setting up with close, competative racing then LFS will give it to you in bucket loads if you are prepared to assilmilate yourself into it . . . .

I'm not slagging you off, just trying to open your eyes a little and give you the best experiance you can of LFS . . .

Edit - Mog. If you you know NOTHING about cars then anything we explain to you on here will only make matters worse if you don't understand what you are doing. A basic guide will give you an explanation as to what the components and mechanical properties do in and around a racing car. There is so much to LFS in regards to setting up and the actual racing that anything you have played before hand will have to be thrown out the window. You will NOT get an arcade feel or experiance from LFS. The cars handle very differently as there are no Safety Nets in regards to programmed in Driver aids or car characturistics.

I'm not trying to put you off. Like I said I just want to help you get the best from LFS and all it has to offer.
I dont think Im doing too badly my only two races online so far I came 3rd out of 11 and 3rd out of 13, and no hint of being kicked.

like I said Ive got my handling sorted and Im okay with my view its just annoying to have to press a button every race.

thanks for the comment 'forbin' but as youve probbly guessed Im not here for the "true simulator" I just like racing online and Im pretty much sorted doing that now.

Thank you very much

ps. still cant lose that bloody beep tho!
Well thats ok then. I don't mind being proven wrong. What Car/Track you been driving? Can I guess? FO8 and Oval?

Damn. hush my mouth. Get myself into so much trouble.

Good luck to you my friend.

Happy racing.
Quote from Funnybear :Well thats ok then. I don't mind being proven wrong. What Car/Track you been driving? Can I guess? FO8 and Oval?

Damn. hush my mouth. Get myself into so much trouble.

Good luck to you my friend.

Happy racing.

erm, FOX and BLGP.

Cheers
lol . . . .
You're not going to have a very good online racing experience using outside view. For one you'll be much slower. Secondly, you won't have as good control of the car and may be more prone to hitting other people or getting in the way of others. You may find that people react poorly towards you as a result of this.
#17 - troy

A few questions
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG