The online racing simulator
PC for LFS.
(49 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
No, it will just give you more storage - a USB HDD will be slower than the internal one you've got now anyway.

PS - Dell Inspiron 530 is just the name for their inspiron desktops - it doesn't actually mean anything in real terms (the model number is Dell Inspiron 530/xxxx <- that being the important bit)
kk thanks lol
Quote from Jakg :
a cheap-o 700w PSU will never power a decent rig, and if it blows up (which it's likely to do) then rather than just taking itself out it'll take out other components.

1. I never said mine was Cheap-o - 2. I've never seen a PSU explode or heard of one exploding. It would have to get hot, or undergo thousands and thousands of hours of stress in order for it to explode. Even the cheap-o ones have to go threw some saftey conditions. I'm starting to get confused by your conclusions on things.
#29 - Jakg
Quote from Jakg :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA

A $70 (£35) 700 watt PSU is likely to be trash unless it's the FSP one i'm using - as any decent 700watt PSU will be about £65+

Honestly, what does that PSU have to do with the topic / Bad quality psu's? they changed the voltage to blow stuff up.. just moronic..

i myself have a "Ace RAW Deal 620" psu. thats a 620w psu costs about $74 is the dollar is @ 6 SEK.. anyway, it powers a gigabyte mobo, intel e8500, 2gb ram, 4 hdd's, 1 sata dvd, 6 usb thingies.. no smoke yet..
ftr I am running a 9800GT with only a 400watt PSU & it runs fine. Dont buy budget crap mines one of the cheaper decent psu's made by HIPER.

If you can cut back anywhere get a better mobo, foxconn are not that good tbh. Gigabyte do some good value boards infact I have a C2D one for sale at the mo. £30 if ur interested
^^^ agreed. i could of gotten a "no named" psu. about 7000watts or something close. i opted for a hiper 580watt for a similar price. a team mate tried to put the shizz up me by saying that his hiper died on him but i think he was sucking too much power out ot it.
#33 - Jakg
I had a Hiper 580 Watt (the Type-M iirc) but it caused instability and made a whining noise after a few years of use - when I added an extra fan it made things better, but after a while i just bought my current PSU...
#35 - Jakg
Because your PSU (like the rest of your PC by the sounds of it - i.e. your special mega fast "8600GTX") is shit.
Quote from Jakg :Because your PSU (like the rest of your PC by the sounds of it - i.e. your special mega fast "8600GTX") is shit.

You fail. I have a 9800GT. Btw did u see the white text?
My system is very similar except:
Amd 5200+ (not 6000)
OCZ Vindicator Cooling Kit for CPU
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb GDDR3
4 gb DDR2 Dual Channel memory (2 gb corsair, 2gb PNY)
2 WD 160gb SATA HD
MoBoard is Gigabyte (cant get model # where im at right now)
I also upgraded to 700w or 750w power supply

I used to get over 300 fps (dont remember exactly how high) with everything turned on, I lock it at 65 fps. I can check it for exact fps after today's work, if you want me to.

EDIT: CHECKED IT. With everything on, hi-res texture pack, 1600x900x32bit res, and most nvidia stuff set to high quality (vs performance) Im getting average 130fps on South City. I think I was running lower res, no texture packs, and performance setting on nvidia gpu when I was getting the 300 fps.

My system is NOT overclocked. is almost 2 years old, and my 750 w power supply hasnt crapped out on me yet

Found this old post comparison between my old system and new:
OLD system (Intel Celeron 3.2g, BioStar MoBo, ATI Radeon X1300 (AGP, 256mb), 1GB DDR
I can only monitor cpu temp.
Idle Temp: Cpu 41C
Max Temp: Cpu 56C
PcMark05: 2126
3dMark06: 676

NEW System: AMD5200+, Gigabyte MoBo, EVGA 8800GTX (PCI-E, 768mb), 4gb DDR2
I can monitor cpu cores and grafix card temps;
Idle Temps: Core1: 36C, Core2: 34C, GrafX: 64C
Max Temps: Core1: 46C, Core2: 43C, GrafX: 77C
PCMark05: 6316
3DMark06: 9492
I'd go for the intel, even if it's clocked lower, it has much more overclocking potency, and they are running much cooler.
Just built a system for my little bro, 5200+, 2GB ram and an HD3870. I regret chosing AMD, but didn't have a chance to go for the Intel, because of the lack of time (store didn't have any Intel in that price range). GTA runs, but gives around 15-20 fps in average, with all the things set to minimum that use mostly CPU.
So go for the Intel, even a low-end one can easily hit 3-3,5+ghz.
And for the PSU, don't overrate it too much. The closer they are running to the peak output, the more efficient they are. I'm not saying that 400W one would fit the system, but a 450-500W branded PSU is enough. I'm using a 5 yr old 460W Enermax, has no problem with a C2D@4ghz, 4gb ram, HD4850, 6 HDDs and 5 fans.
TBO the intel chips overclock nicer on average than the AMD ones, but for gaming either one is fine. The rest of your system seems good enough as well, no major issues so far...

The PSU on the other hand, is one of the most critical components in your system. One thing, wattage is not the most important factor in a PSU. What IS important is amperage on your 12v rail(s). Your desired video card takes around 25-30 amps so as long as your desired PCS can handle that you should be golden.
Its not all about the mhz either!!!Level 2 cache when gaming is involved is also important.

i would also suggest going down the intel route, c2d 775, the lv2 cache helps alot in games, something out of the 4000-5000 dual core range will cost £50-£70 and has 2-3 meg of lvl 2 cache., or a little step to the 8000 range the lvl 2 cache is more than 4meg isnt it?2.4-2.6 default clock speed and easily overclockable on air(with other decent components, mobo and ram)
Quote from McDee :
One thing, wattage is not the most important factor in a PSU. What IS important is amperage on your 12v rail(s). Your desired video card takes around 25-30 amps so as long as your desired PCS can handle that you should be golden.

Wrong, his desired video card requires about 18amps or less to run effectively. I should know I have one. Dont believe the manufacturers hype about the wattage you need, its rarely accurate.
Quote from Jakg :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA

A $70 (£35) 700 watt PSU is likely to be trash unless it's the FSP one i'm using - as any decent 700watt PSU will be about £65+

So anyone else who gets something for a bargin has bought shit but if it is you it's perfect. Yeah bloody right. So think before insulting someone.
#43 - Jakg
EZCool = Rubbish.

FSP = Good (they make kit for OCZ etc whose PSU's are very good).

It's like saying because I got an F430 for £2,000 it must be shit...
EZcool= not rubbish. i have a 400watt one here and it's been working fine for the past 2 years. i switched up to a hiper 580 so that i could use the 8800GT and DDR2. but the EZcool 400watt was a good PSU that has yet to fail.
Well this PSU can easily handle overclocking. And I also know what can happen to a psu as my Dad's old generic psu went pop.

With my current setup it is only using about 50% of the PSU's power. Oh and can a shit pc run flight simulator X on ultra high? I think not.
probably unnamed 600W PSU should handle 400W. I think.
JakG is right, stay away from cheap-o PSU at all cost's!

They will either make your system unstable or go pop, end of.

A decent branded 450/500watt PSU will handle that system no problem.

I run a Athlon X2 5000+ @ 3.0GHZ and an ATI Radeon 4870 512mb off of a 600watt OCZ PSU - i could run it off a 500 watt but i like a little bit of extra power just in case (Supposed to have 500watt min for 4870).
#48 - Jakg
Quote from Luke.S :Well this PSU can easily handle overclocking. And I also know what can happen to a psu as my Dad's old generic psu went pop.

With my current setup it is only using about 50% of the PSU's power. Oh and can a shit pc run flight simulator X on ultra high? I think not.

*sigh*

You just don't get it

Review of EZCool units, here.
Quote from Feffe85 :Honestly, what does that PSU have to do with the topic / Bad quality psu's? they changed the voltage to blow stuff up.. just moronic..

i myself have a "Ace RAW Deal 620" psu. thats a 620w psu costs about $74 is the dollar is @ 6 SEK.. anyway, it powers a gigabyte mobo, intel e8500, 2gb ram, 4 hdd's, 1 sata dvd, 6 usb thingies.. no smoke yet..

Try it and see! A lot of PC Builders have tried using cheap-o PSU's and got their fingers burned - I cheaped out on a Qtec unit in the 939 days and it blew itself up AND took my lovely A8N-SLi Deluxe with it! So then I had to buy a new board AND a new decent PSU. False economy...

Expensive PSU's can still go pop - but when they do they don't damage other components.
Quote from Luke.S :So anyone else who gets something for a bargin has bought shit but if it is you it's perfect. Yeah bloody right. So think before insulting someone.

You can buy a Seat Leon Cupra for £1,500 or i'll sell you my car for £2,000 - my car will do 160 MPH, 0-60 in 5 seconds and has 200 BHP.

Obviously my car has to be best deal, right? It's a bargain!

Only the specs are hopelessly overinflated - it'd never ever ever hit that and if you tried it'd blow up - just like a cheap PSU.

The real bargain woulda been the Seat...
i would not go for the seat or your proton. i'd get a cheapo skoda that doesn't break.

have you ever used an Ezcool psu jakg? yes the review (not read it but i'm guessing it'll be bad if you're using it to strengthen your point) might shine a bad light on that psu, but if you look hard enough, you can find a bad review about almost anything you want. all you need is an unhappy customer and there you have it....bad review.
i'll just repeat myself here. i have an Ezcool PSU and it's close to 2 years old. it's satill running and it has never failed me.
i've only read the first page of the "review" but it seems that the guys posting said that the mobo could be faulty which would of meant that it wasn't all the psu that did the damage to his system.
EDIT: although the Review you posted isn't a review. it's a thread on a forum made by a user who got faulty hardware. a bit like this link: http://www.subaruforester.org/ ... ssibly-wg-actuator-44373/ would you say that the forester is a bad car because an owner is running into difficulties with his hardware?

PC for LFS.
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG