The online racing simulator
Cool F1 Car comparison article!
(24 posts, started )
I'm glad the teams realize that you don't need 20 wings to make alot of downforce. Previous cars looked like a bunch of expensive door wedges glued to slicks.
From most of these angles, the 2009 cars actually look better than the 2008 cars, IMO.
BMW Sauber looks like its made with axe Anyway, 2008 cars was like spaceships, with thousands of small details on it I wish the V10 engines would be in F1 again...
#5 - 5haz
I never thought I would, but im starting to get used to them.

I'm sure as things go on they will get less ugly and more refined, for example in 1982/3 when they banned Ground effect all the cars looked a bit odd with tiny sidepods and the giant double wings, but things improved slowly.
I prefer 2008 cars for design, they looked original
Anyway I'm not a fan of F1 design
Quote from Sueycide_FD :I'm glad the teams realize that you don't need 20 wings to make alot of downforce. Previous cars looked like a bunch of expensive door wedges glued to slicks.

Yes you do, but now they're not allowed to.
from other pics iv seen I thought oh we are going back to the old versions of the F1 cars (1990s ) but from theses pics they look total difffrent to what iv just said and they look cool
From those pics I'd say the MP4FWF60 is teh winner.
I rather like the Mclaren one.. looks mean.
The new Mclaren is probably the best looking by far.
Quote from trebor901 :The new Mclaren is probably the best looking by far.

Yeah, Wins the award for most ugly car ever.
F60 > mp4/24
I think after the initial shock of the new designs I have to say the look better, but the important factor is how will they perform in the dirty air, will the new restrictions make for better racing......

....time will tell.

FTR the Ferrari looks the nicest imo, but then I would expect the Italians to make a stylish car and nothing else. (cue some smartarse showing a picture of an ugly Ferrari)
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Red Bull, most people have been saying it's really good looking. Webber himself said he thought it was a beautiful car outright, not just the best looking of the 2009 cars.
The proportions of the new cars are wrong, all wrong. You can't make beauty if the proportions are so regulated. It just aint happening. F1 cars haven't been good look since the very early nineties.

Here's how I see it

Shakira - Beautful
Ferrari Dino - Beautul
Himalayas - Beautiful

F1 2009 - give me a f'in break!

I actually really like the middle parts of these cars, and it's nice to see them without a ton of BS hanging of them, but good looking they aint!

Anyway the racing next year is gonna be poop and everyone will be left wondering - why?
#17 - DeKo
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :I think after the initial shock of the new designs I have to say the look better, but the important factor is how will they perform in the dirty air, will the new restrictions make for better racing......

....time will tell.

FTR the Ferrari looks the nicest imo, but then I would expect the Italians to make a stylish car and nothing else. (cue some smartarse showing a picture of an ugly Ferrari)

not being one to dissapoint,

but anyway yeah, i like the look of the new F1 cars, far better than last years. the slicks just look awesome.
Or the road is full of snow.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :I'm glad the teams realize that you don't need 20 wings to make alot of downforce. Previous cars looked like a bunch of expensive door wedges glued to slicks.

The rules don't allow for all the little winglets now, so the cars look more aerodynamically 'cleaner'
Quote from sinbad :Yes you do, but now they're not allowed to.

You don't need all the winglets anyway, the reason they were there is because they were finding ways around the fact the FIA were trying to reduce the downforce anyway on the front and rear, so the only places left were like 50mm strips on the side pod.
Quote from BlueFlame :The rules don't allow for all the little winglets now, so the cars look more aerodynamically 'cleaner'

You don't need all the winglets anyway, the reason they were there is because they were finding ways around the fact the FIA were trying to reduce the downforce anyway on the front and rear, so the only places left were like 50mm strips on the side pod.

Given the same front and rear wing sizes as last year, the cars would be producing far less downforce with the no-winglet regulations (I guess they are anyway with the smaller rear wing). I was just saying the teams didn't remove them "because they realised they didn't need them", if they could still have them they would, new wing regulations or not. Last season if you wanted your F1 car to produce "a lot" of downforce it needed that messy array of winglets.

Anyway the McLaren is the best looking by far, nice sidepods, nice engine cover, nice nose, nice paint scheme.........don't mention the front wing.

So true =)

A stockcar makes almost the same downforce as an F1 car...
Quote from sinbad :Given the same front and rear wing sizes as last year, the cars would be producing far less downforce with the no-winglet regulations (I guess they are anyway with the smaller rear wing). I was just saying the teams didn't remove them "because they realised they didn't need them", if they could still have them they would, new wing regulations or not. Last season if you wanted your F1 car to produce "a lot" of downforce it needed that messy array of winglets.

Anyway the McLaren is the best looking by far, nice sidepods, nice engine cover, nice nose, nice paint scheme.........don't mention the front wing.

Yes, you are correct Sinbad.. Somethings changing lol lerts is leaving LFSForum, and I have agreed with someone on this forum... wow... things are going spoooky.
Quote from sinbad :Given the same front and rear wing sizes as last year, the cars would be producing far less downforce with the no-winglet regulations (I guess they are anyway with the smaller rear wing). I was just saying the teams didn't remove them "because they realised they didn't need them", if they could still have them they would, new wing regulations or not. Last season if you wanted your F1 car to produce "a lot" of downforce it needed that messy array of winglets.

I agree. They'd probably use them on the new cars if they could because they're limited in what they can do with the main wings.

Though if the rules suddenly changed and they could do whatever the hell they wanted aerodynamically I doubt you'd see too many buggering about with loads of winglets. Maybe winglets for redirecting airflow to make better use of the main wings and various other purposes but mostly I think they'd make the front and rear wing produce the amount of downforce they need without the need for winglets (or other aerodynamic devices) primarily for the purpose of downforce.

They probably wouldn't need them in an ideal design but that isn't why they got rid of them from this years car. That's only one mans unexpert opinion though.

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG