The online racing simulator
India will have a GP
(8 posts, started )
India will have a GP
Quote :India will definitely host a Formula One race in New Delhi in 2011, according to F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

Ecclestone said he and Indian partner Jaiprakash Associates were "fully committed" to bringing a race to the Indian capital.
"Of course, we will deliver. Otherwise we wouldn't have entered into an agreement," Ecclestone told the BBC.

Construction on a circuit in New Delhi has yet to begin.India, with a population of more than one billion and possessing one of the world's fastest-growing economies, has been talked about as a potential race host since Force India entered the sport last season. "It's a large, large country with a big population and it's good for the sponsors, car manufacturers and everyone involved in Formula One," Ecclestone said.

uhh......
It's a large country, but the ten most popular sports in India are, in order.
  1. Cricket
  2. Cricket
  3. Cricket
  4. Cricket
  5. Cricket
  6. Cricket
  7. Cricket
  8. Cricket
  9. Cricket
  10. Cricket
Not going to be a commercial success as motor racing simply isn't on the sports landscape there. There will quite probably be a cricket match that day with the same or higher attendance.
#3 - kirmy
Quote from duke_toaster :It's a large country, but the ten most popular sports in India are, in order.
  1. Cricket
  2. Cricket
  3. Cricket
  4. Cricket
  5. Cricket
  6. Cricket
  7. Cricket
  8. Cricket
  9. Cricket
  10. Hockey

corrected for accuracy
Hah, they play hockey in India?
No offence, but 99,9% of the population in india earn less than 5 Dollars a month... how on earth will this help tho raise the economy there? Sure, there will be more employees needed, but the people paving the place will also earn next to nothing, whilst one ticket to the F1gp of India will still cost hundreds.

My opinion: Build schools there, no f***ing Racetrack, you god forgotten idiots!

greetz

der butz
Quote from der butz :No offence, but 99,9% of the population in india earn less than 5 Dollars a month... how on earth will this help tho raise the economy there? Sure, there will be more employees needed, but the people paving the place will also earn next to nothing, whilst one ticket to the F1gp of India will still cost hundreds.

My opinion: Build schools there, no f***ing Racetrack, you god forgotten idiots!

greetz

der butz

Okay, sorry, but you are partly wrong. First, 5 Dollars a month is a complete hyperbole (major exageration...I am in english class). It is very little, but it is more than that. Also, people who are actually trained like doctors and engineers earn a lot more than that. Also, you have to consider that everything is cheaper in India with comparision.

Next, imo, the school's in India are the best in the world. I have studied there (I moved to USA because my dad got a job transfer). They learn algebra in the third grade and are on calculus by eight grade. And that is not the advanced classes. So, please don't say that the schools are a problem. And there are quite a lot of school's there, but you are right: More schools are never bad.

Btw, motorsports is very popular in India. Granted, no where towards the popularity of cricket, it is still very high.

Just my two cents!

Thanks,
Shashdev
Quote from UncleBenny :Hah, they play hockey in India?

Supposedly they are rather good at field hockey (the one on Astroturf, not the one in ice) - they won the Olympic men's tournament eight times but according to WP they dropped of the boil. Wikipedia : insightful information for sports you don't understand.

As far as income is concerned, India wouldn't be at a major extreme but tickets would be beyond much of the population. Like China.

Whilst India having a GP is a nice idea, there is one question few people have the balls to ask. What would be better for F1 - India joining or a return of the US Grand Prix?

EDIT : What sort of TV ratings does F1 get in India? Anyone with a clue - it is on a satellite broadcaster though.

India will have a GP
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG