The online racing simulator
Huge star in the sky over NE UK
(51 posts, started )
Can anyone else see this really bright star? Its almost too bright to be a star looking at it through binoculars makes it look like its got a tail or something.

Its pretty much exactly south west from where I was stood in the garden, just took some pictures uploading now.

EDIT:

Picture up:
Each shot was taken at a different aperture using shutter lock up timer and a tripod (basically the sharpest way). I had to focus by hand but I think they were about the best I could get.

Attached images
Starshots.jpg
i saw it before, i thought it was bright, the sky was still blue!
Run!
Images added to first post ( in a few seconds )
Does it pulse or flicker? I would google it, it's probably just a planet or something.
nibiru!
Wasn't really pulsing or flickering I don't think, hope I've taken a picture of something cool like a supernova! (about 0% chance)
can you get a pic of the whole night sky? (cloudy here =[)
Quote from anbiddulph :can you get a pic of the whole night sky? (cloudy here =[)

Can't see any other stars - even though its totally clear the street lights just blank everything out apart from this.
Quote from mcintyrej :Can't see any other stars - even though its totally clear the street lights just blank everything out apart from this.

wierd
hm pretty far west about 10-20° above the horizon?
Quote from Shotglass :hm pretty far west about 10-20° above the horizon?

Pretty much, not very high in the sky. I've just signed up and posted on an astronomy forum about this, see what the experts think of it.

Edit:

The internet wizards say its Venus! Oh well, goodbye doomsday.
Venus methinks.
#14 - SamH
I noticed it a few nights ago when I went out to the shops. It's extraordinarily bright and it looked like a flashlight even though I was in a street-lit area. I actually waited to see if it was a helicopter with a searchlight flying high over the moors, it was that big and bright.
Quote from SamH :I noticed it a few nights ago when I went out to the shops. It's extraordinarily bright and it looked like a flashlight even though I was in a street-lit area. I actually waited to see if it was a helicopter with a searchlight flying high over the moors, it was that big and bright.

Thats what i thought when my missus saw it the other night, i couldn't look otherwise i would have probably crashed! I said it was probably a helicopter. Whoops.
I was in hope that it was the planet x nibiru
i live in the south and theres always a huge bright light in the sky if you look to the South West and i have just put that to being a satellite. Not a planet but ive never seen this one.
It is the world of LFS. We must go there to download the scirocco.
Quote from mcintyrej :The internet wizards say its Venus! Oh well, goodbye doomsday.

thought it was too bright to be venus but the low early night position must have it lit unsually strong
Does anyone's arse hurt?

Not you Shotty, you've got an excuse.
#22 - CSU1
Shotglass, kev's speaking of uranus
I live in the middle of nowhere, there are almost no lights to pollute the beautiful night sky...that's right, the one covered completely with clouds! Ah well...
cant see it from west sussex

(or where i live anyway)

(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG