The online racing simulator
Don't blame Need for Speed / NFS
Hi folks,

just something came to my mind again. Something what i thought about already dozen of times while reading this Forum.

Why do you always blame Need for Speed? Why do you always use Need for Speed as the worst example for something what LFS not is?

I just want you to consider that many of the "older" people here (24 and upwards) were maybe introduced to Racing Games with something like The Need for Speed, or Need for Speed II. Maybe even Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, or Need for Speed High Stakes. Some of the even younger people definitely thanks to Need for Speed Porsche.

Nevertheless NFS is always used in a very bad manner in this Forum. Of course its not a competitor, of course its not a simulation. But it surely is a game about cars and about the fascination of driving a car fast. There was a time where they haven't been any simulations like NetKar Pro, LFS, GTR and Co (I don't want to start a discussion about the "simulation" term, please resist). This was a time where something like Need for Speed really catched many car enthusiasts interest. Actually it was for me the reason to buy my first steering wheel - a Thrustmaster T2. Later I of course realized what bothers me about the NFS series and I searched for replacements. I went trough the EA F1 Games, Codemasters TOCA, GTR Racing 2002 for the F1 2005 (if i remember correctly), GTR (more or less only the Demo) and finally LFS. I definitely forgot some, but these are the main steps, even the sequence I am not sure about.

Of course some of you started directly with something like Nascar 2003 or maybe even Grand Prix Legends but not everyone.

I just want to remind some people that maybe NFS did the job for some of us to get us addicted to racing games in the first step.

Of course NFS developed in a specific direction, into a mass game and feeding the crowd, but its still the NFS Series and not just the games since Underground.

Don't blame a whole country for some silly citizens...

Yep, you are right, I don't have a complete free mind regarding NFS. If I am honest I have some kind of big past with it. Used to have very well known german NFS websites (The Racing Zone and later nd4spd.de/n4s.de) and worked for EA as the NFS Community guy in Germany. But this was in the time of NFS II to NFS Underground... it all went down with not beeing able to edit cars anymore and the Series to be adressed to a very young mass market crowd. Just to explain myself and the reason why I still catch myself fighting for the Series...

I hope some of you will think about what NFS was for one or the other some years ago...

my 2 cents,
Steffen

PS: This Thread just brought up this mind again... thats why I posted it now.
*Tumbleweed rolls by*
Because this is Live For Speed, not Need For Speed.

Anyway, I don't blame NFS, but if Live For Speed is more for Need For Speed, then this is not Live For Speed as it is at this moment.

These two games are from different worlds. They can't combined, because then there is only tuning important and huge wings etc... That's why we don't want to discuss about NFS so much, as I have found undefined threads about NFS.
Quote from spankmeyer :*Tumbleweed rolls by*

++

i played NFS2 through carbon, and i couldn't agree more with spankmeyer...

NFS is a "racing game"... LFS is a "driving simulator"... people should just get over it.
Quote from Warper :Hi

I'm pretty sure Need for speed and used in such a bad way. They are used because it is an arcade racer.

Reasons why it may be compared it because LFS could have suggestion, which others may not like, or need fixing. (e.g. that car handles just like it does in a NFS game/if you want to mod cars, play NFS.)

IMO, need for speed games are great IMO. People just refer to them as arcadey, and not realistic. Don't mean they're bad, they can still be fun.

As for the past games, I have no clue on that. I started playing NFS since HP2.

PS: Midnight club > NFS!
Quote from bunder9999 :++

NFS is a "ricing game"... LFS is a "driving simulator"... people should just get over it.

Edited your error
Quote from bunder9999 :++

NFS is a "racing game"... LFS is a "driving simulator"... people should just get over it.

Agreed, but people should realise that NFS is actually quite fun. So what it's not a "simulator". It's a game, and you have fun. That's what matters the most, surely?

Shadoww grow up - Keep it to yourself.
Quote from Shadowww :Edited your error

Perfect. Thanks for proving yourself. Can't we have a mature talk about this topic?

Quote from bunder9999 :

Don't get it. And where did I say that I want to compare these games? Just read my post again a bit more slowly please...
#9 - 5haz
Comparing NFS to LFS is like comparing the Planet Mars to a Corby Trouser Press.
Quote from Warper :Don't get it. And where did I say that I want to compare these games? Just read my post again a bit more slowly please...

umm... your bitchfest is a result of people bashing LFS and/or NFS for not being more like each other... it just won't happen though. sorry, LFS will never get neon lights, and nitrous and whatnot.

if you want to bitch about something, maybe you should realize what you're bitching about.

peace eff-ing out.
the only one game in the series was the original Need for Speed.
Most of the guys who posted before never knew it.

Too bad that after it they dumped the whole concept, and started to gather big cash out of the reputation of the name.

Please, do not post if you don´t know the first one, like the comments "comparing XXX to OOO" ....
It has nothing to do with neons.

For the younger audiance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... wSTaU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... mezxk&feature=related

PS: my introduction in racing was Pitstop on C64 Ok, into real racing it was Indycar by Papyrus
Quote from bunder9999 :umm... your bitchfest is a result of people bashing LFS and/or NFS for not being more like each other... it just won't happen though. sorry, LFS will never get neon lights, and nitrous and whatnot.

if you want to bitch about something, maybe you should realize what you're bitching about.

peace eff-ing out.

omg...! Of course, now i asked for NFS Underground content in LFS. Is it getting even better?
NFS - fun game

LFS - Fun simulator
Quote from GabbO :the only one game in the series was the original Need for Speed.

Too bad that after it they dumped the whole concept, and started to gather big cash out of the reputation of the name.

Please, do not post if you don´t know the first one, like the comments "comparing XXX to OOO" ....

Thank you so much! Someone who really read the topic. Its not about comparing guys. Its just not!
Quote from Warper :Thank you so much! Someone who really read the topic. Its not about comparing guys. Its just not!

What excactly are you on about? And if you are on about something, which I can't figure out anyway, I'm sure this is the wrong subforum for that since it hasn't actually got anything to do with LFS.
Quote from bunder9999 : sorry, LFS will never get neon lights, and nitrous and whatnot.

Never say never!

There could be a slight chance that once LFS is finished (in approx. 132148173407320 days) you could have your own editors. Once said in an interview a loooong time ago. You'll never know what people could do. they could even make other game reps.
Hopefully not F&F. It'll ruin what LFS is about. NFS is a game to have fun, and in comparison, LFS is a more serious 'game', which simulates driving, rather than being overtly customizable. :o
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Never say never!

There could be a slight chance that once LFS is finished (in approx. 132148173407320 days) you could have your own editors. Once said in an interview a loooong time ago. You'll never know what people could do. they could even make other game reps.

seeing how "LFS" doesn't like tweakers, i don't know if that would ever happen... who knows.
Quote from Warper :
Why do you always blame Need for Speed? Why do you always use Need for Speed as the worst example for something what LFS not is?

I think mainly people compare it simply cause of the names. Tell someone of Live For Speed and he/she will ask Need For Speed ??
It just sounds quite like the same.
NFS is the complete oposite of LFS and that makes it easier to show off the diferences!?
I've played em all... first were c64 racers of which I've even forgot the names. Then came revs, the first graphical f1-simulator for the home pc. then test drive (which was not a simulator, but fun!), some top down racing games, geoff crammonds F1 on amiga, indy 500 (the blocky one, playable with the mouse), stunt car racer, supercars2 and 4d sports driving. Then the ibm pc came, and with it microprose again, then papyrus' indy- and nascar racing series. destruction derby and nfs high stakes was fun (i won everything and could see nice cars), big red racing was a blast and made my brother buy his first 3d-card (a voodoo one), I didn't even own a proper computer by then! Later on I bought more funny car games like crashday, carmageddon (okay, this was earlier...) grand prix legends, rally masters, sports car GT, cross racing championship. My first online racing experience was 1nsane, which is serious fun, and I could play with some funny Canadians! On the other side of the world!!!! Cmr2005 was not as cool as RBR, but nice in a different way. Rally Trophy and CMR-Dirt have got some cool cars as well. Gtr and GTL offer a nice variety of tracks and cars, the copy protection is stupid though. Usually I buy a game, install it and put the CD somewhere I don't have to see it:-)

As you see I've played a lot of racing games over the last 20 years. All of them were great fun at the time they were at least half way modern. All of the games offer different cars, tracks, classes of racing, physics and moddability. I like them all.

Nowadays it's LFS time :-) it feels nice, cars and tracks are very well made, but I play this one for the physics and the brutally great netcode!

I don't think people mention nfs so often because it's crap. I think - like some others here - it can surely be fun! Too many young guns here yell for bodykits and wings and so on though, they actually want to have nfs with lfs physics (most of them are demoers, so they want bodynitrous realism AND they want it for free!)

greetz

der butz
Quote from GabbO :the only one game in the series was the original Need for Speed.

It has nothing to do with neons.

For the younger audiance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... wSTaU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... mezxk&feature=related

PS: my introduction in racing was Pitstop on C64 Ok, into real racing it was Indycar by Papyrus

I remember the original NFS. It actually existed in the 3DO era (One of the CD-ROM 3D consoles before Playstation 1) just not as refined like the NFS SE. Now thinking back to it, the game is actually pretty fun and realistic for that time.
I think he means that, it was the Underground and after NFS games that gave NFS the bad name on the simulation comunity. Hell, one of the best racing games i have ever played and introduced me to the racing games comunity is Need For Speed III Hot Pursuit(PSX). And then it became better with Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2(PS2/PC). For me those were the best ones. I don't care if there that arcade, but the high speed and the police chases were awesome...
NFS gets bad publicity here at the forum because of kids requesting ricer stuff for LFS. They see LFS as just another game. Sim racers do not like this. Flamewar ensues.

Don't hate the game, hate the player!
I remember playing the original Need for speed on the PS1, and at the time, it was pretty damn good.
Thank you so much... this is the direction i wanted to go. Haha.. now where i read all your posts i actually remember that i started with GPega (the first ever PC f1 sim?), stunts, Bleifuss and all that stuff. Jepp EA Sportcars GT was also bunch of fun!

Thats was actually one of my points: TNFS was quiet realistic in this time...

Regards,
Steffen

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG