The online racing simulator
When i Alt-Tab my PC reboots.
(14 posts, started )
#1 - richy
Any idea why my PC would just reboot when I press alt tab?
i dunno maybe gfx drivers, does this happens with lfs only? have you tried using the proper way to do it by shift-f4?
Yea, if you are trying to alt-tab from full screen LFS, it doesn't work that way. You must shift-F4 to go to windows screen, then you should be able to alt-tab till your heart's content.
#4 - Vain
Over here alt-tabbing works. Worked with NVidia and works with the ATI I got right now.
The only problem is that sometimes the rear-mirrors are messed up after maximizing LFS again.

Vain
Does it only happen in LFS, or at anytime? No viruses or anything (that could I suppose mad alt+tap to something that would make the PC restart)? I think until we get a bit more info no one will be able to help. sorry
#6 - richy
nah only when i alt tab from LFS, it doesnt crash anywhere else...i just assumed it was because the computer didnt like changing video modes.

does shift F4 put the game into windowed mode? ill try using that maybe that will be better for the computer.

sometimes i can alt tab but sometimes it just reboots.
This is down to old GFX drivers, i had the exact same problem myself. I happened to be running 66.76 drivers and LFS really didn't like it. Download the latest GFX drivers for your card and the problem should go away.

However alt-tabbing doesn't work well with LFS's netcode so try keep to shift-f4.
Another thing I thought of is, with Nascar Racing 2003, it would crash when alt-tabbing when I only had DirectX 9.0 installed. I downloaded version 9.0c and it helped with NR2003. So, perhaps check your DirectX version.

I never alt-tab LFS when in full screen. I always shift-F4 to put it into a window mode. Then like I said, you can alt-tab away.
try setting lfs to the same resolution as windows desktop...
mine is happy regardless though.
Quote from Blowtus :try setting lfs to the same resolution as windows desktop...
mine is happy regardless though.

i run windows in 1280 x 1024 but i dont think the game will like it if i try to run that res

and im going to try and get new drivers i got v66.93 (dx is at 9.0c), will see!
Have to agree with everyone here, usually graphics drivers or DirectX versions.

Not sure what graphics card you have, but I have a Gigabyte 6800 and it insists on using the actual Gigabyte drivers, not the Nvidia ones. I have all sorts of problems with the Nvidia ones so make sure you get the drivers your manufacturer intended by checking their site first.
I wish I saw this thread before, I was alt tabbing between LFS and firefox ealier then my computer rebooted itself. It has happened a few times before but never really bugged me (had worse problems), but now I've just noticed it has deleted most of my firefox bookmarks (and no, I'm not on a different profile)...
#13 - J.B.
Application software should never be able to reboot a system. I'm certain it's a hardware/driver issue. Disable automatic reboots in control panel/system/advanced/start and restore and you will probably get a blue screen next time telling you that an error in nvdisp.dll or similar has occured. Uninstall drivers, use drivercleaner and try different drivers. Newest may not be most stable depending on GPU.

Quote from cropsy :but now I've just noticed it has deleted most of my firefox bookmarks

If you are using a recent version of FF they shouldn't be lost.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks
Quote from J.B. :If you are using a recent version of FF they shouldn't be lost.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

:bowdown: Thank you so much!

Quote from J.B. :Application software should never be able to reboot a system. I'm certain it's a hardware/driver issue. Disable automatic reboots in control panel/system/advanced/start and restore and you will probably get a blue screen next time telling you that an error in nvdisp.dll or similar has occured. Uninstall drivers, use drivercleaner and try different drivers. Newest may not be most stable depending on GPU.

I've had quite a few problems with my graphics card drivers, the drivers I have now are the most reliable I have tried, thankfully the only problem I have is it rebooting now and again (plus the occasional red/blue screen flash in lfs), which I can work around.

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG