The online racing simulator
Force Feedback "interference""?
(6 posts, started )
MMkay, last night I was running some practice laps around BL2 in the XFG to familiarize myself. I was running my own little practice server so Joe Blow could join in for fun if he wanted. ANYhow, after about 30 minutes, all of a sudden I hear a loud buzzing sound on my headphones, the green lights on my wheel cease to light, the wheel pulls hard left, and the wheel does not report back to LFS any longer, although the pedals still worked!

There is a fellow next door who operates HAM radio, and around the first offence I heard interference on my speakers also, but not at the same time as the buzzing etc. Is it possible for his antics to mess up up wheel?! Seems bizarre but I know little of RF so..... Otherwise what the hell happened? I had to quit LFS, unplug my wheel, re-plug, restart LFS and it worked for a short time until I got the same silly happenings..... Anyone EVER heard of this before?

EDIT: Important detail left out: This phenomenon happend JUST as I hit "<" to decrease my force feedback, so it must have nothing to do with the interference guy, what was I thinking.... I hit "<" to get a little less feedback and POW, the buzz noise on speakers, noise, no lights, full left force, no response phenomenon! I tried SHIFT-C but that did nothing, it said it reinitialized the controller but nothing happened....

EDIT 2: NOte that the second time it happened I didn't press anything it happened on it's own after a short time in LFS, like maybe 10 seconds on track. Then I broke out in a cold sweat and went to bed

Logitech Momo Racing
WinXP Pro SP2
A64, FX5900, 1GB.....

I hope this goes away on it's own...
That sounds a bit UFO.
Feels that way when it happens!
Cq Dx.. Cq Dx :)
this sounds very much like a damaged cable , check the plug(s) (from pedals/PSU to wheel) as it could be a loose pin here too . The cable may not look damaged but may have been kinked or streched at some point and may have damage to one or more of the tiny cores inside .

AFAIK radiotransmitters cannot interfere with the USB data to or from the wheel .

I hope you find the cause theres nothing more irritating than an intermittent fault .

SD.
#5 - Vain
The graphics are all okay?
I had exactly the same problem, just with freezing graphics. The same strange sound, the same strange FFB. I had to rearrange the power-cords in my PC because the PSU couldn't give enough energy to GFXboard and hdd on one cord. Now everything is gone.
The actual meaning of this is: The problem can seem unrelated and atypical. Try to systematically approach the error. Temporarily remove the soundcard, play LFS without wheel, stress-test the hardware using AIs in singleplayer, etc. etc.

Vain
Quote from SparkyDave :this sounds very much like a damaged cable , check the plug(s) (from pedals/PSU to wheel) as it could be a loose pin here too . The cable may not look damaged but may have been kinked or streched at some point and may have damage to one or more of the tiny cores inside .

AFAIK radiotransmitters cannot interfere with the USB data to or from the wheel .

I hope you find the cause theres nothing more irritating than an intermittent fault .

SD.

Thanks, I'll check it out - it could be the connection from the PSU to the Wheel, but any problems I've had there resulted only in losing FFB on the wheel... In this situation there was still force being applied to the wheel, to turn it all the way left! I thought I lost power when the lights went out on the wheel but I didn't, plus LFS didn't respond to any wheel movements but the pedals still worked... I'm leaning towards LFS since it happened the first time quite literally just as a I pressed the "<" key.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG