The online racing simulator
New folder suggestion: Addons
(11 posts, started )

Poll : Is the Addons folder for LFS needed?

+1, Yes, good idea!
+1, Yes, but in S3 content
-1, No, this idea is rubbish and no need.
0, Yes, but must have better idea
Hello folks.

I know there is have talk about and SUGGESTED already perhaps. But I want to go straight to the point.

Is there possible to do someday a new folder, where you can add:

Test patches
Why?
= Have no need to backup your LFS, but you can just add your new test patch, where you can get it from patch test forum. If you want to delete the test patch, just remove it from addons folder.
Would be needed right now? = Not yet. Then it would be needed, when most of improvements and fixes have done. In that case, if LFS Team would/want to give a Test patch, just put it only to the addons folder. And good thing is, you never have to do a backup from original LFS until you have some problems. Of Course, to be sure, always backup your original LFS.

Graphics addons
Why?= Well, I have seen about lot of talking of LFS graphics and their addons. Why have to do a huge tasks to get new graphic if You would put it just to the addons folder? And no need to be worry about your original LFS graphics.
Would be needed right now? = Well...at this time you can put them just on LFS Main Folder. The LFS can start an .exe file from the Main Folder, so I think maybe in future. However, many of LFS Players want to use new graphics of LFS.

InSim tools
Why? = Many of LFS Servers has a kind of InSim tools for the server, for example: The Pitboard, LFS Points, Ranking System etc... I don't know fully how the InSim works, because I have never tried, but if possible, this seems that the LFS would get an "Integrated InSim System Tools" = IIST, (heh, nvm)
Would be needed right now? = I say yes. but as I said at the text of RED COLOR, I am not sure how they work.

Textures
Why?
= There is many of texture mods, where you can put in your LFS Addon folder, ( www.lfs-database.com ) to see new textures or just test them. And If have some problems, just remove them that folder and still you have an original texture mod.
Would be needed right now? = Yes. This would be a practical thing where you can just test the new textures or you can keep them. For Example: Snow Mod.

Well, those are the mainly tasks what you would usually use, but there is a LOT OF MORE which is possible to put them in Addons Folder.

However, please remember that this is only suggestion about this feature. I am not saying that this version would be the best, but I just can see, that this would be a practical idea for the LFS.

Please, tell your opinions, or maybe a
BETTER IDEA!

I have a poll about this. You can vote, is this needed or is this only rubbish.
+1, Yes, but in S3 content
#3 - Silox
Yes for all, except the InSim systems.

I think InSim systems are systems that make a server unique. Programmers try to create new / original stuff to make their servers attractive. If LFS would introduce this basic InSim problems, the servers who have this applications will become 'normal'.

An InSim app is just a simple app with a config file. It's an external program which connects to a server with an IP, port and Adminpass.

PS.: Headfolder = Main folder
Test patches won't work in an addon folder as they generally modify the LFS.exe file.

[EDIT] I do like the idea of a separate folder for texture mods, though.I have a bat habit of not keeping my texture mods organized and when I install a new patch that overwrites some of them I can never find my modified ones anymore :P
Quote from Silox :Yes for all, except the InSim systems.

I think InSim systems are systems that make a server unique. Programmers try to create new / original stuff to make their servers attractive. If LFS would introduce this basic InSim problems, the servers who have this applications will become 'normal'.

An InSim app is just a simple app with a config file. It's an external program which connects to a server with an IP, port and Adminpass.

PS.: Headfolder = Main folder

=) Roger that
Quote from MAGGOT :Test patches won't work in an addon folder as they generally modify the LFS.exe file.

[EDIT] I do like the idea of a separate folder for texture mods, though.I have a bat habit of not keeping my texture mods organized and when I install a new patch that overwrites some of them I can never find my modified ones anymore :P

Thank you for new idea:

I add the Textures
IMHO no need for that. As LfS isn't installed per se, but only an extracted archive, you can have as many installs as you like, so you just use one original for backup, one for Testpatches and one for textures (and if you're excessive, one for both textures and the testpatch).

The only upside of an addon system would be that the skin folder, which can become humongous, especially if you use high-res skins, would be shared.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :However, please remember that this is only suggestion about this feature. I am not saying that this version would be the best, but I just can see, that this would be a practical idea for the LFS.

None of those folders are actually needed. LFS folder structure is nice and logical as is..

How often do you install graphics add-ons (=textures), how often there are add-ons released? I thought once an add-on is released, you just extract to your dds folder or whatever and go racing If you use LFS for racing that is, it's a different thing if you use LFS for installing add-ons and taking screenshots etc..

Somehow I get the feeling that some suggestions these days are suggested just for the sake of suggesting something, nevermind the actual suggestion
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :There is many of texture mods, where you can put in your LFS Addon folder, to see new textures or just test them. And If have some problems, just remove them that folder and still you have an original texture mod.

The problem here is not really technical, but a question of support.

Currently, the devs are free to change the names and contents of any file in the LFS directory. If someone makes pretty new textures, his efforts may be invalidated by the next LFS patch. Tough luck for him, but he has no grounds to complain.

A facility like you propose implies an obligation for the devs to keep things working the way they do, and I'm not sure they will like that.

However, your idea can also be realised with an external program: a simple application that allows you to install new textures while saving the original ones, so you can restore them later. Two days' work for an experienced Windows programmer.
Calm down with the suggestions.. This is a nice idea for the textures (dds files) but dunno I could live without them
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :(...)
Graphics addons
(...)
Textures

I like those two. But IMO it should not just be about additional folders, rather addon packages which worked more or less the same way as a Firefox extension.

Every package would be an archive with additional files in it and an xml describing its metadata, e.g. the versions of LFS the addon is compatible with (so a new patch would be able to disable certain updates that are no longer compatible).

LFS would then have an additional screen under Options to allow the users to selectively enable/disable the addons.

Then again, modding is currently unsupported, and there are no indications Scawen wants to change that. Maybe in a few years...

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG