The online racing simulator
Feedback Suggestions
(12 posts, started )
Feedback Suggestions
These may have already been suggested, but here's my $0.02.

1) More audible cues as to what the tires are doing. Also, more progression with in the cues. Tires make a distinctive scrubbing sound when pushed and only squeal when really taxed.

2) More track surface feedback through FF. Since there is no 'seat of the pants' feedback in computer simulations, high resolution FF becomes even more important to the overall experience. An example is when going across bumps in the track, the visual cues are definitely there, but the FF (at least in my case, Logitech Momo) did nothing.

3) This only really applies to open wheel cars, but visual cues on the tires themselves as to their condition. (A minor suggestion)
#2 - Vain
1. Yep, the same as in LFS. It's great how you can hear the reaction of the tyres from slightly scrubbing to squealing when you overdo it.
2. Yep, I love the surface-feedback in LFS. Just feels great! I always know what the car is doing, which forces apply to the car and what the car is going to do. At least this is so with my Logitech MOMO Racing.
3. Now I saw a lot of tyres, but I never noticed slicks change their appearance under load or whatever. Especially not while driving 100mph .

It takes a lot of time to get used to the subtle effects in LFS. That is because the effects are dynamically calculated which means they aren't overdone. You can of course always increase the FF-strenght (which I prefer, because I never drove a racing vehicle with aided steering and thus I feel strange when I can steer a car with one hand).

Vain
#3 - ajp71
Quote from Vain :
3. Now I saw a lot of tyres, but I never noticed slicks change their appearance under load or whatever. Especially not while driving 100mph .

Slicks do change apperance from wear but you'll only actually be able to see this when the car is stationary or locked up, neither ideal situations.
#4 - Vain
You mean the slight melting and the changes of texture when the tyre picks up small pieces of rubber on the road?
Well, that'd be something I call "minor" then.

Vain
Quote from ajp71 :Slicks do change apperance from wear but you'll only actually be able to see this when the car is stationary or locked up, neither ideal situations.

Ever watch an F1 race? You can definitely see tire wear while car is at speed. During in-car-camera shots, pay close attention to the front wheels later in the race. You can see wear bands. This doesn't apply so much in race series' where tire changes are allowed.

But I know I'm hard on tires in LFS. In a 10 lap race, the car will get really squirrely at about 8 laps. Maybe visual wear cues are something other drivers would like to have. Maybe not. Just a suggestion.
Quote from Vain :1. Yep, the same as in LFS. It's great how you can hear the reaction of the tyres from slightly scrubbing to squealing when you overdo it.
2. Yep, I love the surface-feedback in LFS. Just feels great! I always know what the car is doing, which forces apply to the car and what the car is going to do. At least this is so with my Logitech MOMO Racing.

It takes a lot of time to get used to the subtle effects in LFS. That is because the effects are dynamically calculated which means they aren't overdone. You can of course always increase the FF-strenght (which I prefer, because I never drove a racing vehicle with aided steering and thus I feel strange when I can steer a car with one hand).

Vain

Like I've said before. My experience is different. I think there is less feedback in LFS than GTR. Could be a settins issue, but I basically used the defaults in both games. From a marketing and sales standpoint, initial experience is incredibly important. I hear a lot about "well, just change your settings." That doesn't help sell games, which is what LFS needs to keep doing so that they can finance additional improvements, upgrades, and enhancements. A new customer needs to have an incredible experience right off the bat. Having to jack with settings for 3 hours just to get a good experience does not a happy customer make.
Yes but F1 tires have those grooves, so you can see it there. We got real slicks. But some visual tricks could be added like dirt and such, but it isnt high priority.
I like watching the surface of the tyres change colour in F1 as the loads change on them. I agree you can't really 'see' wear unless you have grooves, which we don't in LFS.

However, I would like, for the 'uber-realism' mode I keep harping on about to only see tyre wear and temperatures in the garage. So there would be no F9 overaly. I'd also see the F10 overlay disappear, but have the car body and rear wheels visible in the rear view mirror, so the only way of checking for damage would be look. In this mode external views would also be disabled.

As for tyre noise, I think LFS has good the balance right. Slicks simple don't squeal unless you're heading for the scene of the accident, but on a computer you need one or two unrealistic things like this to overcome the lack of feel a sim has to have.

But I bet you we'll see stuff like this before LFS is finished, so I'm not worried...
Quote from Spinjack :Like I've said before. My experience is different. I think there is less feedback in LFS than GTR. Could be a settins issue, but I basically used the defaults in both games. From a marketing and sales standpoint, initial experience is incredibly important. I hear a lot about "well, just change your settings." That doesn't help sell games, which is what LFS needs to keep doing so that they can finance additional improvements, upgrades, and enhancements. A new customer needs to have an incredible experience right off the bat. Having to jack with settings for 3 hours just to get a good experience does not a happy customer make.

So have you tried the proper FF settings for LFS? In LFS you don't need (well, you can't because there is only one FF slider option) to screw around with the force feedback settings. But all you need to do is put "Damper Strength" and "Spring Strength" to 0% in the Logitech Profiler. And then give some time to get used to it. I know it feels dull in the beginning but you will find out that GTR/GTL/rFactor's canned feedback effects actually sucks.

And because we are talking about sims, there will always be screwing around with the settings and familiarizing yourself with the game's driving feel, more than any other game genre. It's kinda initial too because the devs can't make a default settings that suits for everyone.
#10 - Vain
Quote from Spinjack :Like I've said before. My experience is different.

Actually I only posted the reply above because of this personal difference. I also used the default settings until recently and I was happy with it. And my latest changes didn't change anything (at least nothing I really noticed yet).
The perception is a lot about your personal preference. I used the default settings, learned from them and now I'm in the state that I know which wheel is going to loose grip soon without looking at the monitor. LFS definitely gives you feedback. To be honest I actually became a real LFS-FF-fanboy. It just feels most natural to me. It may feel unnormal because you drove a different sim before. It will always take time to switch between sims.

So all I really wanted to say in a nutshell:
Take your time. The feedback may be in a form you didn't expect from your sim-driving-experience, but it's there.

Vain
@Spinjack
Yes, the FF in LFS is very subtle, and when you first compare it to other sims it feels very undetailed because so many effects seem to be missing. Well, that is the point of LFS, it has no effects at all. While in an ISI sim the FF is basically a series of pre-programmed effects (that seem to be exxagerated for easier noticing IMO) the FF in LFS is a by-product of the suspension physics.

When you feel the rumble going over a kerb in LFS, it's not because Scawen said "kerb = activate rumble", but simply because the forces acting on the front wheel generate the rumble. Wheel going light when you floor it in an FWD? The same.
Good points, all. Not trying to stir up controversy. Just some thoughts.

I'll change the Logitech settings to find out the difference. It'll be a week before I can race again (travelling), so we'll see what we see next week.

Feedback Suggestions
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG