The online racing simulator
Kawasaki withdraw from MotoGP
(20 posts, started )
Dark day for motorcycle racing, it's been coming for a while, but today Kawasaki confirm there withdrawl from MotoGP.

At least we won't have to watch Melandri drag his ass round the track for another year.

Rumours are rife that Kawasaki may get fined 20 million euros for this withdrawl, also, Dorna rules currently have the minimum grid number at more than the confirmed entries, so unless someone picks up the Kawasaki grid postions, Dorna will have to modify the rules.
Not such a big loss for MotoGP imo, they would do better aiming for SBK.
Regardless of there successes (or lack of), it's still a HUGE player to lose, and as for their WSBK campagin's, again, their successes have been pretty woefull, and I am sure I had heard that PSG-1 wouldn't be running Kawasaki's this year anyway?.

It looks like they are going to concentrate on WSS this year.
I'd like to see Melandri get a ride for '09 but I can't see any privateer or customer outfit wanting to take on the Kawasaki team. I expect the nice sum the riders will receive from Kawasaki could be a nice pursuader, maybe one of the existing customer teams running Hondas would run a 2nd or 3rd bike given the right incentive. Hopefully motoGP themselves will do something, just to keep the numbers up. If people stop watching it there'll be real problems.
#5 - garph
Been watching this unfold for the last few weeks, even tho they weren't doing so well it's a big loss for MotoGP. There aren't many bikes as it is and loosing a manufacterer is a massive blow.
Quote from FlyeThemoon :Bad Days for Japanese motorsports concerns

Honda gonna out F1

now Kakasaki from MotoGP

Kakasaki?

Well, considering all said in former posts, a fitting name, I must say.
hmm the MotoGP(1) field was tiny enough with 19 racers... does MotoGP become a new ChampCarWorldSeries? Having to fight to get enough bikes together to statisfy everyone? hmm...
#8 - MR_B
Quote from findnemo :Surprised no one mentioned Subaru withdrawing from WRC.......

ahh yes them too! Don't worry, things will get better one day.
In a strange twist, Kawasaki are currently testing their 2009 ZX-RR at Eastern Creek in Australia
Well, there is still going to be Kawasakis on the grid, it's just that the factory team is out.
It's the factory team that are testing.......
It will most likely be the same lot who have been testing it throughout it's development.

Quote :Although Kawasaki have announced the withdrawal of their factory team from this year´s World Championship, the 2009 Ninja ZX-RR will be available for use by a private team with relevant negotiations still being undertaken.

Ketchup
Be interesting to see how this pans out, considering Dorna have said Kawasaki are in breach of contract by pulling out of the 09 season.
Quote from danowat :Dark day for motorcycle racing, it's been coming for a while, but today Kawasaki confirm there withdrawl from MotoGP.

At least we won't have to watch Melandri drag his ass round the track for another year.

Rumours are rife that Kawasaki may get fined 20 million euros for this withdrawl, also, Dorna rules currently have the minimum grid number at more than the confirmed entries, so unless someone picks up the Kawasaki grid postions, Dorna will have to modify the rules.

Yeah, it's quite saddening. However, Kawasaki never really took to the road-racing scene all that well, with somewhat mediocore results in BSB, WSB and MotoGP. Best Kawasaki "team" I remember was the mid-pack Hawk Kawasaki a couple of years back. No idea what happened to them, though.
Just a little bump.

It has been confirmed today that a single rider (Marco Melandri) will ride for Kawasaki this year.
Quote from danowat :Just a little bump.

It has been confirmed today that a single rider (Marco Melandri) will ride for Kawasaki this year.

confusing
Melandri is a decent rider, good luck to him.
Some people have rough periods, I've seen lots of good riding from Melandri over the last few years.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG