The online racing simulator
iRacing - Dale Earnhardt Jr
(46 posts, started )
Quote from NightShift :OTOH if I understand it correctly, the guy you're talking about gets his dough for promoting iRacing

Is that true? Wouldn't surprise though. I'm wondering is there some kind of special offer for real drivers? I'm not talking about celebrity scale irl drivers. I mean some kind of "pay this amount of money and you get everything at once". When even sim gamers have hard time adopting to the time consuming iRacing system... why would some professional driver spend hours and hours driving Solstice on tracks that he will never race for real.
Quote from deggis :Is that true? Wouldn't surprise though. I'm wondering is there some kind of special offer for real drivers? I'm not talking about celebrity scale irl drivers. I mean some kind of "pay this amount of money and you get everything at once". When even sim gamers have hard time adopting to the time consuming iRacing system... why would some professional driver spend hours and hours driving Solstice on tracks that he will never race for real.

I have yet to hear Dale Jr. ever making advertising for iRacing publicly. Same goes for when he played NR03 and even had his own Online League for years with other Cup drivers using NR03, he didnt so because I guess he was or is still under contract with EA Sports and there Games. He was on the cover for EA Sports games and recommends the games from them. But I think his EA Sports support is pure marketing, he spends hours every day in iRacing.

You ask why would any real driver spend hours in iRacing, maybe just ...to have fun? Why is Justin Wilson, AJ Allmendinger in iRacing. Why is Villeneuve in iRacing, organised races with rFactor in his own official forum, or played alot of GP2 back in the day, or Montoya commented that from all racing games he likes Grand Prix Legends best, even though he never driven the cars nor the tracks, because its fun to race and to compete and what we do on the computer is also Racing, the cars and tracks are virtual, but the Racing is real.
Quote from George Kuyumji :I have yet to hear Dale Jr. ever making advertising for iRacing publicly.

I'm not sure what you have in mind, the guy's name is stamped all over the 'net ever before since the game was actually released. If you google a bit you will find dozens of pieces of news where he mentions or talks extensively about iRacing, and from what I read about iRacing, half the people with an account has actually raced against him.

Quote from George Kuyumji :You ask why would any real driver spend hours in iRacing, maybe just ...to have fun?

Now a person who has been called 'the most popular NASCAR driver', which if I'm correct, is actually the best known motorsport in USA, would really talk about or race incessantly a sim, only for fun?

Or if you like this better, are we all born yesterday?

If the guy hasn't some kind of deal with iRacing, then he is the only famous racer in the world who has nothing better in his life to do than free promotion.

And just to make this clear, people with the faintest trace of a popularity won't even do charity for free, much less spend their image on a business without having something in exchange.

PS: I'm still wondering how iRacing constitutes "General Racing Talk" since no real car is involved...
Quote from NightShift :I'm not sure what you have in mind, the guy's name is stamped all over the 'net ever before since the game was actually released. If you google a bit you will find dozens of pieces of news where he mentions or talks extensively about iRacing, and from what I read about iRacing, half the people with an account has actually raced against him.

Now a person who has been called 'the most popular NASCAR driver', which if I'm correct, is actually the best known motorsport in USA, would really talk about or race incessantly a sim, only for fun?

Or if you like this better, are we all born yesterday?

If the guy hasn't some kind of deal with iRacing, then he is the only famous racer in the world who has nothing better in his life to do than free promotion.

And just to make this clear, people with the faintest trace of a popularity won't even do charity for free, much less spend their image on a business without having something in exchange.

PS: I'm still wondering how iRacing constitutes "General Racing Talk" since no real car is involved...

i think he wouldn't spend so much time in iRacing if he didn't do it for fun

PS:
General Racing Talk (8 Viewing)
Discuss anything related to racing here

it doens't say that it has to be real racing
Thank you for partecipating in this thread, as a reward you can choose among the following as a free tag to be added to your sig:

[_] "Yes, I'm born yesterday and believe in Santa, too"
[_] "My soul is that of a delicate iRacing fanboy"
[_] "I can quote properly when I focus, of course"
As noted above, he (and his friends/teammates) used to play Nascar Racing 2003 for years and years, without any kind of official endorsement. Given that iRacing is in many ways NR2003's relative, it's not surprising that he'd continue to race it for fun.
Dale Jr got involved with the iRacing team long before they decided to make any deals with him on promotion. He's written guides, talks casually to people before and after races, posts regularly on the forums and generally seems like a nice down-to-earth guy. In an interview he mentioned that after (real) races he usually comes home at 1-3am, but still has enough adrenaline in him to prevent him from sleeping for a while, so he logs into iRacing and races the 'commoners'.

As said before in the thread, I really don't think he would spend this much time on iRacing without drawing some sort of fun out of it; he simply does too much to not consider it a sort of hobby.
#35 - th84
He's been doing it since 1997. He started because he needed practice for a NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, so a few weeks before he decided he would try to do some practice on his PC. The game he used was Nascar Racing 2, which was made by Papyrus (aka Sierra at the time).

Funny how some people think it's just a joke.
Quote from lizardfolk :Would be cool if name professional race car drivers gave LFS the same attention as iRacing.

a mexican guy who raced in nascar (USA) used lfs...
Quote from Jertje :In an interview he mentioned that after (real) races he usually comes home at 1-3am, but still has enough adrenaline in him to prevent him from sleeping for a while, so he logs into iRacing and ...

... by the time the next race is ready to start all the adrenaline is long gone?
Quote from [plidex] mateo :PS:
General Racing Talk (8 Viewing)
Discuss anything related to racing here

it doens't say that it has to be real racing

Playing a computer game is gaming. The long 100+ page iRacing thread was here too originally but it was then moved to the Off Topic section, when mods did some re-organizing and apparently it was a message that gaming (other than LFS) related threads should be in Off Topic. Maybe this section should be renamed to General Motorsport Talk, because looks like it keeps confusing people...
Quote from George Kuyumji :I have yet to hear Dale Jr. ever making advertising for iRacing publicly. Same goes for when he played NR03 and even had his own Online League for years with other Cup drivers using NR03, he didnt so because I guess he was or is still under contract with EA Sports and there Games. He was on the cover for EA Sports games and recommends the games from them. But I think his EA Sports support is pure marketing, he spends hours every day in iRacing.

I know that. To clarify, if my post was confusing, marketing deal was a genuine question and the rest was another subject, should have separated them to paragraphs...

Quote :You ask why would any real driver spend hours in iRacing, maybe just ...to have fun? Why is Justin Wilson, AJ Allmendinger in iRacing. Why is Villeneuve in iRacing, organised races with rFactor in his own official forum, or played alot of GP2 back in the day, or Montoya commented that from all racing games he likes Grand Prix Legends best, even though he never driven the cars nor the tracks, because its fun to race and to compete and what we do on the computer is also Racing, the cars and tracks are virtual, but the Racing is real.

...so I was wondering if iRacing sell some kind of special offers for real drivers (by request, since not on the website), with a fixed pricing and getting all/more tracks and cars at once. Or even special "offline" versions. Something like this would make sense for real drivers, who are not top Nascar drivers or ex-F1 drivers but not amateur drivers either, who possibly have never heard of sim racing and who are not willing to allocate so much time for the online system when they only would like to practice some particular tracks - not just for fun.
Quote from th84 :Why is it so hard to believe that he does this stuff for fun?

No, no, you got it all wrong. I'm not here assuming to know what's going on in the head of a person who's sure nice, down to earth and has even raced with half the iRacers already if web boards are to be believed, and also a guy whose existence I've never suspected about, until iRacing popped up on the radar (ok ok my fault)

What it's hard to believe is that he does all that stuff for fun ONLY.

These days if you have any kind public image, good, bad, niche, whatever it is - it has an economic value and every time you're not turning that into a profit, you're losing money.

Certainly iRacing isn't set out to save hungry, traumatized children in developing countries, it's more like recouping the mythological 22 mln bucks that would have been poured in the thing which, dare anyone not call it a game, it's REAL, it even fits inside General Racing Talk unlike all of the other sims around, but back to the point...

Well, if he does that for free, the least I can say he's mismanaged
Quote from lizardfolk :Completely irrelevant. I suppose the Singapore GP is more exciting because it has more turns than the Canadian GP? LOL

What are you on about? We're not comparing F1 circuits here. Oval racing is inherently boring, especially a tight oval as was shown in the vid.
There is absolutely no variation in the racing during an oval race its just 'turn left accelerate lift/brake turn left accelerate' over & over.
(by the time you've got in anyones slipstream you'll be braking for the next boring repetitive corner)

Your argument has obsolutely no merit at all & as such is 'Completely irrelevant' to the topic.
Quote from anttt69 :What are you on about? We're not comparing F1 circuits here. Oval racing is inherently boring, especially a tight oval as was shown in the vid.
There is absolutely no variation in the racing during an oval race its just 'turn left accelerate lift/brake turn left accelerate' over & over.
(by the time you've got in anyones slipstream you'll be braking for the next boring repetitive corner

Increase car competition should completely overshadow that fact. Might do for some might not for others. Don't downplay or ignore that just because it doesn't for u. Especially since in a short oval the competition for a decent sized field is constant side by side rush hour traffic racing
My opinion on the matter, after a few nice and not so nice oval races in iRacing, is the following:

Driving on ovals is as boring as it gets. Racing on them in close competition however, is (sometimes very!) exiting, although very different from circuit racing.

There's no genuine challenge in finding your marks and being reasonably fast on an oval, the 'fun' comes in when you're doing it for 30+ minutes straight constantly side-by-side. Having said that, I draw a lot of pleasure in learning a track and finding personal improvements after hours of practice and reflection; so the whole oval racing doesn't appeal to me as much.

I wouldn't instantly dismiss it as 'boring' anymore though, although admittedly I do still find it hideously boring to watch.
Quote from anttt69 :What are you on about? We're not comparing F1 circuits here. Oval racing is inherently boring, especially a tight oval as was shown in the vid.
(by the time you've got in anyones slipstream you'll be braking for the next boring repetitive corner)

Your argument has obsolutely no merit at all & as such is 'Completely irrelevant' to the topic.

Someone who claims that oval racing is "inherently boring" has no room to say someone else's argument has "obsolutely" no merit.

Quote from Jertje :My opinion on the matter, after a few nice and not so nice oval races in iRacing, is the following:

Driving on ovals is as boring as it gets. Racing on them in close competition however, is (sometimes very!) exiting, although very different from circuit racing.

There's no genuine challenge in finding your marks and being reasonably fast on an oval, the 'fun' comes in when you're doing it for 30+ minutes straight constantly side-by-side. Having said that, I draw a lot of pleasure in learning a track and finding personal improvements after hours of practice and reflection; so the whole oval racing doesn't appeal to me as much.

I wouldn't instantly dismiss it as 'boring' anymore though, although admittedly I do still find it hideously boring to watch.

thank you, finally a circuit fan who is not self rightiously biased. You personally find it boring but u admit there is reason for others of different preference to enjoy it and u respect others for their different taste. you might learn something from this guy anttt

iRacing - Dale Earnhardt Jr
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG