The online racing simulator
DFS - Old link refuses to die
(11 posts, started )
DFS - Old link refuses to die [solved]
On one of our windows 2003 server clusters we're running a load of DFS domain shares setup, with a replication setup (ring) between each root node, etc. We had a number of links which are now obsolete and all have gone except one which fails to just die. Its labelled not as the actual share but as a NTFRS folder. Its not actually accessible, and cannot be deleted either from the DFS itself, or any root node.

Any ideas (fordie? / Tux? )?

Edit: none of the servers have been rebooted, and I've even gone as far as removing the DFS setup completely and starting from scratch using the same folders. Even when not actually in a DFS system I am unable to remove the directories locally.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the folders are not junctions, but seem to link to a network location in a similar fashion to (unix style symlinks|dfs junctions).
Nevermind. I solved the problem. It seems that they were DFS junctions, but slightly screwed. After a couple of attempts with the linkd command they left Woohoo!
TAA: can i ask if you have any microsoft training? (certified engineer/administrator or something) as i will be starting some sort of training soon (yep, im a n00b )
To be totally honest, none at all. I'm very lucky to be employed without having any formal microsoft, LPI, or RedHat certification. I've taught myself most things, and just played and broken computers and servers since about the age of 6/7. If I had the choice I'd be doing a lot more of this stuff on linux, but as I dont, ho hum. System administrator / support wasnt my initial plan for life, but it seems to be going that way at the moment.

I am being put on some certification courses / exams by the company, however I'm very ambivilent about certification, particularly microsoft certification, which is why I've never done any. A lot of it is total bollocks, and the previous / practise Microsoft exams I've seen are very broad and have a large scope. For instance one about managing windows 2003 servers includes information on client side management of outlook (client side rules to be exact) - which seems a bit out of place to me and most people I've spoken to. On the other hand LPI / Redhat certification is more focused.

Edit: If anyone knows of a decent LPI centre, in the southwest of the UK, then please let me know. All the ones I've spoken to seem to know bugger all about it.
hmm, seems we got our jobs the same way then ill have to bug them about getting me another test server to destroy
Something I will recommend, is getting ahold of MS Virtual Server 2005. Its AWESOME for testing and playing with software. Its very fast for windows, and reasonable for linux, solaris and other operating systems. All you need is a reasonable speed server / pc with a fat wedge of RAM That way you can play all you like without having to destroy a box, plus if you need to restore an hard disk image, all you need to do is copy and paste a new copy of a "clean vhd" over
ive been using VPC 2004 a bit, but im too lazy to sit in front of the host node and connecting to the it with remote desktop when VPC is loaded is not a nice experience
This is where Virtual Server is cool. It basically adds itself into IIS and you can access it all via the intarweb (unfortunately it uses ActiveX, but hey it works). Much better than VPC2004
ho hum! i will have to look through our msdn dvds tomorrow
finally got around to trying out virtual server and its pretty damn good. now all i have to do is convince the directors to let me go wild with the credit card!
Ah just mention some stuff about "unit testing", "decreased overall cost of ownership", "staying ahead of the game" and you'll soon get lots of cash rolling your way I may not be a salesman, but I'm learning the gift of the bullshit

DFS - Old link refuses to die
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG