The online racing simulator
42" TV Deals (UK)
(51 posts, started )
42" TV Deals (UK)
Was looking to pick up a bargain in the sales , but nothing jumping out at me.
£100 off here and there ,but no substantial discount

Anyone seen any good deals while browsing ?
My Dad just picked up a Lg 37inch 1080p hd telly from Scottish power couple months ago for £399 was ment to be £600-£700 maybe worth trying there website m8 they might have a 42inch on sale you never know
I got this just over a year ago and it's been great. It's only 720p1080i but it's been great for picture quality on the 360 and PS3 and has a 178 degree viewing angle so it's great for the entire living room. And a response time of about 3ms works for me.

They do a 42" one as well (which came out right after I got mine!), but it's also just 720p/1080i.

There's a full-HD 42" Hyundai one that has some nice features but is obviously a bit more expensive.
42" with such a 'small' resolution? Won't that be ugly?
Quote from Bose321 :42" with such a 'small' resolution? Won't that be ugly?

Depends on how far you sit from your TV and how good your eyes are. Even at 42" you are not going to be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 unless you sit closer than 8.5ft (2.6m), you simply cant resolve the difference with your eyes, (and that is at the limit of possible human resolution - most people dont have anywhere near that good eyesite).

There is a lot of crap talked about the need for 1080 but for many people the resolution just isn't required for the size of TV they intend to get and where they intend to view it from.

On top of which there are so many other factors that affect the picture quality apart from resolution that there are actually many 1080 TVs out there that look worse than 720 ones, (although 720 TVs are getting pretty hard to find these days).

Take a look at these:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/0105viewvrez/
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php
http://www.dtvforum.info/index ... ic=9241&hl=resolution

Look below, pick a screen size and note how close you need to be to a 720 screen (dotted purple) in order to get max detail then look at how close you need to be to a 1080 screen of the same size to get max detail. The distance in between is where a 1080 will be better than a 720 but only by an amount that is relative to how close you are to the "max detail" line for 1080. eg if you sit 8.5ft away from a 42" screen you're just not going to see the difference despite you actually being able to see "better" than 720 at that distance.

Quote from Turbo Dad :Was looking to pick up a bargain in the sales , but nothing jumping out at me.
£100 off here and there ,but no substantial discount

Anyone seen any good deals while browsing ?

Depends, what do you call a good deal? absolute cheapest? or best price for the best TV at that size? Also, you looking for LCD or Plasma (personally I'd go Plasma).
It all makes sense. The second article there says it best.

Assuming constant resolution:
Too close or too big means pixellation. Too far or too small means loss of detail.

That there should be the be-all and end-all of the entire debate. Logic once again rules the day

I prefer LCD over plasma. Image quality may be marginally lower, but probably not a real issue in newer sets.
LCDs are thinner, lighter and more energy efficient.
It used to be that you needed a Plasma for wide viewing angles, but as I said in my first reply, my TV has 178 degrees and it's LCD.
GO FOR LG
We just got a 47" LG HD scarlet, and omg it's the best TV ever, far better than the Samsung 32" HD one we have...
Very good tv, was about £800 I think. and it's easy to use and very clear to play a Ps3 on
#10 - Jakg
LG aren't exactly amazing tbh....

Kuro ftw (although how you'll afford one feck knows)
I recently picked up an older model 32" Sony TV for £325.

Looks nice on PC and PS3.

Looks a bit silly in my room though:

sorry, but LG are the best....
All TVs are made in LG or Samsung factories anyway... just rebranded.
Just remember you can ALWAYS bargain the sales person in the shop down on a TV. I've recently (November) bought a TV and every shop I went into I offered them 20% less than what they had marked down. 5 out of 6 of them agreed, some of them I reckon would even have gone lower.

I ended up going for a 42" Philips Full HD 1080p for £650. Great TV and well worth the money imo. The sound is amazing off it too!

P.S. Yes i'm from Ireland but i bought it in the UK (Couldn't ignore the lovely exchange rate with the Euro!!)
I'll buy a new TV when there's something I want to watch.

I have never bought a TV - I've always got someone else's old one.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :sorry, but LG are the best....

:X

Pro-Tip - Google Pioneer Kuro, and look at any decent review of an LG TV.
Quote from harjun :sorry, but LG are the best....

I do not agree.
I use a cheap version of a 42 full HD screen, it's like half of normal prices (costed around 8600 nok almost a year ago) here in Norway, still it gives better picture than my mums telly, witch also is a FULL HD tv from LG, and costed over 15 000 nok!!

Both tellys are LCD, but seriously, half the price and better picture? I am not lying, this is the truth. I think the reason why it's so cheap is because it's absolutely stripped for extra features and extra inputs, still my best buy ever, and I'm much happier that I got this telly, witch is better and cheaper than LG.

Having a fancy brand mark doesn't nessesary means it better, tho it in most cases do.
I dont have a TV.

My idea of a night absorbing mindless rubbish is to read these forums. Otherwise I do something creative or play online games which are at least interactive.
I suggest finding the cheapest 42"-40" 1080p 120hz LCD. Dont bother with 720p at that size.

The AVS forums would be a good place to ask
Quote from harjun :

Rubbish, pure and simple.
well plasmas are crap, they run out after a while, and cost to replace the bulb.
LCDs these day can be seen from any angle, so i don't know what you're on about.
And yes, all LCD tvs are made in the same old factories no matter what the make..

Get your facts right.
Quote from harjun :well plasmas are crap, they run out after a while, and cost to replace the bulb.
LCDs these day can be seen from any angle, so i don't know what you're on about.
And yes, all LCD tvs are made in the same old factories no matter what the make..

Get your facts right.

Oh I have my facts ok. Seems obvious that you don't.

You never actually specified LCD TVs, you said ALL TVs. Which makes your fact not a fact at all.

As for Plasmas being crap, keep believing it if it makes you feel happy. Empirical measurements against broadcast and film industry standards say otherwise, but don't let facts get in the way of your bias.
Quote from harjun :well plasmas are crap, they run out after a while, and cost to replace the bulb.

Get your facts right.

LG's pretty much suck at making anything, whether it be TV's or phones. Yes, plasma's run out, but it takes years for them to do so. I've had mine for 4 years now, and it has'nt needed charging yet. Where's your proof that all LCD's are made in the same factory? I seriously doubt they are, it would be unlogical.
Wow , great stuff ,loads to think about and I was just just looking for a bargain !

Was waiting for ages till I could afford a very good TV , but that's not happening yet.So thought I could spend £500 and get 42" , which could then be moved later to another room when funds prevailed.

Decided on 1080p (PC/PS3/etc) but best I could find

LG 42LG5010 42" lcd £600
Toshiba 42XV555DB 42" lcd £600
Philips 42PFL5603D lcd £680 5yr Guarantee
Toshiba 42XV553DB 42" lcd £600

So started looking at larger size ,as they are not that much more expensive.:ashamed:

Samsung LE46A556P series 5 46" lcd £716
Samsung LE46A559P 46" lcd £860
LG 47LG5010 47" lcd £800
Samsung PS50A556S 50" plasma £850
Panasonic TH46PZ8B 46" 100hz lcd £880
Sony KDL46V4000 46" lcd £ 900

So it looks like a need £600 min anyway , is another hundred or two worth it ?
If I'm spending £600 what an another 20/30% !!
Here I go again ,Always the same , just cant stop.....

Quote from Dajmin :
I prefer LCD over plasma. Image quality may be marginally lower, but probably not a real issue in newer sets.
LCDs are thinner, lighter and more energy efficient.
It used to be that you needed a Plasma for wide viewing angles, but as I said in my first reply, my TV has 178 degrees and it's LCD.

Each to their own really, the choice between LCD and Plasma really comes down to what size you're going to get, (Can't get plasmas under 37" anyway), and what you intend to use it for and the environment you'll have it in. Personaly I love films, and I watch them in a relatively low light environment and it's placement dictates a max of 37". So I went for a plasma as IMO, (and empirical testing shows), LCDs just didn't have black enough blacks, dark scenes always looked dark grey at best on all the LCDs I saw, (and that was in a bright shop environment!). In fact, I think even the blacks on plasmas aren't that great if you want to watch a film in a very low light level. But on the flip side if you prefer gaming/sports or have the lights on or in daylight, then LCDs extra brightness is a strength and you wouldn't ever notice their poor black performance.

42" TV Deals (UK)
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG