The online racing simulator
Paying for quality servers. Would this idea work?
I've recently had this idea. Would anybody be willing to pay a small monthly amount (2 GPB for example) for a high quality server? With that I mean:

1) A server that has an admin present at every certain time (let's say every work day 15:00-22:00) and access is available only for paying members.

2) Out of that time period, the server is not moderated, but available to all public.

3) The money will be used to pay for admin's time and server "maintenance".
3.1) Admin's time doesn't mean a full-time job, but rather a small compensation. Maybe instead of a monthly "pocket money" for the admin, an S2 voucher would be more suitable. Who wouldn't want to get paid for playing LFS?

4) Personae non gratae will be banned for some time (judging by the severity of their bad behavior). This will be a much bigger motivation for them since they've already paid for the month ahead. (Last day of the month = demolition derby )

5) Free access and cookies could be won in competitions.

6) Every day could be different, for example friday evenings could be short fastpaced races (to blow off some steam after a long week) and mondays could be endurance races for example.

The rest is left for you to discuss.

...and please tell me that I have spent 30 minutes of my life typing this only to "use the search button"
Quote from breadfan :I've recently had this idea. Would anybody be willing to pay a small monthly amount (2 GPB for example) for a high quality server? With that I mean:

If this was set up with different racing styles for each different server, a monthly payment to get access to the HQ Serv System and 2 or 3 basic servers, and finally a token for each of the advanced server...

voilà you would have created iLiveForSpeed
Maybe this would work for people who are not in a team (but a lot are).

For me it's like this:
When I want to race/practice/whatever a specific car/track combo then I use our own Teamserver. After a while usually some people I know come and race with me or us.
If there are people that don't behave, then I or one of our Team usually kicks/bans them.

So in other words I don't have the need for something like you suggested and I wouldn't pay for an admined server (or like you wrote "high quality" server) as our team got it's own.

And if I/we don't race there then there is CTRA and leagues.
#4 - CSU1
...why not just place new advertisement space around each track, that way drivers don't need to pay for the use of a good service(that; not knowing about what deals Scavier have already signed off on)

...you'd have to agree, If there is some way Scavier could put for example one of those signs like they do on football pitches around they must be loosing out on an enormous amount of dough every day...

(I know i'm being lazy here LFSW could tell me this)
Does anyone know off the top of their head how many people race LFS servers every day, and of those how many change to other servers and how many stay static?

I remember I had a suggestion similar to this in here and there was also talk of LFS would have to download these ad's meaning more work or something.

...my point is, Scavier needs sponsors, not as in the sell shares too type, just for ads for more money for the development beit if it means if it;s only a small amount...

every little helps - this would help both partys.

2c
Quote from BBO@BSR :Maybe this would work for people who are not in a team (but a lot are).

For me it's like this:
When I want to race/practice/whatever a specific car/track combo then I use our own Teamserver. After a while usually some people I know come and race with me or us.
If there are people that don't behave, then I or one of our Team usually kicks/bans them.

So in other words I don't have the need for something like you suggested and I wouldn't pay for an admined server (or like you wrote "high quality" server) as our team got it's own.

And if I/we don't race there then there is CTRA and leagues.

I am not in a team and never have been, but what you said makes sense and makes my idea somewhat pointless.
The reason why I have started this thread is that I am sometimes getting frustrated by the uncertainty of finding good online races. You can never be sure that the server you join isn't full of crashers (and the other bad kind). I just wanted to find a solution to my problem. Maybe I should join a team, but I am too much of a casual racer for that kind of commitment.
If it works, great; I'd never pay for server access though.
Quote from Lateralus :I'd never pay for server access though.

I'd certainly agree if it was only one server, as it would almost certainly not be running a combo I wanted. To be attractive, the fee would have to cover a range of servers, that always ran different things.
Quote from breadfan :I've recently had this idea. Would anybody be willing to pay a small monthly amount (2 GPB for example) for a high quality server? With that I mean:

1) A server that has an admin present at every certain time (let's say every work day 15:00-22:00) and access is available only for paying members.

2) Out of that time period, the server is not moderated, but available to all public.

3) The money will be used to pay for admin's time and server "maintenance".
3.1) Admin's time doesn't mean a full-time job, but rather a small compensation. Maybe instead of a monthly "pocket money" for the admin, an S2 voucher would be more suitable. Who wouldn't want to get paid for playing LFS?

4) Personae non gratae will be banned for some time (judging by the severity of their bad behavior). This will be a much bigger motivation for them since they've already paid for the month ahead. (Last day of the month = demolition derby )

5) Free access and cookies could be won in competitions.

6) Every day could be different, for example friday evenings could be short fastpaced races (to blow off some steam after a long week) and mondays could be endurance races for example.

The rest is left for you to discuss.

...and please tell me that I have spent 30 minutes of my life typing this only to "use the search button"

I want espacially point 6, but i cant pay, internet paying is a nono for me (just that i got s2 through, but not more^^)
Quote from breadfan :-snip-

No thanks. I pay for the game and would only expect to pay for things such as updates and hi-res skins.

I'm not for paying to play, tyvm.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG