The online racing simulator
Rap Music, maybe you don't hate it so much
(162 posts, started )
I just posted this to a musicians forum, bear in mind I'm a musician who's spent the last 20 years learning to play various instruments, mostly bass, then drums, then guitar. I thought maybe this thread might get some interesting responses here too:

Note: I really would prefer that people read this post and hopefully listen to some tunes before responding. I'm not talking about 50cent records or Lil Wayne records:

I know a lot of rockers and old people (hell I'm 34, that makes me old people) and they're always telling me how they don't like hip-hop. There's no musicianship, so-and-so hasn't spent years learning to play guitar or whatever, they're amateurs and their music is simplistic and base and offensive and rubbish, and so on.

I think in a lot of cases those arguments are pretty valid, but y'know most "classic" rock records are really simplistic too, but they still sound great.

I think it would be a shame if anybody was missing out on some great records from what I think was the "golden age" of hip-hop simply because they either never heard them at all or never listened to them properly, so here are some tunes which I think are gloriously creative and musical and funky, and I hope even the most hardened rockers amongst you will give some of them a chance. So please drop your inhibitions for a little while and listen objectively. And tell me honestly if you weren't grooving.

If you've got an opinion to share, I'd love to hear which ones you especially liked or disliked, and why:

1983 - Grandmaster Flash & The Fu ... Five - New York, New York
I'm spoiling you to begin with - you get a young Doug Wimbish on bass. The Furious Five started social consciousness in rap music, but still had very accessible lyrics.

1987 - Public Enemy - Sophisticated Bitch
From the first Public Enemy LP, Yo! Bum Rush The Show. They sampled Heatwave, got Vernon Reid in on guitar, and sort-of quoted Duke Ellington, the beat is just huge. Rap's still pretty immature by this point, but Public Enemy have more to offer in later years...

1989 - De La Soul - Say No Go
Anti-drug tune from 3 Feet High & Rising. I think I've bought that album seven times so far because I either wore it out or bought it as a gift or people stole it from me. Rap started to mature about this time, and this bunch of 19-YEAR-OLD KIDS from Long Island were at the spearhead. Amazing record. Were you this plugged-in at age 19? I certainly wasn't.

1990 - Public Enemy - Leave This Off Your ****ing Charts
From Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet" album, this is basically a hip-hop instrumental by phenomenal scratch DJ Terminator X. If this doesn't get your ass cheeks moving, nothing will. Music doesn't get funkier than this.

1991 - Terminator X feat. The Interro ... to the Scene of the Bass
This album - Terminator X & The Valley of the Jeep Beats - was a flop. Which is a shame, because it's got loads of great old-school grooves like this on it. This track features "The Interrogators", who I've never heard doing anything else. Can anyone tell me where the bassline came from? It's great!

1992 - The Goats - Typical American
What a huge beat. There's no sampling on this record, it's all live musicians and the Goats always gigged with a full live band. All three rappers were smart, charismatic, ego-free and talented. You have to love Oatie's "Bush" T-shirt with the swastika S. That was for Bush senior, of course. I just love this record. The album - a rap CONCEPT ALBUM! that covered the whole of american history - was a flop... It's excellent. I will burn it for anybody who wants it.

1992 - Beastie Boys - So Watcha Want?
Beats don't get heavier than this! The Beasties really found their sound on the album Check Your Head - a healthy mix of goofball skits and huge old-school beats so good that they continued with the same formula into 1994's Ill Communication and it still hadn't got stale. Both records are classics.

1992 - Galliano - So Much Confusion
The first Brit entry on my list. On this album the band featured the excellent Ernie McKone on bass and Mick Talbot (Style Council) on keys. Steve White (Style Council) took drum duties on the debut record, which is well worth having. This is just a sweet groove and an early example of UK hip-hop. Storm Clouds Gather is a better (IMO) earlier tune, but isn't on youtube. You get Steve White on that one.

1993 - KRS-One - Higher Level
Return Of the Boom-Bap is a great record full of tunes like this (you've probably heard Sound of Da Police, this is more laid-back). KRS-One teamed up with GangStarr's DJ Premier for his first "solo" record, and Premier - a brilliant and funky scratch DJ incidentally - is responsible for this mixing this beat.

1994 - Credit To The Nation - Teenage Sensation
Yeah you've probably heard this one, but I bet you haven't heard it for ages! Brummie rapper Matty Hanson aka MC Fusion with Chumbawamba providing production, it's surprisingly catchy! The album was very listenable too.

1996 - De La Soul - Stakes Is High
Beautiful sample, serious messages again from De La Soul, but this time with a beat to match the mood. For me this is jazz hip-hop. By this time the band were established heroes of hip-hop, so they try to use that influence by turning the spotlight on their own scene and deliver some home-truths. These guys just never disappoint.

Finally, we've got to have some ADF:

Asian Dub Foundation - Black White
Asian Dub Foundation - New Way, New Life
Asian Dub Foundation - Real Great Britain

If at least one of those can't move you, wear your anti-rap badge with pride!
I agree that people who say there is no good rap/hip-hop music are closed minded! I have been studying music for most my life also and know that there is good music in almost every genre if you know where to look. You just have to stop letting the mainstream and charts tell you what to buy and go on a music discovery! last.fm and forums are a great way to find new stuff.

Obviously there is too much music out there for anyone to listen to all the genres, but yeah just do a bit of digging and you will be surprised!

Me my favourite genres are post-rock, progressive rock, extreme metal, idm, electronica and modern classical. Not listened to that much good hip-hop but will get round to it once I need something new and fresh to try.
rap is good and is always been. but i still dont like those snoop dog or news 50 cent songs.
TLDR;

Faily sure i do hate rap music, so i'm not listening to some bullshit faggot pimps hoes n bitches gun weilding gangster shit.

Only rap i've ever liked was some of eminem's old stuff. But thats because he didnt sing about pimps, hose, bitches, guns, and how much money he has. His music is comical and makes me laugh.
#5 - amp88
#6 - ZORER
Dude, rap sucks. i can't understand how a person can be a musician and listen to rap at the same time.Rap is something like throwing a glass of paint on the paper and calling it art.

I'm sorry i don't agree.
-
(PaulH) DELETED by PaulH
#7 - ssm
I like rap, and hip hop, but I can't stand RnB, and I can't stand T-Pain.
I listen to a little bit of everything, so I don't shun based on style. Except in the case of RnB. Adult males singing girly songs in a falsetto is. Just. Wrong.
80s hiphop is brilliant, the likes of Run DMC etc
90s hiphop was marginally worse
00s hiphop is just awful
I'm not against any genre of music; there's always always someone out there who can surprise you.

For instance, I like Lloyd (found thanks to GTA4), particularly the song I Want You which contains a riff that most people will probably find familiar I also like Cha'millionaire's Ridin' Dirty. I grew up on rock, but I don't mind a bit of anything. Jordan Knight (from New Kids on the Block) had good solo R'n'B.
does linken park count?
Not really a fan of the above, or the UK rap scene.

Influential artists, such as Tupac and Eazy-E I have alot of respect for.

They opened the eyes of alot of people, to show the racism and police brutality, brought black people together, not have to live like 2nd class citizens, grab what you can get in life, cause they sure as hell aint gunna give it to ya!
And Will Smith. Everbody loves Will Smith
'Wicky-Wicky-Wa-Wa'
Kev, i remember reading somewhere here, quite sometime ago, that you like some oldschool hiphop. You've also mentioned a few artists, and since then, i remember you having good taste.

Amp88, very good taste there aswell... some great tracks you've listed there.

For me, hiphop plays a big part in my life. It's a way of looking at life, an attitude, etc.

The problem is, most people don't understand hiphop these days. If you mention the word rap or hiphop, people instantly think of stuff like 50 cent. They think of wanna be "gangsters" that are trying to look cool and tough, blabla. And don't see the bigger picture.

I agree that there is some very "simple" music to find in hiphop, but something good doesn't always have to be complicated. And to be honest, simple doesn't equal easy. Has anybody ever tried to make a "perfect" beat/track on an MPC/sampler? I can assure you, it's not that easy. To make a very simple beat, which is as dope as the stuff you hear in famous tracks, can require big talent. Pete Rock is a good example, that man is a genious.

I'm a person who is very picky when it comes to music. If i don't like what i hear, i don't listen to it. It has to move me in some way.

However, there is something else to hiphop, much bigger than the music itself. And this is the lyrics!

If you listen to hiphop that actually has a message, a good message, you'll find it's a very good attitude that they have.

It's funny, even people who like the good stuff, if you tell them why you listen to hiphop, and what it means to you, many of them will tell you that they listen to it because of the cool beats and music, and that they never really paid attention to the lyrics. It's funny, because they are missing so much.

If you listen to the lyrics of good hiphop music. You'll see that there is some way of how they look at life. You'll find it's a very positive way.

For me the main message of good hiphop music is...
Learn from the situations in life where you struggled, stand up again after you fall down, keep your head up, have a laugh when you can, respect others and your family and friends, be positive in life, be smart, be grateful for the things you are blessed with, always give your best, never stop believing in yourself, or plain and simple: enjoy yourself and have fun!etc... all those things!

And in this regard, hiphop means a whole freaking lot to me. As i said, it's a way of looking at life for me. It's a big positive force in my life.
It has nothing to do with what clothes i am wearing, or how i talk, etc. I'm just a normal guy if you see me on the street... and i'm sure none of the people with the usual "image" of hiphop in their mind would think of me as somebody who loves hiphop.

It's sad what mainstream hiphop has become, they totally forgot what it was all about.

I'm not going to write down a big list of artists here now. Just a few that i see as big talents and inspiration regarding their music and lyrics...

- A tribe called quest
- Pharoahe Monch
- Common (that man is a hero)
- Pete Rock
- K'Naan
- Pete Philly and Perquisite (a bit modern, and not really oldschool... but the lyrics are EXACTLY what hiphop is about)
- Grand Puba
- Sound Providers
- many more...

It's funny, because i thought about making a thread like this sometime ago. But then i thought "nah, most people won't understand anyway".

Props to you Kev, for making an attempt at reminding people what rap/hiphop actually is/was/could be.

peace

One of my favourite tracks at the moment is Forever Begins from Common. Here's a video of him in the studio... talking about it: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=6oriIHuVknQ
Here's a video where you hear him talking about his album Finding Forever: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v= ... V77AA&feature=related listen to what he says... it's exactly what i am talking about!
#16 - ssm
I think Linkin Park counts... but it is Hip-Hop..

Rap is more what is more classified as "Gangsta Rap", all the focus is on the words, no overly-distracting melodies to detract from the point.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhCNFaaTq1Q

Anything with singing or chorus is Hip-Hop.
Quote from Klutch :TLDR;

Sorry to derail the thread, but why oh why do Internet people wear "to long, didn't read" like am effing badge? All it does is show the people around you that you lack the attention span and concentration to comprehensively read a text that's about the length of one (or two, if it's really long) page of text, or about 2-3 minutes time of reading. To me, it seems that nowadays, it's not only OK to be stupid, but it's an ideal that has to be followed.

Now back to topic: TLDR :P

Nah, honestly, there are good hip-hop and rap songs out there. Sadly though, much like with everything else, the majority of people seems to like crap, thus making it mainstream and successfull, which gives the whole genre a bad name.
Still, I prefer Metal and Rock!
Quote from jibber :
For me, hiphop plays a big part in my life. It's a way of looking at life, an attitude, etc.

Quoted for truth. I agree with it all
There is decent Rap music out there it's just not my cup of tea to be honest. I would much rather listen to a guitar band than a rap artist/group, but in saying that, theres a few rap songs on my mp3 player so .

What ever I like, I like. Simple as that.
Kriss Kross

Like with any genre of music you get the good stuff that comes at the start. Punk was good at the start, grunge was good at the start, hip hop was good at the start etc.... They all share something in common. They were born from youth movements and had something 'real' about them.

Then the imitators come along and thats that ended. I can only think of Dizzee Rascal that has been able to havea decent take at modern hiphop.

Hopefully this depression we are going into can spawn a new youth movement because quite frankly we've had 15 years of complete pussy bullsh1t. If I hear "she's so lovely", or "the sex is on fire", or "ruby ruby ruby" one more time I am gonna lose it!
That's something i don't understand. Many people keep sticking to the oldschool stuff, and are closed minded when it comes to hiphop that is produced these days.

Music does change with time, and maybe you don't like the changes so much, but it's not like the spirit of hiphop died many years ago. It's still very alive.

There are still many real artists out there who do their music because it's their heart and soul, their life. Look at a few of the artists i've posted.

HipHop is not dead.
#23 - ssm
jibber, I think it's about mainstream Hip Hop that is dead. Of course the independent scene follows different rules, but the general public just hears the chavy, baggy clothes wearing "bitch this", "cap that" shit that's played in the radio.
#25 - ssm
Eh, what would you classify as Chavy?

(162 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG