The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from lalathegreat :Everyone seems to drive slow cars.
Regardless i have a 96 civic hatch chassis with 2.0 liters 250Whp Na

a sportscar performance in a schoolboy econocar body...
that's like a being married to a supermodel that looks like a janitor...
NICE...

also I don't think that you would spend more then your car costs (2.0 engine swap + Tuning it to 250 with no forced intake...expensive, and 96 civic is a very cheap car) to go a mere 250 BHP, which would definetly be useless with FWD...I'd like to see some pictures...
This week, I am unfortunately driving a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The biggest POS I've ever driven. It's a rental...

I'd have to say that it is even a bigger POS than the majority of GM cars I have driven. I knew it was junk even before getting into it when the girl at the rental place described it as "peppy". Pretty much, if a car is said to be "peppy", it's going to turn out to be a piece of garbage. Visability is so horrible in the thing, that I don't even think it should be legal to be on public roads.

I have a 96 Nissan Altima with 153,000 miles on it, check engine light lit that I can't seem to figure out, just welded on a new front end due to rust and my Altima is still a far nicer car than this Dodge garbage is.
Attached images
Ray_Can_t_See_Shit.jpg
Where'd my pic go? It was there after I posted last night, I swear...

Funny thing is, I looked up the specs. It has that variable ratio transmission crap. Really? Then why can I still feel it shift? All that garbage is, is a really weak torque converter allowing it to spin to 6000 rpm at any throttle position during accelleration until the drivetrain catches up, then you feel it shift and it spools back up to 6000 rpm again. Complete garbage.

It's fly-by-wire throttle as well (I started a thread hoping for discussion a while back on FBW automotive applications in the future). Just as I predicted in that thread I started, it is complete garbage. You hit the throttle, and it's like the car thinks a little bit "hmm, Oh! You hit the throttle! Here, let me start to accelerate for you!" By then, your foot is 3/4ths of the way down on the throttle because it hasn't started to move yet, then it jerks and takes off like a bat outta hell. Now, you are in traffic, so you immediately have to lift off because you are taking off faster than the traffic around you. Now the car pauses, "Oh, you lifted. Here, I'll get off the throttle for you now." By then, it's too late. You're trying to explain to the guy in front of you who's bumper you just tagged how the car is a rental POS and it's not your fault. It's the fault of the design of the POS car manufacturer.

Indeed, I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic at a construction zone on the way home today. Cars moving about 3 mph, but not me! My car is "VROOOOM," jumps and takes off, then back on the brakes, takes off, back on the brakes. It was impossible to just creep along in bumper to bumper traffic jam.

Can't wait to get my 153,000 mile rust bucket back tomorrow!
[/rant]
My dad's Audi A6 has a CVT as well. I dunno about the Caliber, but my dad's car is programmed to simulate a normal automatic transmission. I, however, find it rather interesting and actually like it. The advantage is that the shift points can be moved ANYWHERE. I really like the CVT because of how it shifts quite a few times at low RPM under light acceleration, but only like 3 times under hard acceleration. It's quite neat.

As for the drive by wire, my dad's car is kind of like that. It has what seems to be a dead spot in the gas pedal and then all of a sudden it picks up. My dad brought it in and they reprogrammed it anyway, but they said that that was how it was supposed to be (don't remember why.) That's annoying as it takes a while to get used to. I dunno about the hesitation in the Caliber.
Caliber, that is indeed real piece of shit :ices_rofl

I feel your pain, but soon that experience is over and you will find new love in your trusty old rustbucket

Oh the pain when I needed to drive Renault Megane diesel 2001 model, I think it was, I barely fitted there, no matter what I did it blew cold to my neck, steering and pedals had no feeling, engine did not have any torque and powerband was probably 1000rpm, then that damn thing was FWD too so it would not even turn when I tried to fit it to parking place.

I'll say that we stick to older vehicles, at least those know who is the master
Some before and WIP pictures of the damage repair done to my car.

Before you all go giving it the "ZOMG!!1 What did you do!!1!" The damage was already on the car when I bought it and my mate's uncle is fixing it for me on the cheap...

Sorry for the quality, they were taken on my phone...
Attached images
BMW1.jpg
BMW2.jpg
BMW3.jpg
BMW4.jpg
My baby,

A '93 Nissan 200sx rs13 with ca18det engine (1.8 turbo)
Attached images
Img0005.jpg
Img018.jpg
Img019.jpg
Quote from lalathegreat :Everyone seems to drive slow cars.
Regardless i have a 96 civic hatch chassis with 2.0 liters 250Whp Na

too bad it's WWD...

here's mine (again)

Why does your MX5 have a Dutch plate on it?
omdat ik in nederland woon?

because i live in the netherlands?
Aha! Dat wist ik niet!
I wanted to ask the exact same thing. But then I remembered how loyal italians are
Quote from The General Lee :Some before and WIP pictures of the damage repair done to my car.

Before you all go giving it the "ZOMG!!1 What did you do!!1!" The damage was already on the car when I bought it and my mate's uncle is fixing it for me on the cheap...

It got sprayed last night, he should be doing the final prep work tonight or tomorrow...

Updates then
You can tell its on the cheap....look at the amount of junk on the tyre! hate to think what the inside of the arch looks like. hope its all cleaned off when hes finished
Quote from Stefani24 :My dad drives a sharan 5-gears-automatic buisness(i am standing right beside the car)

Who's the dude thats wearing the high waters?
you my friend are talking crap..

'Had it up to almost 140mph on a private road of course'

my punto wouldnt do 140 and that was 170bhp and that would do 0-60 in 6.5
Quote from R3DMAN :you my friend are talking crap..

my vx wont do 140 and thats 150bhp and about 500kg lighter..

Hey they do accutally go that fast...expecially if hes added any extras to it..then it has more..
Quote from R3DMAN :you my friend are talking crap..

my punto wouldnt do 140 and that was 170bhp and that would do 0-60 in 6.5

How does a 0-60 constitute a cars overall speed? How does bhp constitute a cars overall speed? They both don't. You could have 1000bhp and have a shitty close-gear ratio. If you didn't tune your gearbox up Chris, that is probobly WHY your punto wouldn't do 140, the stock gearbox only needs to go to 110 or so, because that's what the stock Engine is made for.
Quote from robt :You can tell its on the cheap....look at the amount of junk on the tyre! hate to think what the inside of the arch looks like. hope its all cleaned off when hes finished

When I took those pics, I was a little put-off by the crap on the tire and around that area in general. I went and looked at it today and he has cleaned it up really well. Also the inside of the arch is in great condition
Quote from BlueFlame :How does a 0-60 constitute a cars overall speed? How does bhp constitute a cars overall speed? They both don't. You could have 1000bhp and have a shitty close-gear ratio. If you didn't tune your gearbox up Chris, that is probobly WHY your punto wouldn't do 140, the stock gearbox only needs to go to 110 or so, because that's what the stock Engine is made for.

You're right, a 0-60mph time will not necessarily give much indication of top speed. Lower speed acceleration is related to the power/weight ratio (assuming gearing and traction are optimum, etc etc), and top speed is dependent on power/drag ratio (again given optimum gearing). So you could have a car like a Caterham 7 that'll get to 60mph bloody quickly (because of it's high power/weight ratio) but only get up to 130mph (because of it's low power/drag ratio). Then of course you could have a heavy, aerodynamic car with a lot of power that takes quite a bit longer to get to 60mph but could top out at much higher speeds.

140mph sounds a bit much for a stock civic, but I've done 136mph (not indicated speed but speed calculated based on gearing) in my stock '90 Miata down a steep enough hill
Quote from The General Lee :Some before and WIP pictures of the damage repair done to my car.

Did your parents buy you that?
Nope, I paid for it out of my own money.

When I pass, the insurance will be in my name, paid out of my money.

The repairs that are being done, are being paid out of my money.

*insert something to do with the car* is/are being paid out of my money.

I'm no Harjun
Quote from BlueFlame :If you didn't tune your gearbox up Chris, that is probobly WHY your punto wouldn't do 140, the stock gearbox only needs to go to 110 or so, because that's what the stock Engine is made for.

Then maybe you can explain how a Lotus Esprit is so much faster then an old 70's renault, Citroën SM and Maserati Merak even though they use identical gearboxes? Im sure the Citroen SM didn't have 5000rpm and a whole gear spare at is sub 100mph top speed!
Finished!

The pictures don't really do it justice

They were taken in the rain on my phone
Attached images
BMW5.jpg
BMW6.jpg
BMW New 1.jpg
BMW New 4.jpg
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG