The online racing simulator
Particles
(6 posts, started )
Particles
Don't even think I'll ask for new particle textures and stuff!
This is an idea I had while looking at crashes on LFS. I think it would be good *by now*, to add some eyecandy without affecting the fps' and engine, etc.
This ideas are:
- Have different particle values for different materials... I've never seen a cloud of *grass* floating all over the place (by the way, the grass particles should be brown I think...?) Also, take down some from the sand, and give it a weight, as sand ussualy falls
- The whole car should start particles, not only tires. If the car itself does already... it's way too unnoticeable. Dust should come up from impacts when, for exaple, you roll over, and the roof crashes against the dirt. Of course, not against asphalt.
- Also, when cars impact walls and such, there should be gray somoke coming out, even if it's not too much.

Another thing I thought about, I just don't want to make another thread.
As we have this deformable cars, and scawen said we'll have falling off wings... I thought about something like a damage limit. Like marking the most important parts in the model, so when the deformation gets to that point, car stops working... For engine I mean of course. So a heavy frontal crash would have you out of race.

regards
Quote from Racer556 :(by the way, the grass particles should be brown I think...?)

Depends on what you smoke
The whole smoke improvement has been suggested before, but the 'dust' is kinda new I guess.

+/- 1, not that big of a deal really. You're more likely to see a huge fireball than a bit of concrete dust imo.
Sure, but cars don't blow up that much
One thing I do like with the dust in LFS which I haven't seen in other sims is the fact that spinning wheels will throw dust in the direction of the spin. Most just spawn a stationary dust cloud from wherever the wheels touch.
I think damage and LFS graphics overall would look even more realistic with particle effects. I agree with your points, but I'd like to add some (physics, not 'cosmetics'):

I think tires should collide with the car body too.. so if the body touched the tire, the wheel would lose speed/lock, I think it would really give a lot more realism. (This would also make people with cars too much damaged unable to still get it running since the car body would lock the wheel when touching/'forcing' it).
I would love if this was implemented, even without particles, because I think it's more important.
GTA IV (a ridiculous comparison, but just so you know) has 'semi' lockable (by damage) tires. If they get too damaged from lateral collision, they just lock, although they don't lock by touching the car body. I think if both these things were implemented, it would be just amazing.

Particles
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG