The online racing simulator
Modifying FZ50's front and rear headlights
I wish to modifying FZ50's front and rear headlights, but I'm not sure which file I'm supposed to edit. I tried FZ_Interior1.dds, but that didn't do the trick. Thanks for your help.
FZ_Interior1.dds has the texture for the front lights (top left of the file).

FZ_Interior2.dds has the rear light texture (bottom left).

Both files should usually be saved after editing as DXT1, no alpha.

Copy the file(s) into your data/dds folder, and restart lfs so it will pick up the new files.
Thanks. As a test, I covered the dds with a red solid. Here's how it looks:

Is it possible to change the actually shape of the light? The same thing applies to the rear lights, too. Thanks heaps.
You can change the shape of the lights, but they have to stay within the boundaries of the mapped area on the model.

The front lights are easy to replace, the rear lights aren`t as easy since they are mapped and remapped in several places over and inside themselves.

The easiest thing I can do for you is suggest taking a look at these .jpg`s.

They show the areas of the textures that are mapped to the model. You`ll see the front lights have a distinct shape around them. this is the wireframe of the model. Anything inside this area will work (with some slight stretching or compression as they are wrapped around the 3d model) The rear lights are mapped as one circle inside another. The only way to see how it works is to experiment and see for yourself.

Once you get the idea, it isn`t hard to work on the files
Attached images
FZ_Interior1.jpg
FZ_Interior2.jpg
Thanks unseen I really appreciate that. I'm going to experiment for a bit. Many cheers.
My pleasure

It`s all down to visualising what you`re trying to work on. Once you know where things go and how they work on the car model, it`s a lot easier to do what you`re trying to do.

Good luck with it
Sorry, I didn't explain it very clearly. After putting a red solid over interior1.dds, I get:

But I'm actually hoping for:

I wonder how that can be done? Thanks heaps.
#8 - popsy
as far as i know vinja, it is not possible, there might e a headlight lense file but im not sure of it. keep on keepin on :P
Are you trying to make the glass cover over the lights more like a solid cover, or just make the lights themselves much larger?
I'm trying to make the glass look more like a solid cover. You know, like pop up lights.

Cheers.
Ah. Ok.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is yes, you can make a solid look for the light covers, but the bad news is that the file you`d have to change is used on most of the other road cars for their light covers too.

Whatever colour you made it, it would be that colour on the headlight covers of the other road cars, and would also show up on every other one of those cars you see driven by others online or by the ai.

The colour also cannot be made very bright or vivid since it has a built-in dark tint, so you couldn`t make it bright red, neon purple or anything like that. Dark colours are fine tho.

Overall not really worth it, due to all the drawbacks, but it could be done for a movie of a single car or something.

If you want to play about with it, the file is s_glassALPHA.dds.

Quick pic below.
Attached images
lightcovers.jpg
Ah, many thanks. Well, I actually wanted to build a Roadster. But hey, thanks heaps. At least the question is answered.
Not the best of outcomes, but meh, you can`t win `em all
unseen can you show the mapping of xr lights please
It`s a large pic since I usually use 2048x2048 for textures, but it`ll show you where the mapping is. The headlights are simple, but the rear reverse light and indicator are used with a different mapping for the smaller lights on the front.
Attached images
XR Light Mappings.jpg
thanks unseen

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG