The online racing simulator
Fern Bay Help
(10 posts, started )
Fern Bay Help
Hey there guys, I did a quick search but did not find any useful topics concerning my problem.

I have a really big problem with the XRG@Fern Bay, especially FE1, FE1R, FE3 and FE3R.
Basically, it feels like my tires do not have grip at all (normals obviously), so i usually get a really bad understeer in entries, and a really bad oversteer in exits, which makes my times stagnate quite far from the WR.
I tried with a lot of different pressures (I usually was riding with 175-180 kpa on both the front and the rear), and it seems I get this problem all the time.

It may come from my suspension, I have a tad stiffer springs and ARB than the WR setups (I like it better), the same rear damping, and a tad stiffer front damping, because I found it optimized more the tire heating and the overall handling. I have the same ratios for spring/ARB stiffnesses
I ride with a 80% Clutch Pack LSD, with 150 preload in order to facilitate my entries without sacrifying much exit power. I ride with no toe, and my camber is -4.1 at the rear and -2.3 at the front, which I'm very comfortable with.

So please can someone give me some advices about the way to improve the setup, and maybe my driving technique (I usually trail brake around the corners, but my brake bias is only 68% so I don't really understeer bad).

Usually, my front wheels start losing grip just a moment after I entered the corner, and my rear wheels some moments after putting the power down (like they grip weel for half a second, then one spins).

Thank you so much for any advice
Why dont you like the WR sets?

what id reccommend, would be to play around between ur set and the WR set, by doing this you'de also be learning what changes actually do i.e. softer front damping improves front traction and so on!

As for the technical stuff, let me rather not comment
Quote from Dizzydarryn :Why dont you like the WR sets?

what id reccommend, would be to play around between ur set and the WR set, by doing this you'de also be learning what changes actually do i.e. softer front damping improves front traction and so on!

As for the technical stuff, let me rather not comment

Well, it's not that I don't like the WR setups, but I really don't like the understeer caused by the locked diff (in entries).

About the front damping, well a softer front damping improves front traction in entries and rear in exits, in a FR car with more mass on the front up to a certain point. Indeed, if your front damping is set too low, you will transfer too much weight for the front tires to carry, which will result in an understeer (especially in some fern bay corners, such as the hairpin in the FE1R FE3R configuration).

Thanks for the help
Thats why i didnt want to get into the detail side of things cause im not as clued up as some guys, i rely on a race engineer. I was just curious why u not interested in using the WR sets. They generally a very good base to apply tweaks to so aid your driving style!
Quote from Dizzydarryn :I was just curious why u not interested in using the WR sets. They generally a very good base to apply tweaks to so aid your driving style!

Yeah, you are right, this is what I usually do for more powerful cars. Just that the XRG/XFG setups seems a bit weird.
#6 - robt
attached to sets for you to try......will need to change the steering lock back up to full though as i use keyboard or a ps2 pad. but hopefully they should cure your problems. If not maybe we can find a server online sometime and do some setup work
Attached files
XRG_fe green.set - 132 B - 954 views
XRG_fe gold.set - 132 B - 976 views
Fern Bay Gold is probbably my best track - I know it very well, in the XFG at least. I can drive the XRG up to about 90% and so if you want, I can go onto my freinds server and help you if you want at a time that you're availible.
Thank you robt and S14.

@robt : I tried your setups and I have to say that with full lock they are pretty close to what I'm used to drive. They are though more stable, I think it is due to a softer suspension and a softer rear damping, which give a very nice exit smoothness. I tried to apply your toe settings to my own setup, and I have to say that this was a good idea, I can now do a FE3R 1st split without much effort that is better than my PB's. Thank you very much I think I should try to use your setup more often to see what can I improve to mine.

@S14 and robt This would be really nice to drive with you. Unfortunately, I am at the other end of the world (Seattle, Wa, USA) so I think the time here is GMT-8:00 so it might be really hard to find an appointment But I'll keep it in mind and as soon as I see one of you guys online, i'll join you

Thanks again!
#9 - DrBen
I'm not a WR-chaser by far...
...well one advice I have, though:

try to memorize your weak spots on the track, then have a couple ofminutes pause.
When you restart you next run, try to to think about weight-distribution and such. WHAT EXACTLY is going on with the weight of the body, which wheels are on the ground, which spring is compressed/decompressed, which piece of rubber is actually gripping on the road, what kind of deformation would tyre w,x,y,z suffer at right now, how does that affect grip?

and lastly: if this brings no clue to what is the key-difference to the faster drivers: start drifting on purpose throughout, at the beginning /at the end of such a problematic corner -> again, rethink your vehicle-dynamics as stated above -> notice any difference in anticipation and real (re)action? If so then there might be a lack of track-knowledge, that didn't yet cross you sight -> check it out.

Knowing how to lose traction and when gave me a better understanding of the force-feedback - although I'm no newbie to lfs, at all. I can now utilize a more precise steering- and pedal-input, weight-transition is now my key-focus --> made me able to apply throttle earlier, brake later find a more stable line through the corners

and - yeah - I rarely use foreign setups if I can avoid it. Messing with you own stuff is one of my key joys in lfs. But I reckon you are just getting there, too

Good luck!
#10 - robt
@Zen321: Glad the setups helped a bit. a test session would be much better for you i feel. using your own setup with specific answers on what its doing in each corner and tweaking accordingly. i Believe bobs old setup calculator had a good tool for seeing if the car would under/oversteer, though it wouldnt be as much use in the new patches it could help you understand how setup changes make a diffrence to the car. there is a piece i do know of that i will find for you though!
And as for timezones, pick a time like 8am your time and ill probably still be awake here, might be able to arrange something

http://upload.lfsmanual.net/images/1/1c/Sus5.gif <<< that should help a little i hope

Fern Bay Help
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG