The online racing simulator
ATI 4850 overheating problems
(7 posts, started )
Hey guys, I have some problems with my vga card.

Its is overheating.

With fan working at 100% temperatures are getting up to 70 degrees and its "winter"(if you can call it that way in Greece).

I don't want to imagine what will happen during summer.

Even now the card activity is 0 and fan speed at 100% temperature is 52-51 degrees.

Any suggestions?
#2 - Noccy
Don't worry, 70° is perfectly normal for a 48XX series card. In many reviews they go up to 80-90° under load without any overclocking.
So if u can keep it near 90° in summer u should be fine.
Actually 70 with the fan speed at 100% is not good at all. I did a test on my 4870, and the temp goes under 40 when the fan is at 100%. On the 4850 it will be a little higher if it's a single slot card, but not THAT high.

Get GPU-Z and check the clock speeds. Mine goes down to 500 MHz when idle, does yours go down too? Can you also clean out the fan and heatsink on the card to remove all the dust? Also, what are the temps when you're playing a game?
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Actually 70 with the fan speed at 100% is not good at all. I did a test on my 4870, and the temp goes under 40 when the fan is at 100%. On the 4850 it will be a little higher if it's a single slot card, but not THAT high.

Get GPU-Z and check the clock speeds. Mine goes down to 500 MHz when idle, does yours go down too? Can you also clean out the fan and heatsink on the card to remove all the dust? Also, what are the temps when you're playing a game?

I think you didnt understand.

70 is when i play, and it gets even higher with fan seed 100% but it wasnt like that 3 days ago.

Also there is no dust in there, the card is a few weeks old.

Right now with 100% fan speed and activity 0 the temp is 55.
Quote from Noccy :Don't worry, 70° is perfectly normal for a 48XX series card. In many reviews they go up to 80-90° under load without any overclocking.
So if u can keep it near 90° in summer u should be fine.

You sure? when my cards are at 100% load they don't even get 70degrees
Take off the cover which is covering the heatsink so the heat travels away from the crap stranded cooling plus it makes the fan less silent or just buy a aftermarket cooler.
#7 - G!NhO
i have fan speed at 43% all the time and its 51 degrees on idle

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG