The online racing simulator
Alonso threatens/F1 becomes "standard"
Quote :Renault driver upset at proposed rule changes
Fernando Alonso will consider quitting Formula One if the sport follows through with plans for a standard engine. Formula One's governing body, the International Automobile Federation (FIA), said in October that it intends to introduce a uniform engine for all teams from 2010 in an effort to cut costs.It has since launched a tender for bids to provide the engine, although this is only one of three options being considered.
"If they approved that, it would be the last straw," said Alonso.
"It would be time to think about retirement."

Ferrari, who could well figure in Alonso's future, and Toyota have already said they will consider pulling out if standard engines are imposed.
Alonso, champion with Renault in 2005 and 2006, said Formula One was going backwards technically with recent regulation changes."In 2005 we had a V10 engine with 1,000 horsepower," he noted."That was what was exciting for the driver, motor racing at the limit."We have gone from the futuristic to cars without grip or electronic aids which look like something from the past."

Source: skysports.com

If he does pull out from F1, for me will be like Tea without milk. I understand that the FIA are trying to cut the costs, but since theses new rules have come into place, F1 is not the same as it used to be.

this is so weird...not even NASCAR enforces standard engines...
Quote from lizardfolk :this is so weird...not even NASCAR enforces standard engines...

What are the NASCAR budgets like in comparison?
What do you mean? Engine R&D programs by manufacturers are quite substantial, probably not anywhere near F1 budgets but anyway.

Just shows how "almost standard" engines means nothing regarding manufacturer involvement... but I think it is little bit different culture with F1. And would be if this rule comes reality, since FIA is planning to make sure there are absolutely no performance differences.
Hmmm, couple of interesting sentences in that Alonso quote.

He claims in 2005 the Renault had 1000hp, yet they always said they didn't have the quickest car. But the Ferrari's were putting out just over 900 at the time. And, he says the sport has gone backwards coz the cars have less grip and no driver aids these days !. Says a lot about the guy....pussy.
#5 - Osco
quick =! fast
Well, according to that quote, he's only quick and fast when the car with the most powerful engine does the driving for him.
#7 - amp88
It's something a lot of the drivers have said though. They much prefer the old V10s to the new V8s. I think it was Tiago Monteiro who put it best, saying that when he first drove a V10 he was sh**ting himself. Alonso was almost certainly exaggerating when he said the Renault had 1000bhp, but he was just using hyperbole to make his point (very Clarkson-esque).
I remember a few teams at various points in the V10 era claiming 1050hp in race trim, and more in qualifying, how true that was through the thick veil of marketting and corporate promotions is hard to say, but usually when one team was regarded as having a fast engine figures like that got touted about.
Who was it who recently said the V8s are dull to drive. Wasn't it Coulthard? Not enough poke to keep the drivers awake.
#10 - JJ72
Quote from Mazz4200 :Says a lot about the guy....pussy.

wow you are such a macho man for saying that.
#11 - 5haz
Make them all use Matra V12s!

Its all very very tragic.
I'm totally in favour of this rule change. Anything that will get Alonso out of there can only be good for the sport.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Well, according to that quote, he's only quick and fast when the car with the most powerful engine does the driving for him.

very well put.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Well, according to that quote, he's only quick and fast when the car with the most powerful engine does the driving for him.

Bullshit.

He's simply acknowledging the fact that a driver always wants more, better, and faster, and most drivers see any rule changes which take away anything which makes them faster to be a detriment. Surely you remember Kubica echoing this sentiment a few months ago.

And anyway, anyone who thinks that an F1 engine "can do the driving" for someone is a moron. It still requires an extremely impressive skill level to drag a car like the 2008 Renault to victory twice. Regardless of what you think of Alonso's character, his driving this year was superb.
Quote from Lateralus :Bullshit.

He's simply acknowledging the fact that a driver always wants more, better, and faster, and most drivers see any rule changes which take away anything which makes them faster to be a detriment. Surely you remember Kubica echoing this sentiment a few months ago.

And anyway, anyone who thinks that an F1 engine "can do the driving" for someone is a moron. It still requires an extremely impressive skill level to drag a car like the 2008 Renault to victory twice. Regardless of what you think of Alonso's character, his driving this year was superb.

Spot on!

I can't see manufactures sticking around in F1 with a standardized engine or chassis. It's not what F1 is about and takes away the only reason manufactures have to be part of it. They are there to showcase their technology and when it wins, there marketing department can go to town and tell everyone "why" they won.
Quote from lateralus :bullshit.

He's Simply Acknowledging The Fact That A Driver Always Wants More, Better, And Faster, And Most Drivers See Any Rule Changes Which Take Away Anything Which Makes Them Faster To Be A Detriment. Surely You Remember Kubica Echoing This Sentiment A Few Months Ago.

And Anyway, Anyone Who Thinks That An F1 Engine "can Do The Driving" For Someone Is A Moron. It Still Requires An Extremely Impressive Skill Level To Drag A Car Like The 2008 Renault To Victory Twice. Regardless Of What You Think Of Alonso's Character, His Driving This Year Was Superb.

+1
#17 - SamH
Alonso's right. Mosley/FIA are tossers. It's amazing that they can't see the damage that a single-manufacturer engine would do to the F1 field.. and yet I think they are actually oblivious to the implications.

The enemy of your enemy is NOT your friend. Alonso may be taking a dump on FIA's plans but he's still a tosser too.
Oh come on now, surely you lot know enough about F1 politics by now. Standard engines is a threat, a bargaining chip if you like. The FIA are saying, "come up with something to save a lot of money or we'll do this".

It's like the outlandish threats that your wife dishes out - "Put the bins out and if you forget to then I'll cut your balls off"
Quote from JJ72 :wow you are such a macho man for saying that.

Yes yes, but i'd be happy to call him a pussy to his face

And anyway, anyone who thinks that an F1 engine "can do the driving" for someone is a moron.

Quote from JJ72 :wow you are such a macho man for saying that.

Yes yes, but i'd be happy to call him a pussy (or a tosser) to his face

And anyway, anyone who thinks that an F1 engine "can do the driving" for someone is a moron.

Alonso is right, 100%.

I think 09 will be a bit slower then 08 but if they choose to keep the rules the same for next year it should be equal agian after such a developing year.

full slick tires will help out alot in getting them back up to pace.

and hopefully they will still add the turbo rule they said they would in 2010(i doubt though now).

Did you watch the last third of the last season?

Quote from MAGGOT :I'm totally in favour of this rule change. Anything that will get Alonso out of there can only be good for the sport.

I can't see how it is good for the sport when the best competitor leaves.
#23 - 5haz
As much as you hate Alonso as a person, you have to admit he is a good driver. A bit like Hamilton really, or Schumacher.
#24 - MR_B
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Oh come on now, surely you lot know enough about F1 politics by now. Standard engines is a threat, a bargaining chip if you like. The FIA are saying, "come up with something to save a lot of money or we'll do this".

It's like the outlandish threats that your wife dishes out - "Put the bins out and if you forget to then I'll cut your balls off"

I'm going to quote this because I don't think something so well said should be looked over.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG