The online racing simulator
LFS doesn't retain settings
(27 posts, started )
Folks,

I've searched this forum and found nothing about this issue:

Three people use this game on my puter. Each has its own controls set but when changing drivers, LFS remembers only the last settings used. It never did that, what do I need to do to make it retain the settings for each?

Thanks
I think controls are universal across all accounts.
Make three copies of LFS?

o
Sorry guys, that feature was working fine before I installed this latest patch. Does anyone know if there are any registry settings that may need to be modified?
#7 - amp88
Are all 3 of you sharing the same LFS account or do you each have your own account?
#8 - Gunn
Quote from Indiana Jim :Does anyone know if there are any registry settings that may need to be modified?

I'm pretty sure LFS writes nothing to the Windows registry at all.
you can change the path of your folder anytime,,, so nothing is written in the registry!!!, the installation is compressed file, and not a real installation, in other word, it extract and copy files where you want... nothing more :-)

but LFS retain always the last setting used, i didn't want than my game lost its setting when i close it, i cannot undertsand how it could work in other way... and i don't even understand how you believe that the computer know who is at the keyboard....

did you use 3 copy of LFS on the same computer, else do it,ans put it in different folder you'll be able to keep your personalized setting for each installation... Put 1 shortcut on your desktop for each installation , and write your name beside LFS....

easier way to resolve your problem ......

and S14_Drift, have you aver be able to change your account without locking, and unlocking LFS each time, if you do it, you will take all your unlock left in a week.... not very usefullll
Well copy LFS to 3 seperate folders, and try that. If not, then you can't. o_O;
Sorry again guys. I have three driver profiles with their own helmet, suit, etc and that works fine. It saves all data pertinent to each driver including the names, graphic settings and sound choices, but it does not save the control settings. As I said before, this was working fine prior to the upgrade.

Now, judging by the answers posted here, it is evident that some of you don't know how LFS works. So,

Lesson 1

When you enter the game you can choose who will be driving. The computer doesn't do a psychic evaluation to see who is behind the keyboard. Just click the options menu then click on "Driver". There you have the ability to add a new driver with his own settings or pick a previous one.

Lesson 2

Installing three different copies of LFS is not the answer.

Now guys, this is the Technical forum. Any tecchies out there willing to take a crap shoot at this?

Thanks for your efforts.
So, do you have 3 drivers on one license or a license for each driver?
I don't know if this will help, but I've never noticed a different controller config saved for each different player created in the Driver menu. Here's my explaination:

Controller: In LFS/data/misc/ folder there are controllerName.con files. These store your controller setup config as a whole. In the past, if I've needed to swap my controller setup. The only way I could do it was have a collection of these files in stored as different layouts stored somewhere else. When I wanted to swap controller config settings I copied the appropriate file into the ../misc/ folder and restarted LFS. It was the only way I could figure out how to make different controller configs, and by far, a much better solution than making multilpe copies of LFS.

Graphics: Also all graphics settings/configs are stored in ../LFS/setup.cfg There is only one file for the graphics setup options, like FOV and detail levels. I'm pretty sure there has never been a separate graphics config stored for each player you use. It can't because there is only on config file.

The only things I've noticed LFS store for each different player is stuff in the Driver menu like brake assist y/n, gear auto/manual, driver position, speed display mph/kmh AND also it remembered the last skin I chose with that player for each car.

The Driver menu used to be called Players. I just loaded up a Version of 0.5U. it's the same thing in that version as well. If you change controller configurations, it applies to to each and every driver. About the only thing it will remember for each Driver/Player is the autogearbox selection, driver position, autoblip and brake assist options. You're not confusing it with that are you?

I also noticed that each different controller you plug in, the config is saved in a different file. So I think, if one person uses a G25 then this file is different to the USB game pad config. So plugging in a different controller will load up a different config. But this isn't probably not what you're talking about. Unless all your buddies have diferent controllers they plug into the PC.
I'd guess that you want to make a new "cfg.txt" for every player. It contains controller options, as well as a whole bunch of other stuff useful for customisation of the program. Although, I'm not sure how much there is of wheel settings, there's certainly all the other options you would want there.
Thanks for posting the whole .cfg.

Maybe now I can steal it and become MP3 Astra for a day. :o
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Thanks for posting the whole .cfg.

Maybe now I can steal it and become MP3 Astra for a day. :o

Hmmm, I did remove some of the personal stuff, but really I shouldn't have posted it in the first place.
Including a server pasword for a server (Guessing your own)
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Including a server pasword for a server (Guessing your own)

Yes, that was my own server PW for when I want to get PBs but have nowhere else to go.
maybe a bug it that patch.... maybe Scawen can confirm but. if you said that is since the Patch upgrade, i can't figure it something else !!!

i don,t even check the driver option, i'm the only the use my computer so never need a "usefull" option like that !!!

maybe if you do a script that change the controllerconfig.con before starting game can resolve temporary your problem eheheh

put each controllerconfig.con in different folder, do a script that delete the file present in lfs, change for the one that you Want, ex. Myself, Brother, sister..... and then a line to start LFS...
Quote from JasonJ :I don't know if this will help, but I've never noticed a different controller config saved for each different player created in the Driver menu. Here's my explaination:

Controller: In LFS/data/misc/ folder there are controllerName.con files. These store your controller setup config as a whole. In the past, if I've needed to swap my controller setup. The only way I could do it was have a collection of these files in stored as different layouts stored somewhere else. When I wanted to swap controller config settings I copied the appropriate file into the ../misc/ folder and restarted LFS. It was the only way I could figure out how to make different controller configs, and by far, a much better solution than making multilpe copies of LFS.

Graphics: Also all graphics settings/configs are stored in ../LFS/setup.cfg There is only one file for the graphics setup options, like FOV and detail levels. I'm pretty sure there has never been a separate graphics config stored for each player you use. It can't because there is only on config file.

The only things I've noticed LFS store for each different player is stuff in the Driver menu like brake assist y/n, gear auto/manual, driver position, speed display mph/kmh AND also it remembered the last skin I chose with that player for each car.

The Driver menu used to be called Players. I just loaded up a Version of 0.5U. it's the same thing in that version as well. If you change controller configurations, it applies to to each and every driver. About the only thing it will remember for each Driver/Player is the autogearbox selection, driver position, autoblip and brake assist options. You're not confusing it with that are you?

I also noticed that each different controller you plug in, the config is saved in a different file. So I think, if one person uses a G25 then this file is different to the USB game pad config. So plugging in a different controller will load up a different config. But this isn't probably not what you're talking about. Unless all your buddies have diferent controllers they plug into the PC.

This is exactly what I'm referring to, just what you mentioned:

Quote :The only things I've noticed LFS store for each different player is stuff in the Driver menu like brake assist y/n, gear auto/manual, driver position, speed display mph/kmh AND also it remembered the last skin I chose with that player for each car.

It used to remember these individual settings for each driver, in particular auto or manual trans.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :I'd guess that you want to make a new "cfg.txt" for every player. It contains controller options, as well as a whole bunch of other stuff useful for customisation of the program. Although, I'm not sure how much there is of wheel settings, there's certainly all the other options you would want there.

I'll have yet to try the solution above. Meanwhile, I wrote a script for each driver and it works, but we need to run it every time we start the game.
:doh: This is going every which way but correct.

cfg.txt has nothing to do with what is stored in the PLAYER menu. You switch things for each player in the PLAYER menu and LFS will retain the values you set because that is stored in the data/misc folder in each respective xxxxxx.ply file.

I've just done a test myself, every player retains the settings in the PLAYERS menu.
All these items:
*Number plate
*Driver position
*Speed display
*Pressure display
*Brake help
*Gear shift mode

If you are having issues with the gearshift mode, you will notice that might have something to do with the files in the data/script folder. In there are files that force the gearbox setting depending on the car chosen. xrr.lfs for example runs the script sequential.lfs which may have information in it to change the gearbox type overriding what each player has selected. With repspect to gearshift mode, once you have lfs scripts in the data/script folder, LFS will not care which player is in the car, it will just run the scripts without looking at who is driving. I'm thinking that someone has added some LFS scripts to that folder that automatically changes the gearbox types when you get into particular cars. Maybe one of your computer users downloaded a G25 script to do that.

If this still does not solve your problem, I suggest a clean download of LFS patch Z, and see if the PLAYERS menu retains settings for each different player created chosen. You won't have to unlock LFS to test this out on a fresh install, just keep it separate to the current install you have.

Still no solution, you need to type out precisely which settings are being lost. You initially said "controls" but as you can see this is very vague description, there are many places in throughout LFS that regulate controls.
Thanks Jason.

This is by far the best answer I've got yet. I will be looking into that tonight when I get home from work.

My specific issue is the gearshift mode where I have mine set at sequential but I use the paddles for shifting. My daughter uses sequential but with the wheel shifter. My son likes the automatic trans. All three of us get whatever was set last.

I haven't checked the other buttons to see if they are changed but I will tonight. Also, I have a Momo wheel and, like you said, it's possible that the profiler changed the settings. I'll look into that also.

Thanks for your advise.
I think the main problem was that everyone was speculating what was going wrong for you. Now we know exactly what settings are changing we can get somewhere.

Check the contents of these files:
lfs/data/script/sequential.lfs
lfs/data/script/paddle.lfs
lfs/data/script/road.lfs
The should all be empty except for a couple comment lines explaining what they do. Comment lines begin with a "//".

Then check each car.lfs file i the same folder. THey are called when you change cars. Each one of those should be empty. It's posible they call one of the above files, but if those ones above are empty, then no settings should be over written.

Another note:
What do you mean when you say, "profiler" ? A wheel profiler will not interact with these files. However a bind that does SHIFT-G can change the gear setttings in LFS.
Jason,

I did all you suggested with no results. The Momo came with a Logitec Profiler program that can launch any game that uses controllers. You can set the buttons, paddles, axis and shifter and the data is saved to the Windows registry. But I deleted the profile for LFS with no results. So it appears the profiler wasn't the cause.

I'm still at a loss. Thanks for your help.

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG